Regency TMR 8H needs help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhendo

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2021
Messages
157
Reaction score
65
Location
Eagan, MN, US&A
I got this off eBay and it was sort of in tougher shape than I thought and I think someone tinkered with it. I'm not much of an electonics guy but I'm trying to get it going.
Pic 1. One bulb was out, so I tried to take it out to see what kind. I didn't realize they were soldered in(?) and I messed that little wire going across and now no bulbs go on. I can't see how to access these..
Pic 2. I think the last owner changed out the on&off/volume switch because, as hard as I try, the volume works buy it doesn't switch on/off. The squelch kinda works but it's sitting in there loose.
Pic 3. The speaker works but it makes a loud hum when scanning. Could I just solder in another 4 inch 1.5W 3.2Ω?
Sorry if any of these are dumb questions. I am sort of a dummy but trying to learn.
 

Attachments

  • 20250821_170449.jpg
    20250821_170449.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20250821_170500.jpg
    20250821_170500.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20250821_170533.jpg
    20250821_170533.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 31

KCA6YU

King Charles Adam 6 Young Union
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
226
Reaction score
126
Location
Las Vegas NV
I have that same model with burned out bulbs also. I didnt think the bulbs were soldered in. As for the on/off problem, getting a new potentiometer will take care of that, as for the speaker, you can try attaching another speaker, but the hum might be caused by something else.
 

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 27, 2002
Messages
2,018
Reaction score
277
The owners manual and service manual are both available at Regency Documentation.

The bulbs are type number 53. They have a bayonet base and are not soldered in.

The speaker itself will not cause hum. The filter capacitor in the power supply may need to be replaced.
 

jjhendo

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2021
Messages
157
Reaction score
65
Location
Eagan, MN, US&A
I have that same model with burned out bulbs also. I didnt think the bulbs were soldered in. As for the on/off problem, getting a new potentiometer will take care of that, as for the speaker, you can try attaching another speaker, but the hum might be caused by something else.
Anyway I can determine what kind of potentiometer? Thanks.
 

jjhendo

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2021
Messages
157
Reaction score
65
Location
Eagan, MN, US&A
The owners manual and service manual are both available at Regency Documentation.

The bulbs are type number 53. They have a bayonet base and are not soldered in.

The speaker itself will not cause hum. The filter capacitor in the power supply may need to be replaced.
The owners manual and service manual are both available at Regency Documentation.

The bulbs are type number 53. They have a bayonet base and are not soldered in.

The speaker itself will not cause hum. The filter capacitor in the power supply may need to be replced.
Is there a way to fix the wire back there? Looks like some missing. Filter capacitor will be a new one for me, but I'll try. Thanks!
 

wtp

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,468
Reaction score
3,151
Location
Port Charlotte FL
the old on-off volume controls had a click to them, does it click anymore ?
and who turns a scanner off ?:)

Audio Output (3.2 Speaker) SCANNER (TMR-8H) 3 Watts @ 10%, or less, distortion; 5 Watts, maximum.
so it would be a 4 inch square speaker at 3.2 ohms and 5 watts.
but that is not the cause of the hum. this is just if you want to replace the 50 year old speaker.
 
Last edited:

jjhendo

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2021
Messages
157
Reaction score
65
Location
Eagan, MN, US&A
the old on-off volume controls had a click to them, does it click anymore ?
and who turns a scanner off ?:)

Audio Output (3.2 Speaker) SCANNER (TMR-8H) 3 Watts @ 10%, or less, distortion; 5 Watts, maximum.
so it would be a 4 inch square speaker at 3.2 ohms and 5 watts.
but that is not the cause of the hum. this is just if you want to replace the 50 year old speaker.
It does not. I've turned it to where I was worried I'd break it. Guess they never wanted to turn it off! Ha. So that hum most likely is the filter capacitor? Anything else?
 
  • Like
Reactions: wtp

wtp

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,468
Reaction score
3,151
Location
Port Charlotte FL
if i recall from high school 50 years ago,
there are two kinds of controls, one is linear and the other is volume or something like that.
so you can measure the two on the outside, but the 'wiper' can change resistance quickly or slowly i can't remember the difference.
just make sure it is for volume control.
 

wtp

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,468
Reaction score
3,151
Location
Port Charlotte FL
Google- Volume control in audio is typically a logarithmic (or audio) taper, while a linear control is based on a direct, proportional relationship between the input and output. The difference lies in how the perceived loudness changes with the control's position, with audio tapers providing a more natural, gradual change in volume because the human ear responds to sound in a non-linear way. Linear controls, on the other hand, change resistance uniformly.

yep, 50 years later and it still rattles around in there somewhere !
 
Last edited:

jjhendo

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2021
Messages
157
Reaction score
65
Location
Eagan, MN, US&A
Google- Volume control in audio is typically a logarithmic (or audio) taper, while a linear control is based on a direct, proportional relationship between the input and output. The difference lies in how the perceived loudness changes with the control's position, with audio tapers providing a more natural, gradual change in volume because the human ear responds to sound in a non-linear way. Linear controls, on the other hand, change resistance uniformly.

yep, 50 years later and it still rattles around in there somewhere !
Gotcha. Can I solder in a piece of wire back there to bridge that gap for the bulb to make contact with?
 

wtp

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,468
Reaction score
3,151
Location
Port Charlotte FL
it is too hard for me to see it.
but can you swap two bulbs to see if it is burned out ?
one guy said it is a bayonet base which means you push the bulb in and give it a twist.
google-To remove a bayonet bulb, turn off the power, then push the bulb slightly into the socket and turn it counter-clockwise (to the left) to release the pins from the socket's slots, and then pull it out. If the bulb is stuck, try applying a firm, steady upward pressure while twisting, and if it breaks, you can use pliers or a potato to remove the base.
the bulb is like a BNC antenna, two pins on the sides.
 

jjhendo

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2021
Messages
157
Reaction score
65
Location
Eagan, MN, US&A
it is too hard for me to see it.
but can you swap two bulbs to see if it is burned out ?
one guy said it is a bayonet base which means you push the bulb in and give it a twist.
google-To remove a bayonet bulb, turn off the power, then push the bulb slightly into the socket and turn it counter-clockwise (to the left) to release the pins from the socket's slots, and then pull it out. If the bulb is stuck, try applying a firm, steady upward pressure while twisting, and if it breaks, you can use pliers or a potato to remove the base.
the bulb is like a BNC antenna, two pins on the sides.
I have the bulbs, but I must have not twisted it and yanked one out, damaging that wire going across the back where they connect.. I'll try taking out this other bulb and see back there.
 

Attachments

  • wire.png
    wire.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

wtp

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,468
Reaction score
3,151
Location
Port Charlotte FL
there should not be a gap, that wire looks like the center contact for the bulb.
i hate to say try bending it, but that might do it.
or a piece of metal to jump it and turn it on.
have you tried to swap bulbs ?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top