rs pro 97 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979lee

Hi all , today i sent in my 97 for service because the antenna connector solder was lose causeing poor reception, is this a common problem for the 97?:confused:

mcema699

Antenna Connection

It can happen on most anything with that type connection from the board to the antenna.
It hasn't been anymore of a problem with the 97 than on any other scanner that I know your milage may vary).

I have an old Wilson UHF mobile and a commercial Icom handheld that I have resoldered the antenna connections from the board to the connector, very early in their lives and have been good ever since.

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
i've found another common problem on all scanners to be, the scanners bnc connector will spread open due to the design causing center pin of antenna to have a very loose fit. this makes a lot of scanners appear to loose a lot of sensitivity all at once. i usually just take a pointed tool and gently, pry each half of center pin female connector on scanner inward slightly and the recieve is back again. i make it a habbit any more when i insert a bnc type connector, to feel for center pin tension.

1979lee

crippledchicken said:
i've found another common problem on all scanners to be, the scanners bnc connector will spread open due to the design causing center pin of antenna to have a very loose fit. this makes a lot of scanners appear to loose a lot of sensitivity all at once. i usually just take a pointed tool and gently, pry each half of center pin female connector on scanner inward slightly and the recieve is back again. i make it a habbit any more when i insert a bnc type connector, to feel for center pin tension.

yeah ive had the same troubles over the years with the same connectors

davidd2957

Could this problem be caused by people who inadvertently, and without much thought,
pick up the handheld scanners by the antenna a few too many times?
David D.

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
sure enough lol! i have seen people pick them up that way. i also at one time had an extra handheld antenna which, for some reason the center pin was bent,bigger, or distorted in some manner because every time i plugged it into a scanner, no other antenna would pick up worth a crap in that scanner after using that antenna lol! and i would have to bend the contacts back again for a tight fit. needless to say, that antenna got a quick toss into the woods hehe!.

1979lee

davidd2957 said:
Could this problem be caused by people who inadvertently, and without much thought,
pick up the handheld scanners by the antenna a few too many times?
David D.

:roll: :evil: Ha ha funny
I claim the right of bullshot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.