Recommendations for a quality VHF-air transceiver ?

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I’m hoping for some recommendations for a good air band handheld transceiver.

I have owned the Icom IC-A6 for about 10 years now, bought it brand new. Almost as soon as the warranty expired, I started having battery issues. Namely, every time I’d press the TX side button the low battery symbol immediately illuminates. When I release the TX button, the low battery icon goes away after about a second.

So a few years ago I bought a brand new (high capacity) battery direct from Icom. Right out of the box after being charged up, the same low battery issue occurred.

Just looking for something new at this point, not to mention using and programming the Icom IC-A6 is cumbersome to program and use in general.

-Note- Incase anyone asks why I’m transmitting, I’m a Private Pilot.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
I love my IC-A25N. Tried several Vertex handhelds and was not nearly as impressed as I am with the 25. I program it via PC and that helps tremendously.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
I love my IC-A25N. Tried several Vertex handhelds and was not nearly as impressed as I am with the 25. I program it via PC and that helps tremendously.
I just checked it out on the Icom website, and it does indeed look like a great radio.
I’m really impressed with the features, and the overall look of the radio. 6W is great too.
Thank you for taking the time to post that recommendation, much appreciated 😃

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
If you don't need NAV you can go for the 25C but I would say that if you ever need it, it's there and not much more money.

I would also recommend the rechargeable battery version, but I can't remember if mine came with an AA case or if I got one aftermarket.

I am glad I could help and provide insight. I use mine both for flight training as well as in my career maintaining communications systems.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
If you don't need NAV you can go for the 25C but I would say that if you ever need it, it's there and not much more money.

I would also recommend the rechargeable battery version, but I can't remember if mine came with an AA case or if I got one aftermarket.

I am glad I could help and provide insight. I use mine both for flight training as well as in my career maintaining communications systems.
Yes I figure the NAV is a wise option, as that feature could be crucial in an emergency situation.

I think I’ll go with the rechargeable option, as I really like that feature in my SDS-100 scanner.

Thanks again for your insight!