• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ram Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcoleman

I'm looking to get a Ram Mount set-up to install a PSR-800 in my vehicle. I was curious if anyone has had experience with the Universal X-Grip for a large phone.

I'm looking at the RAM-B-316-1-UN10U kit.

The rubber grips are 7/8" in height while the radio is easily 1". Does the X-Grip provide enough grip strength to support the PSR-800 or is there another device cradle recommendation that Ram makes that would be a better option. (So far I haven't seen anything.)

Thanks in advance for any input and suggestions.

Keith,

DJ11DLN

The deep phone mounts work surprisingly well with these radios. Take the batteries out of your radio and run it on USB power, that will reduce weight somewhat and help keep it in place over rough spots.

Cognomen

I don't like the look of the X-grip style mounts.

I made a cradle out of aluminum that uses the scanner's belt clip. Just 2 bends and a cut-out for the USB cable. Then added a RAM diamond, using counter-sunk holes so the scanner sits flat. Painted matte black to reduce reflections. Added a piece of guard tape used for protecting helicopter blades, where the belt clip slides over the cradle. The cradle can be attached to any RAM setup.

3.jpg

4.jpg

10.jpg

13.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The deep phone mounts work surprisingly well with these radios.

I've never had a problem with the scanner falling out of the finger mount, and I've driven thousands of miles with that setup, on rough roads and off-road.

kcoleman

The deep phone mounts work surprisingly well with these radios. Take the batteries out of your radio and run it on USB power, that will reduce weight somewhat and help keep it in place over rough spots.

Excellent!! That's how I'm currently powering the radio in the car. I appreciate the response.

Keith,

kcoleman

Impressive metal working skills Cognomen.

I think a bit more than I want to get into. But I do appreciate the reply and enjoyed the pics... good job!!

Keith,

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I know several people using the x grip ram mounts on motorcycles to hold a GPS with no problems. I was surprised at how well they hold.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Thanks for the input Jon. I'll take a look at this.

You're welcome. I would suggest leaving the batteries in, so the scanner doesn't shut down if the power cable vibrates loose, or when you are starting the vehicle. The mount holds things securely enough that the scanner isn't going to vibrate loose from the mount even if the batteries are in.

DJ11DLN

I've never had a problem with the scanner falling out of the finger mount, and I've driven thousands of miles with that setup, on rough roads and off-road.
Me either, but I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law. I feel better about it without the batteries in the radios.

My old pickup had a basically useless slide-out cup holder at the top center of the dash. I made a slot in it with a Dremel and used to just slip the belt clip into it, similar to what Cognomen did with his custom mount, just not nearly as pretty.:(

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Me either, but I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law. I feel better about it without the batteries in the radios.

That's ridiculous. The weight of the batteries is negligible relative to the radio, and the RAM finger mount is a honey badger--it doesn't care how bumpy the road is, the radio isn't moving. I've used them for years for scanners and HTs and they have never budged in the mount.The only thing that might budge them loose is a highway-speed collision, and the presence or absence of batteries will make zero difference.

You're more likely to damage the scanner by unceremoniously cutting power than by it falling out of the mount.

DJ11DLN

That's ridiculous. The weight of the batteries is negligible relative to the radio, and the RAM finger mount is a honey badger--it doesn't care how bumpy the road is, the radio isn't moving. I've used them for years for scanners and HTs and they have never budged in the mount.The only thing that might budge them loose is a highway-speed collision, and the presence or absence of batteries will make zero difference.

You're more likely to damage the scanner by unceremoniously cutting power than by it falling out of the mount.
Do as you wish, not gonna get into an argument, but just FYI, according to the specs in the back of the owner's manual, my Pro-18 weighs 210 grams without batteries. I'd have to presume that dry weight of a PSR-800/Pro-668/WS-1080/1088 would be very similar. Google says that size AA lithium-ion batteries weigh 25 grams each, for a total of 100 grams. I don't personally consider an increase in weight over "dry" of almost 50% to be "negligible."

But again, do as you please, this isn't worth arguing about.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I use mine to hold a Uniden BCD436HP, which weighs about 390 grams with batteries and attached cables, and it has never shifted even slightly in the RAM mount, even when driving off-road on rough trails. The HT I carry in the RAM mount next to it weighs about the same and has never shifted either, even when pulling on the cord while talking into the speaker mic while driving on rough trails.

The weight of the batteries is negligible compared to the weight the mounts can hold securely even when pulling on cords while going over severe bumps.

bharvey2

I don't like the look of the X-grip style mounts.

I made a cradle out of aluminum that uses the scanner's belt clip. Just 2 bends and a cut-out for the USB cable. Then added a RAM diamond, using counter-sunk holes so the scanner sits flat. Painted matte black to reduce reflections. Added a piece of guard tape used for protecting helicopter blades, where the belt clip slides over the cradle. The cradle can be attached to any RAM setup.

That's nice work. I've got a PRO668 that I've been trying to decide how to carry in my truck. I use a cell phone mount but it seems flimsy to me. I may go the same route you did.

BigC801

I'm looking to get a Ram Mount set-up to install a PSR-800 in my vehicle. I was curious if anyone has had experience with the Universal X-Grip for a large phone.

I'm looking at the RAM-B-316-1-UN10U kit.

The rubber grips are 7/8" in height while the radio is easily 1". Does the X-Grip provide enough grip strength to support the PSR-800 or is there another device cradle recommendation that Ram makes that would be a better option. (So far I haven't seen anything.)

Thanks in advance for any input and suggestions.

Keith,

I use this ram mount RAM Universal Finger-Grip

Use it every day and they work great for the 436hp and TRX 1, Just got to set it so the power cable can hook up. Holds tight.

20170319_201415_zpsasl0xdrs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170319_201358_zpsuohtnp7n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'd suggest extending the bottom support out as far as it will go, so that the scanner sits lower in the mount and the top fingers grip just below the menu button and port cover. That also gives you the option to add another finger on top for additional stability.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
ive used the x grip for both my cell and handheld scanners. Works great with HD suction cup for window.

Status
Not open for further replies.