• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

RSS Computer Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryX

I'm about to start the process of buying RSS from Motorola to re-program some HT-1000 and Sabers and I noticed that this software runs under DOS on old, slow computers. Does anyone know if RSS will run under DOS running in a VM (VirtualBox or VMware) on a modern Windows 10 machine?

Mr_Boh

Those including DOSBox have worked. The worst I have heard of is you need to explicitly slow down the clock speed on the DOS instance to improve reliability... can't remember for which specific models, I just remember that being a thing with virtualizing/emulating DOS-based RSS

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I dont believe motorola sells that anymore. Its way past its end of life for hardware support and software support.
As far as computer goes, you need an older slower processor as well.

a417

It will run in DOSBox but you will likely brick the radio writing to it.

You need old hardware to read/write reliably.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm running an old Windows XP laptop. I downloaded a program called "RUFUS" onto a thumb drive. RUFUS is DOS that will run on the USB drive. I just boot up the machine off the USB stick. The RSS software resides on the same thumb drive. Has worked just fine for HT-1000's, JT-1000's, GM-300's, etc.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I'm running an old Windows XP laptop. I downloaded a program called "RUFUS" onto a thumb drive. RUFUS is DOS that will run on the USB drive. I just boot up the machine off the USB stick. The RSS software resides on the same thumb drive. Has worked just fine for HT-1000's, JT-1000's, GM-300's, etc.

Ditto. I've programmed older Motorola and GE radios using Rufus on a thumb drive booted on my Toughbook CF53. Works like a champ, even on Maxtrac/Radius, MSF5000, etc. In fact, I copied nearly the entire hard drive from my old 486 laptop (the display died) to the Rufus stick, and now the Rufus stick acts just like my 486 laptop, including the GUI menu program that opens on boot.

Easy peasy.

JerryX

I dont believe motorola sells that anymore. Its way past its end of life for hardware support and software support.
As far as computer goes, you need an older slower processor as well.

What are my options if Motorola doesn't sell it anymore? (Note: I'm not interested in an illegal copy of the software--I want to keep this entirely above board). Are two-way radio shops likely to still have this software and would they be willing to program several radios for me? I just need the radios set up for a few 2M repeater pairs and a few simplex frequencies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
What are my options if Motorola doesn't sell it anymore? (Note: I'm not interested in an illegal copy of the software--I want to keep this entirely above board). Are two-way radio shops likely to still have this software and would they be willing to program several radios for me? I just need the radios set up for a few 2M repeater pairs and a few simplex frequencies.

Highly unlikely Motorola sells it any more; last time I checked my MOL account a few weeks ago there wasn't anything listed as available older than Astro25. Your only option would be to find a shop that still has it and can do the programming.

Nasby

Maybe try posting a want ad in the Classifieds section.
I've seen lots of folks offering programming services in the past.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Honestly those programs are old enough that a simple google search would find download links and I highly doubt motorola would expend any effort in locating you. They have been NLA for a number of years now. I use a toughbook with win 7 32 bit to run all windows stuff and a 2gb USB flash drive with ms dos install on that to run the older RSS stuff. Works like a charm.

N4KVE

Several years ago I sold a XP laptop to a friend who wanted to program MTS2000’s. The laptop had never programmed radios before. He literally went online, & found the CPS in under a minute. It had been NLA for years. RSS would be even older.

Status
Not open for further replies.