RCS NextGen testing thread

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Picking up signal on 855.7125MHz...I think this is the Nextgen...? It lit up my NextGen licensed frequencies conventional scan list.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I programmed up a new system with that control channel, set it to record and scan Wildcards. :)

I set bandplan to auto fill, and I have a "T" indicator showing, so I would assume that is all I need to do to receive a trunked Phase II system on a newer Whistler?

Paul

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
(RCS NextGen) North County area?
852.5750 NAC 575 SystemID:57E Site 1-45 - Control Channel

(RCS NextGen) South County area?
855.7125 NAC 571 SystemID:57E Site 1-41 - Control Channel

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I am not able to receive anything on 852.5750MHz from my location in San Carlos, using the antenna I get good North RCS coverage with. :-\

Paul

allend

Premium Subscriber
Wonder if this new NextGen system in SD county will follow suit like OC is doing by locking down their whole system now including FIRE.

Hope not

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
I'm picking up the 852.575 control channel in San Marcos. No talkgroups heard.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Great logs Brian!

RCS NextGen system has been added to the database:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=10521

I can barely hear the site 1-45 control channel on 852.575 from mid city, so I'm guessing this is the North Simulcast Cell (not west). If anyone can confirm that would be appreciated.

Are the radio tech talkgroups that have been identified Phase II TDMA, or still Phase I? Since RCS legacy and NextGen share the same ASTRO 25 core, I multiplied the talkgroups by 16 and sure enough they are "MW-D" and "MOT-SYS-TECH" respectively.

Now that this system is in the database, please feel free to start making submissions as things develop.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Site 41, talkgroup 2193, is active with voice traffic. TRX-2 decode is excellent, same antenna and scanner that decodes the SD City 700MHz system horribly.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Lots of "Testing 1, 2, 3, 4..." around midday, mostly on talkgroup 3005 in Phase II. The audio was garbled, so not sure if it was LSM on my end or maybe the garbled audio was what they were trying to tune out. Most of the test traffic on 3005 was on 855.9625. Anyone know if you can receive Phase 2 if you monitor a frequency as a conventional frequency?

Paul

JoeyC

I've heard snippets of words also garbly on talkgroups 2191, 945, 2193, 3001 & 3002, few and far between. Interestingly, I have never heard any response back after the testing words. That is with the 536.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Great logs Brian!

RCS NextGen system has been added to the database:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=10521

I can barely hear the site 1-45 control channel on 852.575 from mid city, so I'm guessing this is the North Simulcast Cell (not west). If anyone can confirm that would be appreciated.

Are the radio tech talkgroups that have been identified Phase II TDMA, or still Phase I? Since RCS legacy and NextGen share the same ASTRO 25 core, I multiplied the talkgroups by 16 and sure enough they are "MW-D" and "MOT-SYS-TECH" respectively.

Now that this system is in the database, please feel free to start making submissions as things develop.

1-45 and 852.575 are West Cell. New antenna patterns, so it won't necessarily cover where you think it would. Tech TGs should be Phase 1.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
1-45 and 852.575 are West Cell. New antenna patterns, so it won't necessarily cover where you think it would. Tech TGs should be Phase 1.

Does this mean that if I cannot receive the West Site at my scanner location, there will be agencies or primary talkgroups I may be missing traffic on? I get the old North site loud and clear on my remote scanner at my home, and am worried I may loose some coverage if there is not carryover to Sites I can actually receive...not sure if all the simulcast transmitter locations are active yet though.

And my TRX2 recordings are all coming up garbled like I get with the SD City 700 system...I let it record while I am sleeping...not sure if this is the system itself or if it's the TRX2 just not liking LSM. Swapping it out for a WS1098 to record tomorrow to see if it is any better. My stations APX purchases won't happen until Q3 this year, and our Phase II scanner purchases were pushed deep into 2020 due to the TRX100/200 debacle, so crossing fingers for patches to the old RCS to stay active as long as possible.

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Paul,

You should not see a difference between the current North and the new West Cells. You may not be able to receive the new North Cell, depending on where you are.

The new network is still being aligned, so you may get better reception on it later this spring.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
If by aligned, you mean the yagi are currently pointed towards the Pacific Ocean, that would make complete sense. (is yagi [yeah-guy] the plural of yagi?) :)