Richmond Metro Control Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyllus100

While trying to program a new scanner, I ran across something I'm having a hard time understanding. I live in Chesterfield and the RR database lists separate primary control channel frequencies for Henrico, Chesterfield and Richmond. When I entered just the Chesterfield control channel (855.6625) and did an open search for TGs, I picked up Richmond and Henrico TGs as well as those from Chesterfield. If all of the counties have their TGs on each control channel, why are there separate channels listed for each county?

kc4jgc

In a nutshell, it's a multisite system using a single controller. The controller sends the data to all sites. In doing so it provides continuous overlapping coverage over the entire area.

Recently, I'v e discovered an apparent hole in coverage on the Richmond tower in the area of the Amtrak station on Staples Mill Rd. I can monitor Henrico no problem, but Richmond has been unsuccessful. Looks l'll have to add Richmond TG's to the Henrico site.

hyllus100

Thank you. That makes perfect sense. With that information, I added Richmond TG IDs to the group that I programmed my Chesterfield Control Channels and switched from search to scan. I expected to hear the Richmond TGs just a clearly as the Chesterfield ones. I was only able to receive Chesterfield. I'll keep experimenting.

1dougsk

Premium Subscriber
Follow-up question for Steve KC4JGC

Steve: A follow-up question from your post on Jan. 14. I'm just a little bit unclear on the Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield system. I live in Chesterfield. If I program my Uniden 436 to activate only the Chesterfield site, and have Richmond and Henrico sites "avoided," will I hear all traffic from all three jurisdictions on just the Chesterfield site?

Thanks,
Doug

kc4jgc

Steve: A follow-up question from your post on Jan. 14. I'm just a little bit unclear on the Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield system. I live in Chesterfield. If I program my Uniden 436 to activate only the Chesterfield site, and have Richmond and Henrico sites "avoided," will I hear all traffic from all three jurisdictions on just the Chesterfield site?

Thanks,
Doug

In a nutshell yes. If you only want to hear chesterfield traffic then add all 3 sites but ONLY chesterfield talk groups

That is correct, Doug.

1dougsk

Premium Subscriber
Reconrider8 and Steve: Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Doug

Happy scanning!

topcop1833

to add in a monkey wrench, there are some talkgroups from some "sites" that don't pass to the other "sites". VCU PD for example doesn't pass to Henrico or Chesterfield, same with Virginia Capitol Police for that matter

1dougsk

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, topcop1833. Yes, I have noticed in the past few days that the Richmond Fire talk groups are only coming up on the Richmond site, not Chesterfield or Henrico. However, the Richmond Police talk groups DO come up on all three sites. I guess individual talk groups can be designated as to which site(s) they come up on?

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.