"Ride Along" in a Mono County Paramedic Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
On Wednesday, Sept 3rd I got to ride in a Mono County Paramedic Unit. This was my second ride in the last ten years. Unfortunately, this time, the ride was not up front, but in the back on a gurney. I had a slow speed fall off my road bicycle when I was turning around on a paved road and ran out of pavement. I had to cross a short section of dirt, which was almost all firm soil, except for a small patch of loose soil that my 110 psi front tire found. The bike came to a complete stop and the front tire scooped out the soft dirt and the bike went out from under me, and went horizontal in mid air. I landed hard on my left hip and fractured the neck of the upper femur, which is located just below the ball of the upper femur.

Mammoth is a great place to break a bone as we have a world class orthopedic practice, an outstanding hospital, and an excellent physical therapy center. I was in surgery six hours after the accident. Three long screws were put into the bone. Recovery is expected to take 12-14 weeks and I will be spending the majority of my time in a hospital bed on the lower floor of our condo.

Having been an EMT on a volunteer fire department ambulance many years ago and being first on scene of many medicals and accidents while working for the Forest Service all the steps taken by the paramedics were very familiar to me. When I was asked the first of the four questions regarding my mental orientation, I was able to say "I'm oriented times four: my name is Fred, it is Wednesday about 1430, I'm on the Sawmill Cutoff Road, and I was riding my bike at the time of my accident". I knew the questions that would follow and pretty much knew how the conversation with the MICN at the hospital would proceed. I had missed the tour of the new portion of our hospital so I hadn't seen the wonderful new emergency room facility or the new operating rooms. I got my tour but know more about the ceilings now, than I do the stuff on the floor. After listening to EMS traffic in Mono County for 27 years it was interesting to hear some radio traffic generated by my "incident."

One thing I did notice was the placement of what looked like rubber duckie antennas mounted upside down in the ceiling in key locations such as hallway intersections and at regular distances down long hallways. Does anyone have any idea what these antennas are used for? The length of these antennas is about 8-10". I wondered if they were a sort of passive repeater for handheld radios and would relay signals from a rooftop antenna down into the inner, and RF shielded portions of the building. The hospital is steel framed, with metal/fiberglass insulation, and has a metal roof so I could not bring up any 2 meter, 1.25 meter, or 70 cm repeaters in the five days I was in the hospital, so I know the construction/materials of the hospital make for a minimum of RF penetration in or out of the building.

Since my "shack" is upstairs and I won't be going up there for 2-3 weeks I have my PRO-96 and my Kenwood TH-F6A next to the bed. I also have a "new" (old) TV which I picked up from a friend who put in two new HD TV's in her house. It has a 25 inch screen and the picture is large enough to see from across the room where my hospital bed is set up. The audio is hooked up to my stereo so I can route the audio into my wireless headphones and don't disturb my wife when I wake up at odd times and want to watch TV. I had just hooked the TV up 2 days before the accident and feel fortunate to have done so now.

I'm going to spend some quality time with my scanner in search mode and try to find new frequencies being used around town. This will also give me the time to finish the 20 V Files I'm writing for my two GRE PSR-600's. I also hope to have many QSO's on the seven amateur repeaters I can reach from my bed confined location.

On the downside I am not able to attend the EMT class I was planning to take at our local community college. This is the first time it has been given at the Mammoth campus, usually is is given at the Bishop campus. It is about time I renew the EMT qualifications I received back in 1980! Of course it would not be a renewal, but there is a lot I remember from that class from way back when!

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well that sucks more than a "bad" chest wound. Hope you get better and be more careful in the future (although it's a very common way to hurt yourself in a split second).

Bonus points if you had a logging/recording program at home recording any radio transmissions to the ER :D

MCIAD

Damn Fred - gotta watch for those hidden patches of soft soil. Those will get you every time.

Side Note: My son, now 15, had quite a few seizures from about 2 through 9 or 10, due to Childhood Epilepsy. He had one of them at Brown's Owens River Campground where we were camping, and we drove him up to Mammoth Hospital. Since he had been in several ER's, we were getting a little critical of the RN's and MD's and what kind of care and attitude we received. Without a doubt, some of the best of either we got in Mammoth. The 2 RN's and Doc were just outstanding. I am sure you received care on par.

