RH-96 Control Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
6,704
Reaction score
1,721
Location
Central Texas
I put the update at the top so those who have read the first part won't have to search it out.

No call back by Noon, so I called again. I was on hold for 20 minutes listening to the lousy elevator music, messages of how important my call was to Uniden, and reminders not to hang up and redial. After 20 minutes I was disconnected. So, I called back and waited another 20 minutes. At which time I was connected to Customer Support... for Cordless Phones. Who transferred me to... hold. Another five minutes and someone picked up. I explained my problem and was told that there is no such thing as a RH-96. There is however a BC RH-96. Too subtle for me. Finally I was told to fax a copy of my receipt along with my full name "we can't ship to just initials, it has to be your full name", mailing address, phone number, email address, and shoe size and a new control cable will be sent out.

Okay, just kidding about the shoe size part, but the rest is absolutely true.

Unbelievably poor customer service.

==========================================================

I set up my Rh-96 and BCD396T today and the head would not find the scanner. I played with the connections, reset the head and still nothing worked. I then plugged the cable into my 996T and got the same thing. Seemed obvious that there was a problem with either the head or the control cable. A little more trouble shooting proved that it was the cable, not the head. Seems to be an intermittent open about six inches from the scanner end of the cable.

Then the fun began.

I called Uniden customer service and explained the problem to the person on the phone. All I wanted to know was if I could get a replacement cable without sending the wholeRH-96 back to Fort Worth. She had no idea what a RH-96 was. I explained it very carefully and then she wanted to know which scanner it was a part for. I explained the whole thing again and she didn't understand one word I said. She told me she would transfer me to the parts department.

The woman in parts, which turned out to be the on line store, told me that there was no Uniden part called the RH-96. I explained to her that it was a model number, not a part number but that I needed a part for it, she told me that there was no such part number as a RH-96. I told her to look at www.Uniden.com, but she told me that that is NOT the Uniden website! Then she told me that I had an attitude. I finally convinced her to ask someone else. After 10 minutes on hold she came back and told me that a service tech would call me back in "a few minutes". She took my number and repeated that "Jason" would call me back in a few minutes. That was at 10:00AM eastern time. It's now Noon and no call.

Somehow I think that my hair is going to grow back before I get a call from anyone at Uniden.

I'm going to try again and I'll let the group know what happens.

If you get a not connected message, check your cable before you do anything else.

Gary
 
Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
6,514
Reaction score
5
Location
West Michigan
Ouch! Sorry to hear about that one. Did you explain that it was the "BC-RH96" that works with the BR330T, BCD396T, BCT15, and BCD996T?

I'm sure UPMan, the product line manager for scanners at Uniden, will read your email here and follow up with it.
 

oritpro

Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Portland, OR
I am having pretty much the same luck getting a recently purchased FRS radio repaired/replaced.

You know, the $10 a pair refurb specials they are running right now--not worth it.

If I wasn't so happy with the quality of their scanners I'd go with another manufacturer for my scanning needs.

And I have a pretty firm policy on this--poor customer service = you lost my business forever.
 

garys

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
6,704
Reaction score
1,721
Location
Central Texas
DaveIN said:
Ouch! Sorry to hear about that one. Did you explain that it was the "BC-RH96" that works with the BR330T, BCD396T, BCT15, and BCD996T?

Like talking to a brick wall. Apparently they have no direct knowledge of anything. If it's not in the book or on the computer, they go into vapor lock like the robot on "Lost in Space". If you're old enough to remember that. "That does not compute, that does not computer. Danger Will Robinson!"

I'm sure UPMan, the product line manager for scanners at Uniden, will read your email here and follow up with it.

Well I hope that he checks up on Jason. He still hasn't called me and I'm worried about him. I hope he's OK. ;)

Gary
 
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
182
Reaction score
2
I sympatize with your woes. I strongly suspect your service call was probably answered at a Call Centre, maybe located in India or Pakistan but maybe not. This is where most call-centre are presently located for big-name multinational companies. The minimum-wage call-center employee has no way to know about any RH-96, he/she's been trained to look for proper model # such as "BC-RH96". RH-96 is not on his/her list. They get call from all over the world 24 hours a day about a multitude a model numbers. They HAVE to follow a script laid-out in front of them. They ARE NOT ALLOWED to deviate from the script. They are all being monitored for quality-control, that means that they get fired if they don't follow the script. This is what they get paid minimum wages for. And minimum wage is a lot less in India or Pakistan than in your country.

Since large companies have been relocating their call-centers overseas, quality has gone down the drain. A well-publicised example is the multinational computer giant Dell. Do a search on it and you will read horror stories of tech support.

You don't actually think that big companies answer their own phone call, do you?

I hope they send you your cable.

Good luck.

Anabella M.
 

garys

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
6,704
Reaction score
1,721
Location
Central Texas
floydpink999999 said:
I sympatize with your woes. I strongly suspect your service call was probably answered at a Call Centre, maybe located in India or Pakistan but maybe not.

Definitely not. I'd say that the calls were answered right in or near Fort Worth. Definitely American accents, not Indian.

