Recommendations on a new radio purchase.

etuck

Premium Subscriber
Before I pull the trigger, Can you hear the same traffic on Broadcastifi streaming than you can on your personal radio such as the SDS100?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Not exactly.

There are some service types that are not allowed on a feed. These include tactical and some EMS channels. And there is no guarantee that a feed provider will include smaller agencies.

In a Broadcastify feed, you hear only what the feed provider has. If something interesting is going on, you’ll only hear it when that channel comes up on the provider’s scanner or other receiving device.

On your own scanner, you can also access the service types not allowed on Broadcastify. And, on your own scanner, it’s your choice whether or not to hold on a channel for an incident in progress.

RichM

Also, is there any Quality Difference in the two radios other than the sds100 being portable, and only $50 more for the desk model?
A few other things to consider regarding base vs handheld. Base stations always have better sound due to having a larger speaker and will also have more volume. The display on a base is also a bit larger and therefore easier to read. Lastly, the control layout on the face of the unit is slightly easier to use on a base.

All the previously mentioned pros for a handheld are also true, so it really boils down to how you plan to use it. Best case scenario is to have both. My base sits on a side table next to my recliner, easy to read, operate and hear. My handheld goes with me when I leave the house, easy to carry, discrete (with ear buds), and versatile.

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
ok, I'm going to chime in, so the op wants a scanner, my best advice is to go for a 325p2 or 996p2 or the 436 or 536, if they work great if not move up the list till you find one that works, now where I live its analog but these fine folks here told me if I ever get digital I better be prepared, so I have a 536 at home and 436 on the road, I have tested my 436 as far as Oregon, works great, my favorite feature of the 436 is it takes AA batteries, same goes with the 325p2 and the other handheld, I'm skeptical about the sds 100 proprietary battery.

but the main thing is if your traveling you need to look for the features you need in a scanner and get that as it will be your scanner.