Saber programming needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
Looking for someone from CT that wouldn't mind making a few dollars that could program a UHF Saber for me.
Preferably someone that I can meet and can do it in person. I liked programming the HT 1000 and learned a lot. Would like to watch and learn for the saber.
All would be receive only for some monitoring. I have been licensed for GMRS and those would be tx/rx.
I have the RSS, cable and RIB but my DOS computer that I used for HT1000 is to fast and I am getting an error when attempting to read it.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
I know.
I have the correct software for the saber but my computer is too fast. That's why I am getting errors.
I also have correct HT1000 software. So I can see why that would be confusing.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I know.
I have the correct software for the saber but my computer is too fast. That's why I am getting errors.
I also have correct HT1000 software. So I can see why that would be confusing.

There is an older program floating around called Fifo.exe that will slow down a dos computer that allows for programming that requires slower computers. it gets loaded in autoexec.bat. See what Google returns.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
N1GTL
Thank you very much. Will look into that.
I found a "hack" for my computer to shut off external cache and can make adjustments to the speed. But on that one screen in the setup there was no fields to make the adjustments. They were grayed out.
So this new file would be a huge help. Will have to wait till next week to try it as I am away for the weekend.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Go to repeater Builder and download cacheoff.com and cacheon.com. It'll allow something like a P3 to work on the some of the more picky CPS.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
I have been on there before and somehow I missed those. Will look at that too.
Thanks MCore25

cmdrwill

Wrong software, the correct version runs IN DOS only and does not need all the above mentioned extra things.

Saber RVN-4002K Nov-93 Yes Pentium compatible.

Serial cable, Saber RSS does not do USB.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
cmdrwill
I would have to check my software (next week) but the info you posted, that particular package would be able to run on a pentium computer? I believe my RSS was the latest version released. Again. Would have to check next week.
I have a pentium laptop that I boot to TRUE DOS, and has a true serial port, that I have been trying. But I get an error when I try and read the saber. When I looked it up, everything said it was due to computer speed. I must have deleted the pic of the error I get, so I don't have exact wording of it right now.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
cmdrwill
I would have to check my software (next week) but the info you posted, that particular package would be able to run on a pentium computer? I believe my RSS was the latest version released. Again. Would have to check next week.
I have a pentium laptop that I boot to TRUE DOS, and has a true serial port, that I have been trying. But I get an error when I try and read the saber. When I looked it up, everything said it was due to computer speed. I must have deleted the pic of the error I get, so I don't have exact wording of it right now.

The Saber S/W needs to run on a very slow PC. 286 is ideal. 386 or faster and you run the risk of bricking your radio. Too fast of a processor and you WILL brick that radio.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
The Saber S/W needs to run on a very slow PC. 286 is ideal. 386 or faster and you run the risk of bricking your radio. Too fast of a processor and you WILL brick that radio.

That was my assumption.
I wanted clarification from cmdrwill from his last post.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I have a dedicated WIN95 machine for just DOS based RSS it is a P1 I believe there is a F key that you can check your Com port settings and make sure it is using the right one

RFI-EMI-GUY

Also beware the Saber and Astro Saber cables are different models and have two pins transposed. You can make an adaptor to reverse those and use either for the other. You normally should use the correct adaptor for those radios.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for that info on the cable. I checked the pinout for the saber and mine is the correct one.
I absolutely know the error is because my computer is to fast. Next week when I am home I will try the 2 methods that were described earlier.
The radio is useless to me as is and,unfortunately, I am in it more than it's worth right now (spur of the moment purchase). And I had NOTHING (software, hardware, or accy's) for it. I have been slowly acquiring necessary equipment. There will be no return in my investment at this point.
That being said, if I brick it, than I learned from my mistakes. And if I do get it programmed than that will be another lesson learned, for the positive.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Thank you for that info on the cable. I checked the pinout for the saber and mine is the correct one.
I absolutely know the error is because my computer is to fast. Next week when I am home I will try the 2 methods that were described earlier.
The radio is useless to me as is and,unfortunately, I am in it more than it's worth right now (spur of the moment purchase). And I had NOTHING (software, hardware, or accy's) for it. I have been slowly acquiring necessary equipment. There will be no return in my investment at this point.
That being said, if I brick it, than I learned from my mistakes. And if I do get it programmed than that will be another lesson learned, for the positive.

Another problem that can appear as a communications error is if the files for the program are archived (write protected) I have had Windows set the archive bit and then the program will seem to run, when copied to a DOS PC, but at the time the radio is being read, the file for storing data cannot be opened.. This was with Systems Saber software but same may be true for analog saber RSS.

The Saber radio in my opinion is the best radio design, electrically and mechanically and best form factor Motorola ever made. I have a small collection of Systems Sabers and yes these all can be had cheaply.

One thing to watch for, primarily with UHF, is that many System Sabers radios were destined for US Govt use so they are in the 403-433 MHz band which is sort of useless for ham radio or GMRS, though they can operate in the lower part of the ham bad to about 434 MHz. Thankfully the radios are modular so you can transplant the correct modules from an analog 440-470 MHz radio into a Systems Saber that shipped as 403-433 MHz.

I use them for GMRS as they are Part 95a type certified.

You can't kill these radios, fortunately the antennas, batteries and knobs can be had from Chinese vendors. I have rebuilt two batteries with 2200 mAh cylindrical Lithium Ion cells (2 x 4.2V) and they work well. I haven't bought any of the Chinese batteries but probably will try them out.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
Thankfully the one I grabbed was not the US Govt split. I just don't know if it's the 440-470 or the 450-520 split as all the frequencies that came programmed in it are 45x.xxx
It's a model 2 system capable Saber. Don't know if it's 48 or the 120 channel.
From what I have read it's a solid radio. Plus since I was a kid, I have always wanted one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

Thankfully the one I grabbed was not the US Govt split. I just don't know if it's the 440-470 or the 450-520 split as all the frequencies that came programmed in it are 45x.xxx
It's a model 2 system capable Saber. Don't know if it's 48 or the 120 channel.
From what I have read it's a solid radio. Plus since I was a kid, I have always wanted one.

Sounds like the 440 to 470 MHZ split.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
It very well could be. The seller was listing it for use with GMRS but we all know how true that can be.

RFI-EMI-GUY

99% of e-bay sellers have no clue as to the correct band-split of a saber radio. Most will state something excessive or incorrect. Many Motorola (and other) radios are built in two, three and sometimes four band splits. Motorola model numbers until recently gave no clues as to correct band split. You have to find a knowledgeable seller or take chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.