Since large companies have been relocating their call-centers overseas, quality has gone down the drain. A well-publicised example is the multinational computer giant Dell. Do a search on it and you will read horror stories of tech support.

Actually, generally I've dealt with Americans or Canadians. Verizon and Comcast in particular use US based call centers. This would be the third worst call center experience I've ever had. First was ATT Broadband before they were bought by Comcast. Their call centers were in the US and Canada and their people were stupid, rude, and I'm convinced trained to lie. Second was Symantec. They didn't even publish a number where you could speak to a real person. Award winning customer support my ass. Took me two months to finally get a real person to help me with my problem.

In my job I do a lot of end user support, hardware set up, hardware and software trouble shooting, and deal with vendors. I know a lot of the dynamics involved, so I have a very high threshold before I complain, especially in a forum like this. This was just poor customer service.

Gary
 

mancow

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Feb 19, 2003
Messages
6,943
Reaction score
1,136
Location
N.E. Kansas
When I ordered the upgraded SBC DSL for my home I found that it remained at 1.2 MB. I went through a couple of hoops and somehow got the number for the guys sitting in the CO down the street.

I still remember the guy asking me how the hell I got that number. The funny thing was that he immediately saw that my profile was never set to the higher speed and he instantly pushed me up to the next speed level.

It's amazing what you can accomplish when you luck out and actually get the right person, usually the guy or gal that actually does the work.
 

garys

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
6,704
Reaction score
1,721
Location
Central Texas
mancow said:
When I ordered the upgraded SBC DSL for my home I found that it remained at 1.2 MB. I went through a couple of hoops and somehow got the number for the guys sitting in the CO down the street.

I still remember the guy asking me how the hell I got that number. The funny thing was that he immediately saw that my profile was never set to the higher speed and he instantly pushed me up to the next speed level.

It's amazing what you can accomplish when you luck out and actually get the right person, usually the guy or gal that actually does the work.

I used to have the number to the local CO. They must be trained to ask subscribers how the hell they got the number because that's exactly what the guy said to me. He also fixed my problem that day instead of the week that the phone company told me it would take.

Anyway, I don't have any secret numbers for Uniden, I wish I did.

Gary
 

oritpro

Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Portland, OR
Well, I am happy to announce that Uniden is addressing the issue with my FRS radios, they were just a little slow. Things might have been faster had I called them on the phone instead of using email but I prefer to have everything documented.

Hopefully the replacements work the way they are supposed to.
 

oritpro

Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Portland, OR
DaveIN said:
What was wrong with the FRS?

One of the radios would complain about dead batteries after 5-10 minutes of use and shut down. The batteries were definitely not dead at 1.25+ volts under load.

I took the batteries from the good radio, put them in the bad radio, and it still complained. Both sets of batteries worked fine in the good radio for 2-3 hours.

These are brand new NiMH Energizer 900 ma's.
 

oritpro

Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Portland, OR
oritpro said:
Well, I am happy to announce that Uniden is addressing the issue with my FRS radios, they were just a little slow. Things might have been faster had I called them on the phone instead of using email but I prefer to have everything documented.

Hopefully the replacements work the way they are supposed to.

Well, it's been over two weeks since I spoke to Uniden on the phone when they promised to mail a FedEx shipping label to return the defective FRS radios for replacement.

So far nothing...

My guess is that they are stalling for time in order to run down the 90-day warranty or they have no intention of honoring it.

In my experience, refurbs are usually a pretty good deal because the manufacturer will correct any known defects prior to reselling them. I guess Uniden is the exception.

Whatever the case, I will surely avoid Uniden products in the future and hope that my scanners don't develop any problems that I can't fix.

Very disappointed.
 

ChargerSRT8

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
Location
Metro St. Louis, MO
I had a new Uniden phone battery go bad on the first charge (bulging and swelling and went dead). I called support and they requested a fax of the receipt, and I had a replacement in a couple of days.
 

garys

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
6,704
Reaction score
1,721
Location
Central Texas
Well, it's been over two weeks since I faxed in all of the information and I haven't received the cable, an acknowledgment, or any other communication. I'll try the phone again on Monday. Maybe I'll luck onto someone who knows the product line and cares about customer service.

Gary
 

ChargerSRT8

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
Location
Metro St. Louis, MO
garys said:
Well, it's been over two weeks since I faxed in all of the information and I haven't received the cable, an acknowledgment, or any other communication. I'll try the phone again on Monday. Maybe I'll luck onto someone who knows the product line and cares about customer service.

Gary

I would try resending the fax in addition to a followup call, in case it fell through a crack. Sounds like it got lost.
 

garys

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
6,704
Reaction score
1,721
Location
Central Texas
ChargerSRT8 said:
I would try resending the fax in addition to a followup call, in case it fell through a crack. Sounds like it got lost.

I finally got to the follow up call today. It's on back order with an anticipated arrival date there on May 18. Once it's in, they will send it out to me. Just took a few minutes for the young lady on the phone to find the order.

Gary
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top