OP25 Rebooting Raspberry Pi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I am thinking of setting up a Raspberry Pi 4 with an SDR and OP25 in my 2019 Ford Ranger to listen to a P25 system. I would use the Bluetooth to send audio to the Ford Sync audio system. I would power it via a usb charger in one the truck's 12V ports. The Pi would, of course, be set up to start OP25 on bootup so it could be headless. My question is this: The truck's 12V ports are on only with the ignition. Would the constant killing of power and rebooting every time I start or stop the truck have any adverse effect on the Pi or corrupt the SD card?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
It's generally considered a bad idea to do that (pulling power) to a Pi. Take a look for a hat or other accessory that you can press a button and do a clean shutdown.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Any time you yank power from a PI (or have random power spikes and lulls) I would be concerned about instant SD Card failure . Notorious platform for SD Card failures due to improper shutting down. I'm not saying there aren't ways around that (like lessening the log writing intervals and such). But in general, I have a feeling you'd be asking for a lot of trouble. Ive used PIs for years, and IMO they are a dainty platform.

I have an Odroid (much more expensive) with an EMMC card -- much more reliable.

Of course, it's quite possible that if you as careful about power with the PI as you are with a Uniden SDS, you may not have a problem. The problem is there is no shutdown button of any sort on the PI that will gracefully shutdown and turn on the PI.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.