WS1040: Rechargeable Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The point we are making is, "IT'S NOT DANGEROUS" to charge using the charger that came with the scanner. It's probably less risky than charging with external chargers.

If you really believe this...then there is no hope and no use explaining any further. :rolleyes:

And who is the "we" in "the point we are making"? Sounds like it was "you" as everyone else, from what I see, is saying don't charge in the scanner. Why? Because of all of the issues people have had and, gasp, common sense because the scanner uses timer and not voltage sensing when charging.

Fortunately, everyone else responded with the correct answer and good advice to use an external charger. Glad to see that.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Again, CHARGING THE BATTERIES IN AN EXTERNAL CHARGER, IS FASTER, BETTER FOR BATTERIES, GIVES THEM A BETTER CHARGE. I can't say that any louder.

BUT, saying, "it is safer", sorry, is JUST NOT TRUE. I'm not saying don't do it, I do it, EVERY DAY! I have no problem with it. BUT, also, do NOT say external battery chargers are safe, THEY ARE NOT! Especially the expensive ones we are all talking about here, which are made in, ok, lets get this right now, ASIAN countries. These are the same types of country's UN-fortunately that have lied to the world about a virus break out in the country for months, which lead to a world pandemic. They also lie about the quality and SAFETY of the products they often manufacture.

Google it and see what external chargers do on a daily basis. Most of which is much worse than melting the plastic on the back of your $200 scanner.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
OK, the clarifying statement is that it is “safer for the scanner”.

I thought this was understood...

Well, that is acceptable imo. ;)

What I really dislike is the constant posts/threads on here over the years stating it's just generally dangerous to charge devices directly. I had a lengthy heated argument (where I was absolutely berated by mutiple "regulars" on this forum) a few years ago on a "battery type" thread where people got so ridiculous they were saying it was unsafe to charge a cell phone without removing the battery. I kept repeating, please remove the battery on my $1000 iPhone and charge it. LOL They kept ignoring that statement.

Anyway, it is clearly better to charge the batteries in scanners that come with AA type batteries in external chargers. It's faster, they get a better charge, they last longer because of it. BUT, it really is NOT safer in the big picture.

This is EXACTLY why I am a big proponent of pushing scanner manufacturers to go back to making scanners with Lithium Ion battery packs along with drop in desktop chargers for them as with most other handheld radio's in the world. We get better battery performance(more capacity), EASIER charging (just drop the unit in in the charger!).

Whistler, Uniden, ARE YOU listening?? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, I'm begging you! I curse daily as I remove the scanner from case, remove the back cover, fight with the batteries to get out, fight to get them in my charger, fight with another set of batteries to re-install, put the back cover back on, put the scanner back in it's case.... [insert shaking head here] You can also design an accessory battery pack that takes 3 or 4 regular AA's as well for those that for some UN-known reason like to play with AA and AAA batteries all day! ;)

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Battery pack like on the SDS100...? Just no drop in charger...I’m sure they’d say that would increase the price too much. In fact I think that’s what they said when someone asked about that back during the announcement.

WB9YBM

I've had a Bearcat hand-held--must be about 25-30 years by now, and have had to replace the rechargeable batteries only once. (I guess that shows I must be doing something right!) I charge the batteries while leaving them in the radio, with no problems; as for charge time I follow whatever directions there are in the instruction book. If you can find a copy of "CQ: Amateur Radio" magazine from January 2019, check out the article "A Better Battery Charger" on pages 51-4. (It gives details beyond just building the charger.)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Differences:
  • Batteries are charged in series in the scanner (over time each ages differently)
  • Batteries are charged in parallel in an external charger (better charge for each separate battery)
  • Scanner uses a timer to determine end of charge (regardless of how dead a battery might have been initially)
  • External chargers measure each battery's charge to determine when to terminate (ideal)
  • When batteries overcharge in your charger, it's usually no big deal
  • When batteries overcharge in your scanner, it could melt the case and cost quite a bit to repair)
  • You will get a lot longer life from the batteries when individually charged (and not over-charged)

These comments are with regard to scanner and external charger stated here

CycleSycho

Differences:
  • Batteries are charged in series in the scanner (over time each ages differently)
  • Batteries are charged in parallel in an external charger (better charge for each separate battery)
  • Scanner uses a timer to determine end of charge (regardless of how dead a battery might have been initially)
  • External chargers measure each battery's charge to determine when to terminate (ideal)
  • When batteries overcharge in your scanner, it could melt the case and cost quite a bit to repair)
  • You will get a lot longer life from the batteries when individually charged (and not over-charged)

These comments are with regard to scanner and external charger stated here

:) Getting the popcorn maker ready..... :)

:) Personally, I like the external chargers for exactly the same reasons. :)

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Differences:
True sometimes, but not always. Only good more expensive external battery chargers do 1, or both of these. Many of the inexpensive chargers that most poeple buy do NOT charge any differently than most scanners. Either time based OR voltage/amperage based. Unfortunately, most people buy the cheapest items on Amazon/eBay they can find, and you get what you pay for.

