SAFE-T Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
Question for you guys...

I have UniTrunker running with a single SDR Dongle monitoring the Pendleton Site & see a ton of activity (Sheriff, Fire, etc). I even see Muncie activity.
I have my SDS100 watching the Pendleton Site as well & really only see/hear Corrections, DNR and ISP Pendleton.

Am I correct that just because a Site sees traffic it's not going to broadcast it from that tower unless a unit monitoring that Talkgroup is affiliated with that tower?

Hopefully that makes and explains that just because UniTrunker is showing the TG active I'm not hearing it for a reason... IF that's not the case I have a lot of questions... :)

Thanks!

usswood

Not in all cases...Counties are setup to broadcast at least the next tower away from their primary tower... Your seeing activity that you are not hearing because you probably don't have those talk-groups setup in YOUR radio...

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
I'm doing an ID Search with the SDS100 so it should receive all Talk Groups even if they're not programmed in the in the scanner. I have the SDR (UniTrunker) tuned to the same control channel frequency & have solid reception on both receivers.

Service types are all on too (that got me when first starting (as did range/location). That's what's throwing me off.

I can see the TG's I'm hearing on the SDS on UniTrunker but there are a bunch on UniTrunker that are not being received on the SDS100.

dfoutch

Premium Subscriber
The TGs your not hearing, should you be hearing them. Maybe the rid's are being denied, you may see them but not hear them.

n8yid

Premium Subscriber
Are they ENCrypted, by chance? They would show up on UT as a "P4", under the SERVICE column...

Let me clarify a bit more...
If you are monitoring the same Control Channel with both UniTrunker and your SDS100; which I take it you are....

TGs NOT ENCrypted - you should hear activity on your SDS100 and see the TG/RID on your UniTrunker set-up (with a "4" in the SERVICE column)....

TGs ARE ENCrypted - you "may" catch a flash of the TG on the SDS100 screen, but then it will go away, with no audio passed. UniTrunker will show the same TG on its screen for the full extents of "whoever" is having a conversation. If this TG is ENCrypted; there will be a "P4" in the SERVICE column on UT's screen....

Hope this helps ya',

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
Yes! I think that’s what it was. I’ll check when I get home. I remember seeing a 4 in that column. If P4 means encrypted that’s probably it. I’ll cross reference the TG’s with the RR list too.

Appreciate all the feedback!

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
I was really hoping that's all it was... But as you can see they are service 4. Dist 51 Disp comes through loud and clear on the SDS100, but none of these other TG's do.

I'm going to create a new SATE-T Favorite list with no edits & see what happens when I hold on that site.. The only Edits I have is disabling sites in the FL so I can pick a particular site. So the Dist 51 FL has all sites avoided except Pendleton & Dist 52 FL has all sites avoided except the ISP Post in Indy.

Glad it's Friday night, I'm going to be up for a while :)

west-pac

That's why I don't have a BCD436/536 or SDS100/200...I don't want my scanner working against me. The BCD996P2 doesn't have service types, FL, and distance to worry about. It's a no-frills P25 Phase 2 scanner that only needs a control channel frequency, and be in ID Search mode, to hear everything coming across a particular tower. Like the 436/536/SDS100/200, the 996P2 doesn't pass encrypted audio (noise), but luckily my older Radio Shack scanners do. When I hear encrypted TGs on the RS scanners, I can fire up UT, get the TG # and RIDs, cross reference the RRDB, and see who it is, or try to figure out who it is.

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
Figured it out. I had my range set to 0 and my GPS location set to my home. It was filtering out sites outside of my range. That’s why I was only hearing some transmissions and not others on that system

Took the setup on the road and was in the next county over. I could see all the traffic on UniTrunker but nothing on the SDS100.

Decided to do a Zipcode scan and boom, it all started coming in.

Thanks is for helping me think this through & have an AhHa moment

Status
Not open for further replies.