RR Nextel users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thayne

I still do, but I am hearing Nextel is sucking wind and might be gone sooner rather than later. They are losing subscribers right & left; if it wasn't for tradesmen and Govt-LE types I think they would be gone now. It seems like all the younger generation just wants to Txt. I would use Verizon for PTT but the latency is terrible compared to Nextel.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
i still have mine an ic402 and companies still use them too and nextel is not going away.

R Collins

Scan-Denver

datainmotion said:
Who here uses NexTel if you don't mind saying?
I've got an i335 coming on Monday...
I have a i355 for work and have group connect (you can talk up to 20 people at a time) and direct connect and am a member of the Emergency Services Group. Send me an email from the link in my signature and I'll send you my D/C number if you're interested.

It would be nice if we could get a local group here in Colorado interested in Group Connect which for unlimited talk time only costs $10 more a month. Jim and some of the others tried getting local radio communications started using UHF radios and 3 repeaters to report on incidents taking place but from what I understand never really got off the ground.

Last edited:

RodStrong

ic502 at the moment. One of the Nextel/Sprint hybrids. Have had 5 or 6 different models over the past 7-8 years that I've had a Nextel.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
El Paso County got rid of it's NextHell's months ago, and just went to plain old cell phones.
Nextells hardly worked in many parts of the county...

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Thayne said:
I still do, but I am hearing Nextel is sucking wind and might be gone sooner rather than later.
It's a sprint thing. Poor customer service and billing disasters are the biggest reasons for high churn.

At any rate I'm still carrying an i530 on my person.

Phil.

Last edited:

KB9LMJ

scanlist said:
It's a sprint thing. Poor customer service and billing disasters are the biggest reasons for high churn.

At any rate I'm still carrying an i530 on my person.

Phil.

Interesting. I had Sprint many years ago and switched to Nextel. My coverage and dropped call rate skyrocketed! Once my Nextel contract was over, which couldn't have been quick enough, I switched back to Sprint (because I didn't need that cool beeping walkie talkie thing after all) and I've been happy every since. But, my needs also changed. I needed the direct connect for a side job, and now I don't. And now I have PDA on Sprint's data network that I stream the internet off of and that works great for mobile applications. Just depends on your needs I guess. But I did notice a huge drop in quality of signal w/ Nextel.

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
Your huge drop in calls and such were due to nextel is not a cell service, they are a radio service that piggybacks the phone side onto the system. Nextel was formed by motorola years ago by buying out all the smr 2 way radio services in the country and using their 800mhz freqs for the iden system. Nextel has never advertised to be as wide of coverage as cellphone systems, though there for several years they did attempt to build out they nextel system to be as wide of coverage as cells, they just never matched it. Now that sprint has taken over nextel, the nextel side of things isn't important and sprint sucks anyhow in customer service, so all of those things added up will soon leave nascar without their sponser... :)

I use nextel in work all the time each day. I also carry my verizon cell phone. Since I don't really use the cell phone part of my nextel I can't really tell you how it works, but normally, my direct connect is useable anywhere that my verizon works...

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
It's interesting though - I mean this new "Nextel only" i335 http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones?phoneSKU=I335 it's the first "new" (2007) iDen only phone brought out in quite awhile. Makes one wonder...

And yes, Sprint's Colorado coverage pales in comparison to say Verizon (don't bother arguing - we assisted CSP to do extensive testing to prove this).

In addition, Quest is pulling out of their "site-share" agreement with Sprint and going with Verizon as they are supposedly dis-satisfied with the partnership thus far with Sprint.

Considering the Public Safety customer base Nextel has (not to mention any of the others) plus the recent lay-offs and store closings, I'd say it's Sprint who is sucking wind. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nextel assets are sold off again just to keep Sprint afloat.

Last edited:

CVPI4Ever

I have Nextel and I love it compared to Verizon and AllTel which I have had in the past. I have an i580 and it sucks. Stay away from this phone.

RodStrong

datainmotion said:
And yes, Sprint's Colorado coverage pales in comparison to say Verizon (don't bother arguing - we assisted CSP to do extensive testing to prove this).

No doubt about that. As soon as we went from our full blown Nextel to the Nextel/Sprint mix, our cell coverage area in Mesa County decreased dramatically. The "metro" area is fine, but Sprint coverage in the rural areas is horrible to non existent. Toss in the Verizon analogs getting cut off, and we were hurting bad for cell coverage in rural areas. We have new Verizon digitals as well as the Nextel/Sprints, but I sure do miss the Verizon analog coverage. Nothing could beat it.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Amazing how "regional" cell phone service is. Back in NJ where my family lives, AT&T/Cingular and T-Mobile generally have better coverage than Verizon. It seems to be the opposite in Colorado, especially outside of the Front Range and Metro areas.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Super. What would that be then? A company with horrid customer service and coverage that caters primarily to girls in the 15-22 yo range?

Status
Not open for further replies.