Richmond PD marked unit stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what time this happened, but a marked PD unit (most likely car 501) was stolen from the area of Broad & Foushee, and the search is on. Three black males NOT in uniform.

Also heard BOL for a Secret Service car stolen from Silver Spring, MD with most toys inside including body armor.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Around 7:40 this evening I was getting on I-85 from Rt. 1 in Dinwiddie... They had the ramp blocked off and they were checking everyones license... Not sure if it is related or not... I am sure they were looking for someone too because my g/f's brother was in front of us and he only has his learners (stupid to be driving alone I know) but they just looked at his ID and told him to just go...

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. I could find no mention of this in either Wednesday or Thursday's paper. I don't think it was an exercise, because several agencies had BOL's and were discussing it on their various TG's.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

W4BOZ

Premium Subscriber
I've checked the TV news a little closer the past few days as well and haven't seen/heard anything as well.

If those streets are correct, that happened right in front of my house and I was home at that time. I can usually tell when there are units outside when it's dark out. I don't remember any police activity outside that night. Unfortunately, I didn't have my radio on either.

Doesn't RPD have GPS-based vehicle location stuff in their cars anyways?

Last edited:

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Traffic that I heard on Tuesday night indicated that plain units were headed to cruise the projects, and that some folks had a pretty good idea of where the car was. No mention of GPS over the air.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

jehm1212

Depending on whose car it was, it may not have been equipped with GPS. Many, if not all, of the patrolmen's cars do have the units that can be activated by the dispatcher, usually at a supervisor's request. However, not all supervisors cars have them. Also, if the car is not on, the GPS is not active, so if it was parked behind someone's hosue and turned off, it would be more difficult to find (this is where old-fashioned police work comes in handy).

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Depending on whose car it was, it may not have been equipped with GPS. Many, if not all, of the patrolmen's cars do have the units that can be activated by the dispatcher, usually at a supervisor's request. However, not all supervisors cars have them. Also, if the car is not on, the GPS is not active, so if it was parked behind someone's hosue and turned off, it would be more difficult to find (this is where old-fashioned police work comes in handy).

I think that the car # was 501, which I believe should be a high ranking traffic officer. However, I believe that some non-sworn personnel also use those cars.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Just curious, why would a non-sworn person use a marked police car?

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
RPD has a number of these. Neighborhood Assistance Officers will take reports on minor crimes in order to keep sworn personnel available for more pressing duties. There are a couple of folks who help direct traffic at times, and you'll also see parking enforcement people use them from time to time.

My theory is that it keeps their fleet more flexible by not creating cars which are insufficent for use in normal police activities. Take-home vehicles may accomplish similar purposes.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.