RH96 and 996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosgt

Finally got a 996P2. I had already set up an audio cable with a serial port plug attached (as per some old posts). It works through the serial port of a 996T, you need to use a null modem adapter.

So I was anxious to try this with the P2. As expected, it did not work.

HOWEVER, the control protocol is about identical. I KNOW this because, the old BCD996_USAD control program runs the P2 perfectly.

So come on Uniden, give us a simple firmware update to allow the RH96 to run with the P2. The wiring of a serial plug is easy, you can use the screw on terminal type that costs about $5 on Amazon and a standard audio cable.

Uniden could sell LOTS more P2 units at no expense to themselves, other than the simple firmware update, which I am certain would be easy for them to do.

And they could bring back the RH96, which could them compete with the Whistler since the P2 can do DMR and Phase 2.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
The RH96 was a great idea. For me, it has two "fatal flaws." 1) It requires a separate power source and 2) it does not control the power of the actual scanner.

scosgt

My car has a built in AC outlet with a switch on the dash, so half of that is covered.

milcom_chaser

Finally got a 996P2. I had already set up an audio cable with a serial port plug attached (as per some old posts). It works through the serial port of a 996T, you need to use a null modem adapter.

So I was anxious to try this with the P2. As expected, it did not work.

HOWEVER, the control protocol is about identical. I KNOW this because, the old BCD996_USAD control program runs the P2 perfectly.

So come on Uniden, give us a simple firmware update to allow the RH96 to run with the P2. The wiring of a serial plug is easy, you can use the screw on terminal type that costs about $5 on Amazon and a standard audio cable.

Uniden could sell LOTS more P2 units at no expense to themselves, other than the simple firmware update, which I am certain would be easy for them to do.

And they could bring back the RH96, which could them compete with the Whistler since the P2 can do DMR and Phase 2.

"the old BCD996_USAD control program runs the P2 perfectly. " It does until you attempt to scan a Phase II system. The xxxP2 radios needs a TDMA_SLOT variable within one of the Protocols. There are other protocols as well. Otherwise, it's an easy to read interface, and would be helpful to have a version of UASD for the P2 line of radios because of that (large, radio looking display in the software UI). Old school but very cool.

"The wiring of a serial plug is easy, you can use the screw on terminal type that costs about $5 on Amazon and a standard audio cable."
You would need a converter board to do the correct voltage translation - RS-232 can swing beyond 5 volts. USB Data is 5Volts.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

I doubt Uniden would ever consider producing more of those units as we knew them. Sales of the RH96 were very poor from the beginning, and some parts are no longer available.

Status
Not open for further replies.