Take it easy, and good luck with the recovery.

hoser147

Wish you a speedy recovery, ExSmokie, Just a guess on the antennae you noticed, they have some in hospitals expecially around the Xray dept. I was always told by Maintaince that they were to help keep some of the radio waves down from the Xray machines. We just had a new ER put on our hosp here and i didnt notice what they put up there for antenna's, Ill have to look and see....Good Luck Hoser

gusbuster1217

Wish you fast recovery from your little mis-hap.

Regarding your antenna observation, I actually think it's part of the wi-fi that is used for the monitoring(EKG machines and such) or part of the hospital's wi-fi network for their intranet, not internet.

Mike_G_D

Bad accident! Get better soon!

Fred,

Wow! Bad accident! Of course, I imagine, it could have been worse. Glad you are recovering well so far and I hope you make a speedy recovery overall! I hope this doesn't impact your planned trip here in SD county to see your relatives in Fallbrook in October! I am almost all set to send you an update to my WIN500 files for this area.

Regarding the hospital antennas, they are used for the remote monitoring of the portable chest EKG devices that many patients use. They are typically located, frequency-wise, in and around unused TV channels in the VHF band above 174MHz. The devices are very low powered per FCC regulations and the multiple antennas allow the signal to be received throughout most of the hospital areas where heart patients or patients otherwise needing to have their heart monitored continuously would be likely to be. In most cases they are used for ambulatory patients that are allowed or encouraged to walk around the corridors on the floor their patient room is located. But, I recall, when my late father was in a hospital for a heart problem (one of many such "visits" late in his life, unfortunately) I remember noting that he had one of the remote devices rather than a wired-in version. It may have been because of a lack of working connections in his room or, more likely, they wanted to make sure he could be continuously monitored while getting up and using the bathroom and such.

Such devices have been in use for a long time - far longer than 802.11 wireless devices and such have been in existence. Though now, many hospitals may use some form of internal WiFi (check out Vocera at this site: http://www.vocera.com/index.aspx) I expect that the antennas for those devices are more hidden or more unobtrusive than the VHF or UHF upside down rubber duckies and whips that the remote EKG telemetry receivers use.

Anyway, I wish you well and will be hoping for a speedy recovery!!

-Mike

JoeyC

Just a guess on the antennae you noticed, they have some in hospitals expecially around the Xray dept. I was always told by Maintaince that they were to help keep some of the radio waves down from the Xray machines.

Oh brother. Never listen to what the Maintenance guy says, they are clueless. As someone mentioned further down in the thread, the antennae are for patient telemetry and/or mobile in-house telephones.

Get well ExSmokey!

hoser147

That makes alot more sense.

Oh brother. Never listen to what the Maintenance guy says, they are clueless. As someone mentioned further down in the thread, the antennae are for patient telemetry and/or mobile in-house telephones.

Get well ExSmokey!

That makes more sense,as they could monitor the patient wherever they are. The ones that they had in there at the time had 3 radials coming from the base about 8 or 9 inches long. at regular intervals as ExSmokie posted.

Don_Burke

Exsmokey said:
I had a slow speed fall off my road bicycle when I was turning around on a paved road and ran out of pavement.
It is my medical opinion that you shouldn't do that any more. :)

Let us know if you need anything to keep yourself occupied.

Last edited:

DonS

As mentioned previously, the antennae are most likely for patient data telemetry.

From 1991-1995, I worked for a company called "MDE" (Medical Data Electronics) in southern California. We built portable patient monitoring equipment, and networked them with UHF and 800 MHz radios. I was responsible for the network code in the 800 MHz system, from talking to the radio hardware up through delivering data to a PC at a nurse's station. Especially around radiology, we would put repeaters in the ceiling or on the wall. The antenna would be either an 800 MHz duck or a relatively directional "patch".

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Those antennas are for the hospital's 802.11 systems, both Meditech and telemetry. We use the same setup here.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks everyone for your kind words. Michael, I'm glad you received good care for your son at our hospital. Everyone in town supports the hospital and we are paying a bond for its modernization, much of which has now been built. Our community thrift store is run by the hospital axillary and has raised over a million dollars for the hospital in the 30 years it has been open. It is called the "Cast Off" and gets quite a bit of business from summer visitors, many of whom are full time RV travelers. The community support of the hospital really helps and its offered services, both in terms of types and quality have risen considerably since the health care district ended it relationship with Centinella Hospital in Inglewood about 15 years ago. Centinella actually pulled out and told the district that the hospital would fail in 1-2 years. A local physical therapist took over as CEO and the hospital has not only survived we now have services we used to travel to Reno or Carson City to obtain. The orthopedic group that moved in is truly world class as every physician on its staff have served as team physicians to both summer and winter Olympic teams.

