San Diego County encryption

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber

I was "enlisted" sometime around 1998, to conduct a secret mission to hand deliver an Astro Saber 800 P25 from places "north of San Diego" to the City. As an LA stringer, I didn't care about the new fangled RCS, or what was in the radio, but can confirm the "package" remained "unopened" and delivered to a news person in a dark back alley behind a Dennys...because the main parking lot was full, not because it made it more secret. :p

Speaking of the 90's, how many of you remember when La Mesa PD would "go code" on Dispatch and flip the switch and go DVP on their analog VHF repeater?

Paul

Peter_SD911

Scan Sexy
Premium Subscriber
Speaking of the 90's, how many of you remember when La Mesa PD would "go code" on Dispatch and flip the switch and go DVP on their analog VHF repeater?

Paul

Speaking of annoying ...
How about those VARDA Alarms that the 7-11 stores on University and El Cajon Blvd use to have.

They were tied into SDPD "Freq-3 (159.090) and would broadcast directly onto the channel when triggered...

"There is a 211 in progress at 7-11...4502 University Ave..."

The recording would repeat over and over
It would override the dispatcher and the units, until they could shut it off.

It was soooooo annoying!

What I really miss from the old SDPD VHF...

"KLI-385"
"KMD-727"

Those Old pre-recorded SDPD "Freq"Id's were classic!
Each Freq had a Scan Sexy female dispatcher voice...
Except "Dispatcher Dixie" never voiced one.

Last edited:

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Speaking of annoying ...
How about those VARDA Alarms that the 7-11 stores on University and El Cajon Blvd use to have.

They were tied into SDPD "Freq-3 (159.090) and would broadcast directly onto the channel when triggered...

"There is a 211 in progress at 7-11...4502 University Ave..."

The recording would repeat over and over
It would override the dispatcher and the units, until they could shut it off.

It was soooooo annoying!

What I really miss from the old SDPD VHF...

"KLI-385"
"KMD-727"

Those Old pre-recorded SDPD "Freq"Id's were classic!
Each Freq had a Scan Sexy female dispatcher voice...
Except "Dispatcher Dixie" never voiced one.

I remember those on Central, a few businesses on Broadway had them. The annoyance has now been replaced by a 6 hour response time.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Carlsbad PD has completed their encryption process, and unpatched "clear" Dispatch 2 just in time for ASTREA to be unable to communicate with them a moment ago.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Their tac 1 is encrypted, so it would appear they are in the process of transitioning. #don'tellsdsu

Paul

d119

CHP updating its CRIS progress, including moving to APX NEXT RoIP based comms.

CHP on Vimeo

Paul
Vaporware, Paul. Don't get excited for AT LEAST 3+ years. There are a LOT of state agencies that need to be put on CRIS, and the state isn't going to dump its largest LE agency on there right off the bat. NEXT is largely unproven.

Buildout of CRIS is sporadic and not completely funded. State is broke thanks to Governor Hairgel.

Paul, I'll say it again: DO NOT GET EXCITED ABOUT IT YET.

Fire agencies are avoiding encryption due to interoperability issues, and lack of necessity. PII isn't transmitted by fire agencies as a HIPAA thing. Those fire agencies that are encrypted are done so because of overzealous communications divisions of county governments. And that's the truth.

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
Vaporware, Paul. Don't get excited for AT LEAST 3+ years. There are a LOT of state agencies that need to be put on CRIS, and the state isn't going to dump its largest LE agency on there right off the bat. NEXT is largely unproven.

Buildout of CRIS is sporadic and not completely funded. State is broke thanks to Governor Hairgel.

Paul, I'll say it again: DO NOT GET EXCITED ABOUT IT YET.

Fire agencies are avoiding encryption due to interoperability issues, and lack of necessity. PII isn't transmitted by fire agencies as a HIPAA thing. Those fire agencies that are encrypted are done so because of overzealous communications divisions of county governments. And that's the truth.

HIPAA doesn’t apply to communications required to treat patients, so you’re right, fire agencies that choose encryption can‘t use the HIPAA card as an excuse. I have transitioned to monitoring fire and EMS comms since law enforcement flipped the switch.

d119

HIPAA doesn’t apply to communications required to treat patients, so you’re right, fire agencies that choose encryption can‘t use the HIPAA card as an excuse. I have transitioned to monitoring fire and EMS comms since law enforcement flipped the switch.
Well, the point is that you aren't going to hear any PII relayed from fire agencies anyway. On the way to the hospital, you'll simply hear the patient age and pertinent medical information, but no names, dates of birth, etc.

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
Well, the point is that you aren't going to hear any PII relayed from fire agencies anyway. On the way to the hospital, you'll simply hear the patient age and pertinent medical information, but no names, dates of birth, etc.
Not specifically from fire, but from paramedics you may. It's rare, but I have heard hospitals request a patient's last name and DOB before. Generally, though, you're right, this doesn't happen.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber

Wasn't hearing any PII or officer safety comms on Law CC either, but...

And I am not so much "worries" about CHP, but it is as much as a concern about me getting $36,000 in Motorola APX gear pushed through my stations budget in 2019 just for us to own a bunch of bricks now just a couple of years later. (affiliating on Calfire tacs to receive edege of county east and northeast incidents is nice though)

Paul

Elpablo

Yikes, $36k for radio gear on a TV's station budget these days... Good Job! At least you were going into an election cycle for the ad revenue. Doesn't sound like your station is owned by Sinclair.