RCMP Repeaters...How to???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozi

Hi, I work for the RCMP, at detachment and all, where I do use the radio quite often, problem being the radio at my desk is too complicated (i mean old and really weird) for me, so I have to walk across the detachment to the main base to get to use the radio, because we dont have enough portables, (as the other detachment I work for gives me one no problem...no shortage there). I have a yaesu FT-250, VX-150, and a VX-8. My question being, how can I, or what do i need to set, in order for my radio to be able to open and me talk on the repeater? I understand this would be illegal under all other circumstances, but I am authorized, so we are trying to figure out how to work it.
Rx: 155.790 (the main one I listen to on)
Tx: 154.950 (Can only hear members, not control)
Simplex: 155:670 (Never hear anything there)
as well according to this site:
Tone: 131.8 PL (CTCSS tone)

I dont need to RTT I just need to be able to Tx to the other radio, via opening the repeater...
If anyone can give me a hand with this it would me much appreciated

Kozi
ride@live.ca

mobile1

All the radios on your list are HAM band radios so they can RX on those frequencies but they cannot TX on those channels. Your radios TX only on 144-to-148 MHz in the VHF band. In my location all RCMP officers must 10-36 = log in wth radio # and reg # only then can they use a radio on the system.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure if you are authorized the radio techs at the post garage in K-Division could help you out. You may even find your detachment has a base station repeater which would not be on any of those frequencies but linked to them. There are only about 4 A3 repeaters in Alberta.

Harry

kozi

yea fair enough, we were afriad thats the way it would be...we think we might just borrow a portable from the other detachment haha. we were just trying to see whether or not we could do it with these radios here...

Thanks anyways all.

Kozi

colby4601

yea fair enough, we were afriad thats the way it would be...we think we might just borrow a portable from the other detachment haha. we were just trying to see whether or not we could do it with these radios here...

Thanks anyways all.

Kozi

If you really need a radio in the detachment at your desk, your Cpl., Sgt., or S/Sgt., would authorize the acquisition of one. Don't go using anything unauthorized while working with the RCMP. If ANYTHING goes wrong, you will be held liable. Don't risk it. Regardless of whether or not you are authorized, use a radio only if you have it in writing from your S/Sgt.

electricsheep

I have a yaesu FT-250, VX-150, and a VX-8. My question being, how can I, or what do i need to set, in order for my radio to be able to open and me talk on the repeater? I understand this would be illegal under all other circumstances, but I am authorized, so we are trying to figure out how to work it.

It does not matter who you are, modifying amateur radio equipment to broadcast outside the amateur bands is illegal. It does not matter if you are authorized. You would have to take a commercial VHF radio to a radio shop (or your post radio techs) and a letter of authorization or a copy of the industry Canada license and have a radio programmed that way. In the same way you can't use a radio not made expressly for the amateur bands in the amateur bands unless you are the holder of an advanced license.
EDIT: I see you work out of the Banff detachment? They are hard up for radios at the banff detachment?? I thought that was one of the more well stocked posts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.