Thanks to everyone who provided insight on the ceiling antennas. The telemetry explanation makes the most sense. I think the antennas must be about 5/8 wave for the 800 MHz signals as somewhere around 13" is the wavelength of a cell phone signal.

It's funny that I had noticed one of these antennas near the old emergency room some years back and didn't think to figure out what is was. Being wheeled around on a gurney 3 times into X-Ray and then down the hall to the operating room gave me quite a bit of time to observe what was on the ceiling and it that is when I noticed how many there were and where they were placed. Even with a fractured hip/femur I was still noticing radio equipment and thinking about how it was used.

I also like to see how people do their jobs and where they fit into the operation of the hospital. We are blessed with a large group of dedicated, caring people at our hospital that are supported by a caring community. I'm glad that we are proving Centinella Hospital wrong every day. Mammoth Hospital is the county's only hospital and it is not a burden on the county budget at all, which is not always the case in every small county. A small group of physicians from Mammoth Hospital also formed to run the medical clinic in Bridgeport, the county seat, and was about to close.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Sorry to hear that Fred, my best wishes for your recovery. Much of the time being careful has nothing to do with it - I consider myself to be an extremely careful rider but I made my first inevitable ER visit last year due to a mountain biking accident. Going down a fire road after a few days of rain, both my wheels found a slick patch of mud and standing water camouflaged under a layer of grass and I was thrown simultaneously forward and to the side and came to rest on my right knee (which thankfully didn't break anything but left a pretty big scar). In my case, being more or less careful wouldn't have changed the fact that conditions ahead were simply not what they appeared to be, which I found very similar to your account of your accident. Short of doing something absurd like stopping, getting off the bike and probing around for the soil composition with a long stick (which would have defeated the whole purpose of the ride :) ), I see no other preventative measure you could have taken and it sounds like it just happened purely by chance.

That was great to hear your description of your first interaction with the EMTs/Paramedics on scene ("A&O times four"). I bet that surprised them! :)

Kind Regards,

Inigo

SCPD

QRT
Sorry to hear that Fred, my best wishes for your recovery. Much of the time being careful has nothing to do with it - I consider myself to be an extremely careful rider but I made my first inevitable ER visit last year due to a mountain biking accident. Going down a fire road after a few days of rain, both my wheels found a slick patch of mud and standing water camouflaged under a layer of grass and I was thrown simultaneously forward and to the side and came to rest on my right knee (which thankfully didn't break anything but left a pretty big scar). In my case, being more or less careful wouldn't have changed the fact that conditions ahead were simply not what they appeared to be, which I found very similar to your account of your accident. Short of doing something absurd like stopping, getting off the bike and probing around for the soil composition with a long stick (which would have defeated the whole purpose of the ride :) ), I see no other preventative measure you could have taken and it sounds like it just happened purely by chance.

That was great to hear your description of your first interaction with the EMTs/Paramedics on scene ("A&O times four"). I bet that surprised them! :)

Kind Regards,

Inigo

Thanks for relating your story and understanding my situation. I did not mention that the soft soil was not evident on the surface. The soil looked firm with a bit of gravel cobble mixed in, thus leading me to believe that I would be all right as long as I did not attempt to turn the bike while on the dirt. The bike is a Giant OCR C1, which is a mid range bike in terms of cost but is very light weight with narrow, low volume, high pressure tires. The wheels are not meant for any dirt riding.

I have fallen on my mountain bike several times while on single track trail at the Mammoth Mountain bike park. Soft dirt was a factor in a couple of those incidents. The difference in my mountain bike falls is that you sit lower to the ground by a few inches and all of the falls have allowed me to tuck a shoulder and accomplish a rolling fall. This fall on my road bike happened so suddenly that I did not have the chance to put a foot or arm out to soften the fall. It was also perpendicular to the direction of travel so it did not give me the opportunity to roll into a softer landing.

Your accident sounds very similar to a couple of the falls I've made on my mountain bike. In my case the grassy areas were in the shade and hadn't dried like the other 99% of the trail. The situation was also complicated by the rain being a result of thundershowers that were scattered with some areas receiving very little rain and other nearby areas receiving more.

