Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin

Apparently the RCMP are all Encrypted throughout the majority of BC now. Or are they??

Interesting to note that in Chilliwack the RCMP are dispatched on what RRDS has listed as M4 (139.350) and I hear them fine with my new RadioShack digital iScan. My dad only hears the raw data on his older RadioShack scanner when he programs in the same frequency. I will have to send in the "updates" to the different freqs and info out in the Fraser Valley which include being able to monitor the RCMP right out to Hope!

After Hope I didn't hear anything else until I got into Pemberton. (I actually have a frequency list with all the new RCMP channels which I can submit - not having them programmed into the iScan may have been the reason I didn't hear anything between Hope and Pemberton). When I got into the Pemberton area I saw the RCMP members talking on their radios and could hear the beginning of the encrypted conversations on the different channels. What was puzzling to me was the fact that after a few seconds of listeneing to the encryption I was then listening to a telephone busy signal as clear as a bell! So are they blocking their signal somehow?? If I can hear the telephone busy signal clearly why can't I hear the clear voice? And why the difference between Chilliwack and Whistler. Same radios.

Has anybody ever heard of this before? And if so, care to elaborate?

Thanks!

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The busy signal is a feature of your scanner. It provides that tone to let you know that encrypted comms are still going on on that frequency.

I had that on my GRE PSR-800 when I owned one. I forget what precisely the options are, but I think that you could choose to hear the encrypted noise, hear the "tone" (busy signal), or silence.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Doesn't this belong in one of the Canada forums?

It would probably be more appropriate in Prairies & Pacific Coast.. if its existence for the past 2+ weeks with no replies in the Federal forum is bothering you that much.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I recently had to drive out to Tofino. Must say that for the most part of my 2 week trip, the radios were boring, that is, little activity. Unfortunately, I did not take a digital scanner so cannot comment on RCMP digital frequencies. I did hear analog RCMP on: 139.56 which I have as Mission. I did hear the Tofino link, but honestly can't remember if it was 419.3875 or 419.6375. Now I didn't pay close attention but it seemed when the link came up and down there were tones or beeping. This probably isn't related to the telephone busy signal but just posting for some information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.