Rail Fan Friendly Ham Radio Repeater Near NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION RAIL FANS: W2UHF is the NYC metro area’s leading rail fan-friendly, wide coverage area, Amateur Radio repeater system. New users, especially rail fans, always welcome; this is an open repeater system!

W2UHF is the club callsign of the Morris-Essex Amateur Radio Club (MEARC), which currently operates the W2UHF, linked repeater system on 146.835 MHz, CTCSS 151.4 from Pearl River, NY (Rockland County), 443.900 MHz, CTCSS 151.4 from Bedminster, NJ (Somerset County), and 448.875 MHz, CTCSS 151.4 Hz from Verona, NJ (Essex County). All repeaters are also accessible via EchoLink node# 268867.

Tony

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Excellent information! I wonder if there are any other railfan-friendly repeaters on the Amateur Radio bands across the country? I know there use to be a few HF Nets on 40 meters for railroad employees and railfans many years ago, but I wonder if they are still active?

73's

Ron

kc9hyr

Premium Subscriber
hi this is kc9hyr a 13 year old rail fan just seeing whats up in NYC allthough i am from wisconsin and live right off the union pacific line. oh happy 4th

ironhorse1

Gaffney, SC Railfan Friendly Repeater

There's a railfan friendly repeater in Gaffney, South Carolina. Info is as follows...

123.0 PL
WB4BLI
Ask about the Auto-Patch if needed.

WB4BLI (Billy) is normally available during the day, is quite knowledgeable about the local railroads and loves to talk about them.

Thunderbolt said:
Excellent information! I wonder if there are any other railfan-friendly repeaters on the Amateur Radio bands across the country? I know there use to be a few HF Nets on 40 meters for railroad employees and railfans many years ago, but I wonder if they are still active?

73's

Ron

stevelton

KC9GMX repeater in Fairfield, IL is owned by me, and I am a very active railfan.
442.625 +5, 123.0pl

Steven

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Assuming you're near one of these repeaters, you will hear an amateur radio repeater. Railfans may use these repeaters to coordinate.

jwb8734

Premium Subscriber
if i plug in these frequencies what will I hear? dont know much about repeaters.

You would hear a Ham Operator that likes Rail Road talk and anything Rail Road.

Please do note if you are not lisenced by the FCC ad a HAM OPERATOR you can not talk on the ham bands.

bcd396t

i just got a bcd396t scanner dos it work good for railroad band ? and what is the deference between a scanner and a receiver the icom or AOR makes ?

timkilbride

Database Admin
ATTENTION RAIL FANS: W2UHF is the NYC metro area’s leading rail fan-friendly, wide coverage area, Amateur Radio repeater system. New users, especially rail fans, always welcome; this is an open repeater system!

W2UHF is the club callsign of the Morris-Essex Amateur Radio Club (MEARC), which currently operates the W2UHF, linked repeater system on 146.835 MHz, CTCSS 151.4 from Pearl River, NY (Rockland County), 443.900 MHz, CTCSS 151.4 from Bedminster, NJ (Somerset County), and 448.875 MHz, CTCSS 151.4 Hz from Verona, NJ (Essex County). All repeaters are also accessible via EchoLink node# 268867.

Tony

Does this still have echolink?

Tim K.

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
Rail Fan AMATEUR RADIO

My buddy Mark and I are railfans and also license Hams. We went to Strasburg earlier the and we use 2 meter simplex channel, he took the train ride while I wondered around the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum and yard. The radios worked as expected maybe a mile or mile 1/2, but what do you expect with steel gertters a 5 watt HTs? One of the was honoest to God die hard Motorola and other was the Yaesu FT 60R.

kamikaze1

Premium Subscriber
Wb4bli

There's a railfan friendly repeater in Gaffney, South Carolina. Info is as follows...

123.0 PL
WB4BLI
Ask about the Auto-Patch if needed.

WB4BLI (Billy) is normally available during the day, is quite knowledgeable about the local railroads and loves to talk about them.

yes your right ive heard WB4BLI and few others one afternoon talking about NS and SF trains

shield1751

Premium Subscriber

73's

Ron

Yes there are. Between Philadelphia/Wimington,DE area...in Chester, PA 444.700 (131.8) and 224.700 (131.8). Owner is long time B&O/RDG/WM/PRR fan... Control op is PRSL fan....WE talk trains!

de KM3W

shield1751

Premium Subscriber
Hey Fellow RR fan.....I am an active railfan in the Philly area and own 444.7 and 224.7...maybe all of us should think about echolink or Allstar. I think it would be neat to have a country wide net.

de KM3W

echolink 51003

Status
Not open for further replies.