RoIP Linking Multiple RX Sites Using A Voter

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8rdz

Blackhawks
Premium Subscriber
Trying to configure an amateur radio repeater system that links multiple RX sites using RoIP back to the TX site, with some sort of voting device/software that determines which RX site has the best received audio, then passes the selected audio to the TX thru the repeater controller (Hope that all made sense).

I've found 2 voting devices, but they are P25 commercial products and, most likely, exceed my budget for this project:

Daniels Electronics - Digital Voting

EFJohnson Technologies | IP25 Voter

From the sounds of it, I can use the IRLP to link the RX sites back to the TX site, but what would I use to vote the best audio thru to the TX? Is there a repeater controller, hardware or software, that has a voting system built in?

Any info/input/links would be greatly appreciated!

-Brooks/N8RDZ

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Trying to configure an amateur radio repeater system that links multiple RX sites using RoIP back to the TX site, with some sort of voting device/software that determines which RX site has the best received audio, then passes the selected audio to the TX thru the repeater controller (Hope that all made sense).

In the past, systems using equipment like the Motorola SpectraTac connected via wireline used a pilot tone on the wireline when no signal was present to indicate such. When a signal appeared, the pilot tone vanished, SpectraTac would know there was activity, measure that signal against the others and select the best one. So something like that could be worth a try with a modern voter, although you would have to build up a circuit to detect the loss of pilot tone.

However, I suspect what you may run into is that digital artifacts from the ROIP process might adversely affect signal-noise voting, which requires a really clean signal to be truly effective.

Have you checked the Repeater Builder website and their forums?

Squad10

Stay analog if you can. Link receivers and transmitters can be gotten cheap or free.

In case you're not aware of this device:

Voting Tone Encoder, Pilot Tone Generator: VTE-1

It is compatible with these types of voting systems:

Motorola Spectra-TAC
JPS Communications (Raytheon) SNV-12
GE Mastr II
RF Technologies Eclipse
Other systems using 1950 Hz, 2175 Hz, 1600 Hz or 2700 Hz as the voting tone.

n8rdz

Blackhawks
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the tips & info guys! I will check it out when I get a chance.

-Brooks / N8RDZ

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

box23

I second using Asterisk, app_rpt, and VOTER boards.

There was a message on the app_rpt list in August that a commercial version of the board had been designed and was going to be available.

I hadn't seen or heard anything since then, but just looked and see it has been posted on the micro-node website as coming soon.

n8rdz

Blackhawks
Premium Subscriber
IRLP is really designed for wide area repeater to repeater linking, not for voting.

If you want to go with RoIP voting the All Star Link looks promising: https://allstarlink.org/voter.html

WOW! KF8YK nailed it! This is exactly what i've been looking for! I've already sent an email to this folks to discuss my project. If its cost-effective, we may be in business!

Status
Not open for further replies.