Receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
What’s everyone who have receivers, not scanners, that work fairly well in Minnesota? Since Minnesota is on the way to total encryption for police and fire and whatever else, I see no reason to upgrade my scanner. But I still like listening to other frequencies, air, HF, etc.. My 436 works ok but know from past radios (owned a AOR 8200 and yeasu 840 in past years) that a receiver is better at other than police and fire. If you have a receiver, please post model and what your listening to. Me, air and HF has my interests. Currently considering the Icom R30 but still not sure if a base station or hand held is what I want.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I think polie and fire services will go first but wont all go at once. Am considering the R30 for other things to listen to. Would like to get the R8600 but out of my reach for now. So what are you using the R30 for?

CQ

I think polie and fire services will go first but wont all go at once. Am considering the R30 for other things to listen to. Would like to get the R8600 but out of my reach for now. So what are you using the R30 for?

Have almost 1,500 freqs for my initial test with mostly FM, P25 and some AM. Still have to get trunked systems individual freqs in there. Combo of LE/Fire/EMS/Gov/Mil.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
bearcatrp - a Base receiver is always going to be more sensitive and Receives more modes. you also have the benefit of a Full Color Bandscope as opposed to the one on the R30. however the R30 is Transportable from Walking, Car and Home, you just need to connect to an External Antenna. FOR a Decade or more I used my R20 everywhere, I have in my Mobile kit , a Radio Shack telescoping HAM antenna that is Center Loaded and also a Dedicated high gain Dual Bander for VHF/UHF Rubberduck. I also pack my Sangean Roll up antenna, that combined with my 26" Telescoping HAM antenna, does a good job with SW, HF and MW. obviously a external HF antenna would be better but are hard to set up and you got to pack then unpack it. I want to get a R30 as an Upgrade but the lack of DMR is keeping me from buying it. My other Receiver ICOM R10 is failing and needs Replacement. also a good radio. but R20/R30 more Advanced.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Thanks folks. Will be keeping an eye on Icom to see what there updates bring. DMR is what folks want. If they could offer it as an upgrade due to licensing, may jump on it. Will wait and see.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
So far, am impressed with the R30. Still learning it. Since Minnesota is still on phase I armer P25, it picks up great. Wasn’t planning on selling my 436 but the R30 does everything I need. Posted it on Craigslist. Still intrigued on the 200 but will wait for first had user reports and see if any posts come up on returns.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I really like wide range communications receivers, even though I don't currently have any. I had an AOR AR-3000 a n umber of years ago and somewhat more recently I had an AOR AR-5000. I bought both of them second hand and sold both for about what I bought them for, so, essentially, I used them for free. I did also buy the optional CTCSS Decoder for the 5000.

On a different sub-forum here I was reading about the AOR AR-DV 1. I would love to h ave one of those. The handheld AOR-Yaesu AR-DV10 looks interesting, but folks on that forum said to steer clear of it.

I really like a wide-band receiver, that is very sensitive and selective, and will decode multiple digital modes ad well as whatever selective signalling they use, like PL/DPL/CC/TS/TG ID #, NAC Code, etc. It is a hoot to use good quality, low loss feed line and see what you can hear and how far away. I have even used Butel software to perform unattended logging.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I looked at the DV-1. Looked pretty good too. Decided the R30 fit the bill. Had a AOR8200 many years ago. A bit of a learning curve. Think it was 98 time frame. Allot has changed since then. Scanners are good for more specific things vs receivers cover the entire spectrum. Still have allot to learn on the R30.

Status
Not open for further replies.