San Diego City 700MHz System

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
Found this. This is part of the SDFD Drill Manual. Thought some people would like to see this document to hold onto.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin

Alpha tags and descriptions for San Diego Fire/EMS section has been updated per the table above:

Note that the following talkgroups are out of date and should have been SDMA10, SDMA20 and SDMA30 instead:

52720fDTAC 7NTac 7N

39718dDRIC 8NRapid Intervention Crew 8N

5071fbDTAC 9NTac 9N

Anybody know if those talkgroups were repurposed for something else? If not I will just delete them.

brendan3

Did city fire reidentify the command and tac channels so that structure and veg fires would just be considered fire cmd and tac? Then secondary, and so on?

My north zone fleetmap shows SND8DIR2 instead of the "N" channels for 2024. Perhaps a new mutual aid interop channel? Would be great if someone from city can confirm. Once its been loaded into the radios I can pull it from my scanner.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Yeah they did a while back - they have dedicated medical (7E/7F), traffic accident (7H/7-I) channels and then the remaining fire incidents are broken into the two geographic zones “North of I-8” and “South of I-8” and then the command/tac channels pairs are assigned by Metro on a first come first serve basis. That’s why you get the primary, secondary and tertiary pairs.

I suspect they did away with structure vs. vegetation on the trunking system because large veg fires are supposed to go VHF on the XSD command and tac channels. But in my experience they tend to get dispatched out on the regular incident talkgroups with the addition of XSD Command 4 (formerly SND CMD) and XSD A/G.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I suspect they did away with structure vs. vegetation on the trunking system because large veg fires are supposed to go VHF on the XSD command and tac channels. But in my experience they tend to get dispatched out on the regular incident talkgroups with the addition of XSD Command 4 (formerly SND CMD) and XSD A/G.

Of course a day after writing this, I heard two vegetation initial attacks dispatched by SDFR on 8G/8H and 9G/9H which were in the south of I-8 and north of I-8 zones respectively. It's possible they use the "secondary" command/tac pair for vegetation initial attack, leaving the primary open for structure fires. The other option is both 8A/8B and 9A/9B were in use at the time, but I didn't notice any traffic on either.

Note that the following talkgroups are out of date and should have been SDMA10, SDMA20 and SDMA30 instead:

52720fDTAC 7NTac 7N

39718dDRIC 8NRapid Intervention Crew 8N

5071fbDTAC 9NTac 9N

Just to follow up, I have seen no evidence of these 7N, 8N, 9N talkgroups being used, so I've deleted them from the 700 MHz system.

disp10

Premium Subscriber
That page from the drill manual has incorrect information and is outdated. It is from 2016 as referenced at the bottom (bulletin 16-122).

RIC channels are extremely outdated.

I would not make changes to the database based on anything you see on that document.

Last edited:

disp10

Premium Subscriber
Of course a day after writing this, I heard two vegetation initial attacks dispatched by SDFR on 8G/8H and 9G/9H which were in the south of I-8 and north of I-8 zones respectively. It's possible they use the "secondary" command/tac pair for vegetation initial attack, leaving the primary open for structure fires. The other option is both 8A/8B and 9A/9B were in use at the time, but I didn't notice any traffic on either.

Just to follow up, I have seen no evidence of these 7N, 8N, 9N talkgroups being used, so I've deleted them from the 700 MHz system.
You are correct. The "N" talkgroups are no longer in use. SDFD radios no longer carry these talkgroups. That does not mean that some of the other agencies that have not reprogrammed to a newer fleetmap don't still have them. But they are not used, assigned, and don't exist on SDFD radio consoles.

Vegetation Fires - 8G/8H North of the 8, 9G/9H South of the 8. If one is in use already CAD or the Dispatcher should select the other. Ex. second veg fire south of the 8 should be assigned 9G/9H.

All other multi-unit responses - North of 8, in order, 9A/9B, 9D/9E, 9J/9K. South of 8 in order - 8A/8B, 8D/8E, 8J/8K.

None of this is in stone. If command/tac pairs start running out south of the 8 CAD or a Dispatcher will start assigning pairs from the other pool. This includes assigning the vegetation fire channels to non-vegetation fires if needed.

brendan3

Vegetation Fires - 8G/8H North of the 8, 9G/9H South of the 8. If one is in use already CAD or the Dispatcher should select the other. Ex. second veg fire south of the 8 should be assigned 9G/9H.

