Receiver Comments Sought...

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Howdy All!
I live and work around the Bridgeport area (RF Hell) . I am ready to step up to a more serious wide band receiver. I have my dedicated scanners so whatever choice I make will NOT be "instead of" but" along side" of them all. Now,I can read all the different brochures until I'm blue in the face. I choose to ask the actual users for their comments. I have narrowed the field down to 2 receivers. First, I need to decide if there is a difference between the AOR 8200 MK II and the MKIII version. Second, I am interested in the Yupiteru MVT 9000 MK II. I want to know what those of you who own these think about them. I monitor mainly above 30 MHZ. but I would like the choice of hearing a little HF once in a while. So, are any of the above mentioned worth the money here in RF hell?

Manny/N1SQB

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Manny you might want to take a look at some of the stuff found in our Wiki - I realize that it might not be a first person review, but it will give you some ideas about what and how these widebanders perform...

First, we have a whole page devoted to the AOR8200...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/AR8200

and on our Milcom receiving equipment wiki, there's both comments from Rich Wells and some Eham notes on the MVT9000...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Milcom_Receiving_Equipment

Personally I wouldn't depend on a wideband handheld to do very well in a RF Hell type area - it's just too much to expect such radios not to choke if you're in an area with, let's say, numerous pagers and MW/FM or TV towers within sight. I would expect HF to be seriously degraded; they may be OK for hearing the VoA, BBC and the like, but beyond that...well...
I'd say you'd be better off with a good dedicated portable (which may also choke, to be fair...) than a wideband handheld. I wouldn't put too much of an antenna on either, come to think of it. 73s and GL..Mike

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike!
I did not realize the wiki was there. I appreciate the advise too. I am in RF hell right now with lots of pagers,a 50Kwatt fm radio station, and 2 hospitals to throw in the mix. My dedicated scanners with PL/DPL do pretty good with aircraft being the only exeption. ( I have an Icom IC-A22 anyway for that). Having said that, this will be a temporary problem. I am in the process of buying a new home. This home is located on top of a hill in another city far away from the RF Hell area. Ive already done a few tests and have gotten some very pleasant results. I would still be coming to this area to work however and would be carrying the radio(s) with me. OH God,decisions decisions.......Thanks again Mike

Manny/N1SQB

Status
Not open for further replies.