Round Rock PD???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Encryption Switch

Don't forget, this is a policy issue. The encryption switch can be turned off. If you are registered to vote in Williamson County, make your voice heard Tuesday.

Elections

Reportedly, a group of citizens in Missouri complained so much about the over-the-top encryption of police radios that the agency in question turned the "E" switch off. Yes, things can change from voters. However, whether enough people are bothered by the encryption is another issue. I don't know how many concerned scanner listeners reside in Williamson county & whether there are enough to make a difference.

silverf0x

Premium Subscriber
W5TWX, I'm a new listener in the area (RR as well). I want to know what's going on in my community, I'd totally vote to drop the "E".

silverf0x

Premium Subscriber
I found this post on the "CenTexComm · Central Texas Comm Scanner Group
My Groups" yahoo group by trebor1159: Yahoo! Groups

It says: "Yes, most all of Williamson County transmissions are encrypted. Including Sheriff, EMS, City of Georgetown and Round Rock, and Leander and Cedar Park.

There are a few fire talkgroups that are not encrypted and Cedar Park and Round Rock have a few talkgroups that are not encrypted but all the dispatch ones are.

Don’t forget that there is some simplex stuff to monitor too: like 462.975 Williamson County EMS Dispatch and 856.2125 for Round Rock Fire Dispatch"

I also read in that group that Round Rock turned on encryption the first week of February in 2012, and Pflugerville followed a few months later.

Bummer.

Ensnared

Interesting Mug Shot

The last issue of the Austin Cut was September. The blog author's name is Brandon Roberts. I don't know if this is the same Brandon Roberts whose parole was revoked in October.

MugShot of Brandon Roberts | Austin, TX

It's a common name so who knows?

I don't recall how I learned of about this blog or person, but I do remember writing to him about why it is unwise to disclose sensitive information obtained from a police scanner in a blog. I explained that some LE officers complain of people using smart phones to either interfere with operations or break the law. I pointed out that that Round Rock used to be in the clear, for the most part.

When I reviewed his blog, I discovered that there have been no recent posts. So, I wrote him an email today. I will see what happens. I know that some offenders have been thwarted from internet access in TDCJ-ID if that is where he now resides.

Ensnared

Blogger Is Fine

I just received an email from the blogger in question. He stated that he recently rode alone with a LE unit and observed active MDT and cell phone usage. I think he is among us in the "free world."

silverf0x

Premium Subscriber
Ensnared, I apologize if I'm asking something that everyone knows, but I'm very new to digital scanning.

What is:
- LE
- MDT

Thanks.

silverf0x

Premium Subscriber
W5TWX - do you know what the process is for getting something like this (voting to get WilCo SO and PDs unencrypted) on a ballot? Just curious, but I'd love to make it happen.

Ensnared

Apology Not Necessary

W5TWX - do you know what the process is for getting something like this (voting to get WilCo SO and PDs unencrypted) on a ballot? Just curious, but I'd love to make it happen.

Please, understand, this forum is for new and old alike. You're fine with your comments. I've ask forum many questions. On occasion, you might get a sarcastic remark; however, the moderators are quick to respond to inappropriate behavior.

So, I encourage any posts or questions you may have.

In another Round Rock thread, another listener asked that the GATRRS system be upgraded for Round Rock since the current Radio Reference data base is inaccurate. At present, the mode column reflects "D" for most of their talk groups. From what I've understood, but cannot personally verify is all of Round Rock is locked up tight with encryption. One listener stated that someone, in the area, needs to initiate a formal submission to upgrade the Radio Reference data base.

The antisocial personality side of me says this, if I'm ever stopped and asked by the police, "what did you see", I'm going to counter with, "my mouth is encrypted for such."

Personally, I'm getting tired of law enforcement agencies encrypted routine traffic, particularly EMS and Fire. It is overkill. In some cases, it costs more.

Thanks for letting me sound off.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
In another Round Rock thread, another listener asked that the GATRRS system be upgraded for Round Rock since the current Radio Reference data base is inaccurate.

I think that was silverf0x in the other thread also.

W5TWX

It won't happen in R--Rock. I've lived here long enough to know how they operate. RRPD is locked down and will stay that way no matter how or what you say or think.. They worked too hard to get it that way. You picked the wrong city to live in if you want to listen to the police on a radio. I went through their Citizen Police Academy program and have ridden along with them and they insist on being private. They use cell phones too. Believe me when I say that they don't jack around. It is a hard nose tight lipped police dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.