All other multi-unit responses - North of 8, in order, 9A/9B, 9D/9E, 9J/9K. South of 8 in order - 8A/8B, 8D/8E, 8J/8K.

None of this is in stone. If command/tac pairs start running out south of the 8 CAD or a Dispatcher will start assigning pairs from the other pool. This includes assigning the vegetation fire channels to non-vegetation fires if needed.

This is how I thought it was but the descriptions were recently changed in the DB? I'd reccomend bringing back a note of this to the descriptions.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I would not make changes to the database based on anything you see on that document.

This is how I thought it was but the descriptions were recently changed in the DB? I'd reccomend bringing back a note of this to the descriptions.

Sorry guys, my mistake - I fell for it. I restored / updated the descriptions to what @disp10 says above as well as my own monitoring.

Which is:

7E/7F - Medical Command/Tac citywide
7G - Spare tac? I believe was used as a secondary medical aid tac but haven't heard in a long time.

7H/7I - Traffic accident command/tac citywide

7J/7K - Non 1st alarm response command/tac citywide (I most commonly hear this for single engine responses to ringing alarms)

7L - Spare tac? db says commonly used for stadium events but that may have been pre FD EVT talkgroups.
7M - Spare tac?

8A/8B - South of I-8 Primary Incident command/tac
8C - Spare tac? 2nd fireground tac for 8A/8B if required?
8D/8E - South of I-8 Secondary Incident command/tac
8F - Spare tac? 2nd fireground tac for 8D/8E?
8G/8H - South of I-8 Vegetation Fire command/tac
8-I - Spare tac? 2nd fireground tac for 8G/8H?
8J/8K - South of I-8 Tertiary Incident command/tac

8L - Spare tac? No longer RIC?
8M - Spare tac? No longer south air to ground?

9A/9B - North of I-8 Primary Incident command/tac
9C - Spare tac? 2nd fireground tac for 9A/9B if required?
9D/9E - North of I-8 Secondary Incident command/tac
9F - Spare tac? 2nd fireground tac for 9D/9E?
9G/9H - North of I-8 Vegetation Fire command/tac
9-I - Spare tac? 2nd fireground tac for 9G/9H?
9J/9K - North of I-8 Tertiary Incident command/tac

9L - Spare tac? No longer RIC?
9M - Spare tac? No longer south air to ground?

Could use some help on 7/8/9 L and M.

Last edited:

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
New talkgroup discovery tonight for the new years eve celebration in the Gaslamp:

TG 581 - Metro dispatching MOD units to medical aids.

SDFR "Mobile Operations Detail" are basically paramedics on e-bikes, electric scooters etc. Similar to SDPD's bike team downtown. Anybody catch the channel name for this talkgroup?

Edit: Additionally it looks like this new talkgroup is patched with TG 1581 FD EVT 1.

Last edited:

brendan3

You are correct. The "N" talkgroups are no longer in use. SDFD radios no longer carry these talkgroups. That does not mean that some of the other agencies that have not reprogrammed to a newer fleetmap don't still have them. But they are not used, assigned, and don't exist on SDFD radio consoles.
If the N talkgroups are possibly deprecated can anyone confirm or deny this? I know they are not in my fleetmap for the North Zone.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber

The last time I heard the M/A talkgroups used was about 3-4 years ago when the SDFD copter was talking with SDPD units on the ground coordinating possible evacuations/threats during an overnight hillside brush fire...other than that, have never ever heard them utilized.

And duiring the recent flooding, 8G seems to be the go-to first assigned "water rescue" command regardless of north or south of the I-8.

Paul

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I think SDMA 10, 20 and 30 still exist but I think they’ve just fallen out of favor as mutual aid hailing channels. Since the fleetmaps have all been updated to have both LE and fire talkgroups accessible, and a mix of the 700 MHz city system and next gen RCS (with RCS having an abundance of mutual aid/hailing talkgroups available) I just don’t think they’re being used as much in practice.

chainsawman

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the transition to the new 700mhz system is complete? Or are some talk groups still on the old 800mhz system?

celbaseman

Feed Provider
Is there any way to let someone know? During the Caminito Rimini incident, radio ID 32240 kept getting stuck with no audio on tying up Channel 9B.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I have had 9B locked out of my scanlists for over a week, is it still having the issue?

Paul

celbaseman

Feed Provider
I have had 9B locked out of my scanlists for over a week, is it still having the issue?

Paul
I have not noticed any issues lately. I did notice that the problem radio ID did follow where there was major incident's tac channel, so I do believe I had heard it on 8B as well that same day.