I'm a very safe rider and normally don't let the road bike open up and pick up a lot of speed on downhills unless I've riden up the hill and scoped it out for loose gravel, pine needles, and the like. When I make loop trips involving downhills on section of roads I have not riden on recently, I don't allow the bike to open up, especially in shady areas that make it difficult to see gravel or concentrations of pine needles on the pavement.

The alternative to having some mishaps is to not ride at all. For me the most enjoyable and productive form of exercise is road bike riding. Cross country skiing takes over in the winter and ifor me is the second most enjoyable form of exercise.

My reply that I was A & O did not surprise the paramedics. I've known one of them for nearly 20 years and have been the first on scene for a few incidents where he was one of the responding paramedics.

Thanks again for relating your experiences on a bicycle. People that don't ride a lot don't always understand that some accidents are just difficult to avoid.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Good to hear you're doing okay Fred!

What was that about the Bridgeport clinic? I know it seemed deserted when I lived there; Tineka was apparently running it single-handed.

SCPD

QRT
Good to hear you're doing okay Fred!

What was that about the Bridgeport clinic? I know it seemed deserted when I lived there; Tineka was apparently running it single-handed.

As you know it was a hospital at one time and losing money, causing it to be a financial liability to the county. Then it was shut down and was barely running as clinic. Sometime in the last 10 years a group of doctors in Mammoth took over the clinic and it is my understanding that it is now being run by them. They are in the clinic building north of the hospital building. The hospital building is not being maintained on the exterior and there are some county employees using it for office space. About 5 years ago or less, the county added a 4th paramedic unit (Medic 7) and it is stationed in Bridgeport. A building was built just east of the clinic to house it.

The call volume for Medic 1 in Walker was cut in half by the creation of Medic 7. It was already the lowest call volume for any of the Mono County paramedic units. On busy ski weekends Medic 7 is sent to Mammoth to help with the incredible call volume experienced there. Medic 2, from June Lake is usually the first medic unit sent down as the call volume begins to rise, then Medic 7. The Mammoth Fire Department's BLS rescue/ambulance unit, 3370, is staffed as is the hospital's BLS ambulance, SME 1. Even with these six units, there are days when the calls must be triaged, and some are left pending until a unit a freed up. The Mammoth Fire Department now staffs one engine full time with four paid fire fighters. This engine can be added into the mix for initial BLS care, but obviously not for transport. Those of us involved in emergency services call this six unit system running up to the mountain and back "the conveyor belt" plan. This is one reason that the hospital emergency room was greatly expanded. On 6 unit days I've been told the old emergency room resembled a war zone, with some people tagged and laying on the floor. There is now a seperate waiting room for the emergency room that is about twice as large as the old main hosptial waiting room.

There is planning and evaluation being done to add an ALS unit for the Benton, Hammil, Chalfant Valley area. Just like when you were here, Symons Ambulance out of Bishop, if available, responds to that area. Residents of the area are concerned with the response time experienced with the current arrangement.

Also on the medical front in the eastern Sierra is the passage of a bond to replace the hospital building in Bishop. Construction on the first phase is nearly complete. The existing building will be torn down in stages as new portions are completed. With Mammoth Hospital being rebuilt and flourishing with new services, Mono and Inyo Counties are defying the trend of rural health care facility decline. Much of it has to do with the presence of so many retirees and the distance to urban area health care providers. People are actually traveling to big cities for health care than they were when I moved to the county in 1981. The hospital/clinic in Lone Pine is barely surviving, however.

Last edited:

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
The hospital building is not being maintained on the exterior and there are some county employees using it for office space. About 5 years ago or less, the county added a 4th paramedic unit (Medic 7) and it is stationed in Bridgeport. A building was built just east of the clinic to house it.

Yes, 7 was there when I was, and isn't Animal Control still there, or right next door? I know someone in the Assessor's office in the Annex was talking about moving over there as well, not sure if it was idle gossip or not.

The hospital/clinic in Lone Pine is barely surviving, however.

Southern Inyo? That sucks to hear; my grandfather has been a good customer of theirs in years past (he lives up off Granite View Drive).

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Question Fred: who dispatches the medics and F.D. stuff, i.e. the Long Valley F.D., etc.?

Michael

The Mono County Sheriff's Department does all the dispatching for every local agency in Mono County. It is the sole PSAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.