Remove a state from sentinel program

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwelluppon

Was wondering if there is anyway to remove a state from the database in the sentinel program? Living in NJ and want to remove all of PA.

dwelluppon

So is that a "no"? It shows the check list on how to write to your scanner. I want to remove a state from the database.

RBMTS

Technically yes but that means you are deleting it out of the master database. It can also be difficult to find everything for the state. Plus the moment you update Sentinel master database, it all comes back. The only choices you have is to reduce down your receiving radius or create FL's for specifically what you want to listen to and not turn on the master database.

dwelluppon

Damn, that's what I thought. I reduced my radius to 0 and still got Pa. Didn't work. Thank you very much.

RBMTS

That is a no, you cannot edit the Sentinel database. You can edit a favorites list.

Wrong. You can delete listings in the master database. It is a pain but you can edit the MDB with a text editor. But it will just revert the next time you update.

dwelluppon

I was going to do that with my text editor and I thought the same thing. Every time you update it will come back. Maybe Ill play with it to see if it's worth the hassle.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It's a dice shot, but you could try using a different location (as in zip code) that is farther east of you. Whether this works depends on how much the PA stuff overlaps on to your state.

That said, Favorites Lists are your best choice. Favorites Lists are around for those users who are more specific on what they want to monitor.

ScubaJungle

You should really just create a favorites list. You cant "ID search" on the full database, and I guarantee you are missing a LOT with just ID scanning. Basically, ANYTHING thats not in the DB (TGs included) wont come up if you are not using ID search, and it would be impossible to have a current, and accurate TG list in the DB that covers ALL of them.

n5ims

Was wondering if there is anyway to remove a state from the database in the sentinel program? Living in NJ and want to remove all of PA.

There might be one way. Purchase RadioReference from Mr. Blanton and remove PA from the database so when Uniden creates their updates it won't be included. Probably not gonna happen, but still an option.

N4DJC

It's a dice shot, but you could try using a different location (as in zip code) that is farther east of you. Whether this works depends on how much the PA stuff overlaps on to your state.

That said, Favorites Lists are your best choice. Favorites Lists are around for those users who are more specific on what they want to monitor.

Unless I’m missing something, a favorites list seems like an easier fix to me. Just don't add the state of PA.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Unless I’m missing something, wouldn’t not adding the state to the favorites list solve the situation? Seems like an easier fix to me.

At the time the OP's original question was asked, he was not using favorites lists, just the master database... and wanted to know if an entire state could be deleted from that. In his post #12, he was going to give favorites lists a try for that reason... as advised in post #4, 5, and 11.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Living in St Louis, MO, I've also had issues with the master database putting tons of stuff into the scan rotation from the state of Illinois.
Reducing the range did not fix much of it. Maybe due to incorrect location data in the master database.

I'd figured out years ago which HPD file in the database folder was for the state of Illinois. I'd simply rename that file so it would not load.
It worked fantastic. I also did the same with another HPD file that had all the so called Nationwide info as it was adding a bunch of junk I did not want.

This was all before I started setting up favorites list. Today I only use favorites so it's no longer a problem.

This is a usable solution for those living near two or more states and want to only use the master database. It's fairly easy to look at the HPD files with a text editor and figure out which contain state data for states you may not want. Simply rename the extension from .HPD to something like .HP2.
If you update the database each week, the files will be recreated so you would need to rename them again plus the ones you renamed earlier may still be present and should be deleted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.