• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

RE-Programming a M1225 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

john98225

I am hoping some of you with the experience will give me any helpful tips on modifying the programming of a 20-channel VHF M1225.

I recently bought the radio from someone on eBay. He "threw in" the programming. I now find I'd like to modify it a little here and there. I purchased the RSS version 4 software (same version the seller used), and I ordered a ribless serial-to-RJ45 cable (which should arrive next week).

After installing the software and checking out the programming options, I think all I have to do is first 'READ' the radio, and then create a file with the data. Is that right? (The required codeplug including the radio's serial number is a new concept for me.)

Once I have the data file, I plan to copy it, rename the copy, and then change and manipulate the settings in that file. Then program the radio with that file ... is that all there is to it?

Are there any common pitfalls, mistakes, things to avoid, etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

firefive76

Don't know about how anybody else feels, but what I have done is "read" the radio, then saved that file in case something should go wrong. After that, change whatever settings in the RSS and write it to the radio, and save that file as something else. Doing this keeps the old file (to have a fall back on) and your new file.

john98225

Thanks, firefive76 ... that's exactly what I'm planning to do. Just wondering if there are hazards along the way a rookie-programmer like me needs to avoid.

DPapay

Make sure you close all running programs, and run the programming software exclusively. Also make sure power to the radio is secure. You do not want any disruptions during the read/write process.

Nasby

I'm kinda in the same boat. I recently bought an HT1250 with CPS. I've had it for about 2 weeks and have finally figured out most of the settings. I would say just take your time. Save the original codeplug after reading the radio as others suggested. Then play around with the software. After a few hours, I'll bet you'll get the hang of it. Its really not all that different from programming a digital scanner with software. Another good source for programming help and advice is batlabs.com.

john98225

Thanks, snjct2000. Checked out batlabs.com. Pretty technical, and some seemingly outdated "programming primer" info; recommended to boot the computer in DOS, etc. Anyway, like you suggested, I plan to take my time and be pretty cautious along the way.

bezking

Actually, if the software you are using is RSS (runs in a DOS prompt), as opposed to true CPS (runs in graphical Windows), it IS necessary to use a computer with about a 386 processor and boot it in DOS mode to use RSS. Otherwise, from what I have heard, if you just run it in a Windows DOS prompt, you have a pretty good chance at killing the radio when you write to it...

john98225

Bezking wrote: Actually, if the software you are using is RSS (runs in a DOS prompt), as opposed to true CPS (runs in graphical Windows), it IS necessary to use a computer with about a 386 processor and boot it in DOS mode to use RSS. Otherwise, from what I have heard, if you just run it in a Windows DOS prompt, you have a pretty good chance at killing the radio when you write to it...

I believe RSS generally refers to Radio Service Software (in the context of this forum), and includes today's versions, like Motorola's HVN9054 for the Radius - which is not run in DOS, but rather made for Windows 95, 98 & XP. My comment about batlabs.com's "Motorola Programming Primer" (which I'm assuming was made for newbies like me), made no reference to today's CPS/GUI versions - so the so-called primer seemed "outdated" to me.

Just out of curiosity, how many years ago was the last Motorola software current that required DOS, and how many years have they had versions that ran in a Windows GUI? Maybe batlab.com could update their "primer" so newbies aren't confused or intimidated by the warnings of killing their radios?

Attachments

• radius software logo.jpg
    radius software logo.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 4,291

bezking

Yet another thing I learned on the RR forums. I've never seen graphical software called RSS! :D

I don't know for sure when the last true DOS RSS was NLAed. The only reason that that is still there is some of the most popular radios Moto ever made (saber, spectra to name a few) do require a 386 and true DOS...

RKG

Yet another thing I learned on the RR forums. I've never seen graphical software called RSS! :D

I don't know for sure when the last true DOS RSS was NLAed. The only reason that that is still there is some of the most popular radios Moto ever made (saber, spectra to name a few) do require a 386 and true DOS...

Not certain, but a candidate for the last DOS-based RSS was when the MT2000 was split off from the MTS/MCS2000 CPS package. MT2000 can now be programmed only by DOS-based MTSX, which I believe is NLA.

W2NJS

Back to John's original query, if you're doing a UHF M1225 the ham frequencies have to be typed in as capital letters, except for the period, so for 446.0000 you'd type in $$^.)))). Other than that the programming operation is not complicated.

Tom in D.C.
W2NJS

john98225

Thanks to all for their input. I have a VHF model so I'm happy to hear it won't be that complicated.

BTW, this is a great forum group; haven't used/visited RR that much since I joined a few years ago. It's definitely nice to have the input & feedback from those who have time to help. Thanks again to everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.