A melted plastic case on your scanner can sometimes actually be the "no big deal" here! The charger in the scanner is a low amperage trickle charger. But the external charger is usually a higher amperage and when they fail, and they do OFTEN, you can melt down your entire house or apartment building! I've been charging scanners, hand held radios, smart phones, wireless home phones, toys, tools,..... for 50 years and have never (knock knock knock on wood!) had a device "melted" from doing it. In that same time, I have however had 2 separate AA type battery chargers fail, both melting to just short of a point of fire. I now keep my Nitecore intellicharger multi charger on a metal desk for that reason.

True. But again not all chargers do this properly. In fact, most don't.

:) Personally, I like the external chargers for exactly the same reasons. :)

Me too! Except, I would GREATLY prefer if the scanner manufacturers would make them "properly", with a Lion battery pack, and drop in desktop charger which would solve everybody's problem! ;)

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Still a lot of "shaking my head" and eye rolling to do when reading the above...

Folks, be careful...just because someone writes a lot and seems to pick apart someone else's post doesn't mean they are right here. ;)

It was all well said and you were accurate, @gmclam!

wtp

my main reason for an external charger is....LIGHTNING.
i live in Florida, lightning capital of the U.S.
my wife stopped charging in the radio when it was getting too hot to pick up during charging.(uniden 396XT)
and remember with a radio timer circuit, just a little blip on the power line and it is starts all over again.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Yes ALWAYS because I wrote: These comments are with regard to scanner and external charger stated here

Actually, no. Because your general statement "external chargers" includes 80% of the chargers sold out there that DO NOT CHARGE each battery separetely, and DO NOT CHARGE they way you want them to.

You could say "These comments are with regards to the Whistler scanner and GOOD, higher priced external chargers. ;) There actually are some scanners out there that charge the internal batteries properly. The old Unidens did, as well as a few models of the AOR some years ago. I haven't looked at recent models....

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Actually, no. Because your general statement "external chargers" includes 80% of the chargers sold out there that DO NOT CHARGE each battery separetely, and DO NOT CHARGE they way you want them to.
We're specifically talking about the WS-1040 and the MAHA charger. If you're using a junk external charger that charges the batteries in series, I am sorry. The statement was NOT general is what specifically related to the external charger and scanner being discussed.

WB9YBM

You could say "These comments are with regards to the Whistler scanner and GOOD, higher priced external chargers. ;) There actually are some scanners out there that charge the internal batteries properly. The old Unidens did, as well as a few models of the AOR some years ago. I haven't looked at recent models....

Again, I'd recommend the article "A Better Battery Charger" in the January 2019 issue of CQ: Amateur Radio magazine, pages 51-4.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Again, I'd recommend the article "A Better Battery Charger" in the January 2019 issue of CQ: Amateur Radio magazine, pages 51-4.

Where is it at online? Please link to said issue...I doubt most of us have them lying around (I'm not a subscriber...).

Machria

Premium Subscriber
We're specifically talking about the WS-1040 and the MAHA charger. If you're using a junk external charger that charges the batteries in series, I am sorry. The statement was NOT general is what specifically related to the external charger and scanner being discussed.

Again, sorry, NO. Nowhere were we discussing specific models of chargers. The statements that I do not like are the general statements that “external chargers are safer”. PERIOD. The facts are, they are not, most of the time. Again, most external chargers are cheaply designed, cheaply made, and with poor quality components. Some, higher priced name brand external chargers such as the MAHA, or the Nitecore intellicharger and the like, are great chargers, and are generally very safe to use. That is what I use, and that is what I recommened, just like you folkS. Nobody is arguing that point. I have two MAHA chargers, and 2 Nitecore chargers, I use them almost daily. I also have a drawer full of a myriad of bad external chargers which often come with some of the battery sets slot on eBay and Amazon I’ve purchased in the past. I’ve opened a few of these up, and you would be shocked to see what is inside of them! Downright SCARY!

I have since stared using nothing but the black Panasonic envelope Pro’s per some threads on here. Those are fantastic batteries I’ve had a great experience with. Of course, it’s ridiculous we all have to waste time and money buying batteries, chargers and the like instead of Whistler and Uniden Just making the chargers/battery packs PROPERLY In the first place.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Of course, it’s ridiculous we all have to waste time and money buying batteries, chargers and the like instead of Whistler and Uniden Just making the chargers/battery packs PROPERLY In the first place.

They utilized regular AA batteries instead of proprietary battery packs because they found out that that’s what the users preferred. That’s been stated before. Of course, the SDS100 uses a proprietary battery pack and after it came out I saw people complaining that they couldn’t just put regular batteries in it.

So, you’ve shared your opinion, which is fine!, but your opinion isn’t shared by all users.

I don’t disagree that a drop in charger would be nice. That’s not my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.