SDS100/SDS200: Retrieving favorites from scanner

DONNIE67

Hi

Just received an sds100 that was preprogrammed at the factory.

As such I do not have a favorites list in Sentinel as of yet.

How do I copy the scanner list to the sentinel software so that I can modify and upload it back to the scanner? I

Thank you for any assistance.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
How do I copy the scanner list to the sentinel software so that I can modify and upload it back to the scanner? I
Scanner list from where? Spreadsheet? Another scanner? If you're referring to the programming already on the SDS100 you'd have to put the scanner in mass storage mode (connect USB cable from scanner to computer, press "E" key on scanner when prompted to put in mass storage mode) Go to Sentinel and choose SCANNER > READ FROM SCANNER
Make your modifications then choose SCANNER > WRITE TO SCANNER to write the changes to the scanner

For your perusal:
Easier to Read SDS100/200 Digital Scanner Manual
Sentinel BCD436/536HP/SDS Software Manual

Welcome to the RR forums!

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Would I would do first is plug the scanner into your computer and put in in Mass Storage mode...
Then use File Explorer to copy the BCDx36HP folder to your computer from the SD card...
That way that whole setup stays intact for you and can be copied back to the SD card if needed...
Then with Sentinel you can read from the scanner to load it into Sentinel and have at it...

Last edited:

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
If it was "pre-programmed" it should already have favorite lists in it.
Who "pre-programmed" it?
Did you pay for this "pre-programming"?
Or.... are you referring to the RadioReference database that every SDS100/200 has in it?

Plug the cord into the radio and the computer.
When you get the prompt to press "." or "E" - press"E".
Open Sentinel.
Click scanner tab.
Click read from scanner.
Click on your radio and click OK.

DONNIE67

I didn't pay for reprogramming but when I turned the scanner on for the first time it began scanning locations near where I live.

I did not start the zip code find.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The Sentinel software works in both directions. You can either upload or download the program. In your case just upload your scanners program into Sentinel. The process is straight forward one you read up on the Sentibel software.

DONNIE67

That is what I did but it is only showing the full database without option to view the favorites that reside within the scanner.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
That is what I did but it is only showing the full database without option to view the favorites that reside within the scanner.
If you purchased the scanner brand new from a reputable dealer, there are no favorites list in your scanner, just the master database loaded in by the factory at the time of manufacture..... which is probably way out of date by now.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

Be sure you're using the latest version of the free Uniden Sentinel software (v2.05.03) from here (download link at top of page):

https://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/Unidenman4/BCDx36HPSentinel

Then update the master database and firmware by following directions on page 12 of the owner's manual. Then you can start making your custom favorites lists in Sentinel and upload them to the scanner.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
You must READ the programming FROM the scanner into the PC.

After connecting the scanner to your PC and putting the scanner into mass storage mode you then READ from the scanner.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Hi

Just received an sds100 that was preprogrammed at the factory.

As such I do not have a favorites list in Sentinel as of yet.

Thank you for any assistance.
The factory does NOT pre program the scanner. The dealer you bought it from may have if you paid them to.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
You can confirm whether there are any favorite lists programmed in your scanner.

On the scanner,
MENU -> Set Scan Selection -> Select Lists to Monitor

Do you see any Favorite Lists listed?

DONNIE67

I put together a favorites list and uploaded it to the scanner. They appeared on the display.

But the frequencies that were already on the scanner are still there.

Shouldnt my favorites upload override and delete whatever was active on the scanner before I opened the box.

I bought it new from bearcat warehouse.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Shouldnt my favorites upload override and delete whatever was active on the scanner before I opened the box.
No. You'll need to turn off full database scanning. From the easier to read manual I linked in Post #2:
Press menu key & navigate to:
Set Scan Selection
Select Lists to Monitor
Set Full Database to OFF and it will be excluded from your scanning
Read from your scanner so Sentinel is aware of the change, otherwise it'll revert back to how it was next time you write changes to the scanner

If you'd like to update the full database locally on your scanner this is done in Sentinel (won't affect favorites list programming)
Top Toolbar: Update > Update Master HPDB...
Write the changes to your scanner

Last edited:

RMason

Premium Subscriber
In the Select Lists to Monitor, is "Full Database" set to ON? Set this to OFF. Do the "preprogrammed' frequencies go away?

As others have said, if you did not pay for programming, the only programming in your scanner when new was the Full Database (HPDB).

DONNIE67

I set.full scan to off but it keeps coming back on.
After I turned it off got a message nothing to scan.

I then uploaded my newly.created favorites list and the issue repeats itself

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
After I turned it off got a message nothing to scan.

You probably have "monitor full database" turned on in Sentinel so every time you write from Sentinel to the scanner, it turns it on again. Turn it off in Sentinel and then "write" to the scanner, or turn it off in the scanner and then "read" from the scanner to Sentinel.

Check for Sentinel programming videos for your scanner on YouTube at the link below.... there are many videos that will walk you through the process of creating favorites lists, editing them, and uploading them to the scanner.

RMason

Premium Subscriber

It sounds like you have "Monitor Full Database" selected in your profile in Sentinel. If this is selected, the Full Database will be enabled each time you write to the scanner.

To turn this off:
In Sentinel,
Edit -> Edit Profile
In the Scan Selection tab, uncheck Monitor Full Database