Rectangle definitions for HP-1 (E)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Hi,
I had an idea that I was going to try this week which involved trying out the rectangles location data function (as opposed to circles). Looking at the rectangular entry screen in the Sentinel Favorites List Editor, there are only two sets of co-ordinate entries (two pairs of lat/longs) per rectangle. This implies to me that the sides of the rectangle must conform to 0°/90°/180°/270° headings. Is this correct?

I was hoping for something more along the lines of this rectangular shape, for reasons which should be obvious if you look at the map:

railway.png

In order to effectively use rectangles to delineate the railways in Alberta, with the "squared" side requirement, would take dozens of small rectangles for each section within a county/city. I don't want to make several large rectangles/squares that overlap large portions of the area surrounding the railway, because the signal is quite directional and I'd rather not hear the staticky, garbled sounds when I'm 15 miles away perpendicularly to a rail line.

I guess what I'm trying to use in the pic above is somewhat more of a polygon than a rectangle, using Uniden's definition of rectangle. Am I right?

JASII

Memory Capacity
Rectangle Definitions For HP-1 (E)

This is interesting. Althought I don't have a Uniden Home Patrol yet, I ahve been giving some thought to gettn one. One of my concerns is the GPS circles, but now that I know that rectangles are possible, that would be better for me. Is this on all Home Patrol units or is this just on the upgraded unit?

KD8HE

Premium Subscriber
This is interesting. Althought I don't have a Uniden Home Patrol yet, I ahve been giving some thought to gettn one. One of my concerns is the GPS circles, but now that I know that rectangles are possible, that would be better for me. Is this on all Home Patrol units or is this just on the upgraded unit?

Configurable in Sentinel Software, "edit favorites"...all HP units.
Harry

KE5TLF

Yep, NW and SE corners are all you can define, or IOW each pair of sides is oriented N/S and E/W only. No diagonals as you are hoping....

While on the topic...
Does anyone know where you can draw rectangles on a map that ALSO has county boundries drawn on it? Haven't looked very hard, but what little I have seen has either one or the other, but not BOTH.

Last edited:

DonS

Does anyone know where you can draw rectangles on a map that ALSO has county boundries drawn on it? Haven't looked very hard, but what little I have seen has either one or the other, but not BOTH.

DeLorme Street Atlas ("USA 2005") lets you draw rectangles, circles, and arbitrary polygons and can show county boundaries.

Google Earth lets you draw arbitrary polygons and can show county boundaries.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I also use Delorme (Topo). But, you can also use some Google apps online to do this. I found a few by Googling

Google Maps Rectangles Draw

Here are a few:
My Google Maps tool
Scribble Maps - Create custom google maps with scribblings and more!

That last one is pretty cool, and will let you export in either GPX or KML format (both are human readable, but you will have to expend some effort to interpret...it outputs all 4 corner locations).

Would be nice to see a tool like this added to rr.com someday to allow rectangles in the dB here.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Been playing with Scribble at lunch. Unfortunately, they don't have a county boundaries layer. But, there is another site at PropertyMaps.com that will draw county boundaries. You can then export the county or counties as xml. Haven't found a quick way to take the xml into Scribble, though. Maybe lunch tomorrow...

EDIT: Found but not tried http://www.ehow.com/how_8662101_convert-xml-kml.html

Last edited:

JASII

Memory Capacity
Rectangle Definitions For HP-1 (E)

Having the ability to select by county would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.