San Mateo County, CA: Man charged in series of police radio pranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jland138

Man charged in series of police radio pranks
Michael Podgorski, 50, pleads not guilty to 20 misdemeanor counts

BY JOSHUA MELVIN

Bay Area News Group

A man whom police say mocked officers and dispatched them to bogus crimes has pleaded not guilty to 20 misdemeanors.

Michael Podgorski, 50, is charged with 18 counts of interfering with police transmissions for using a doctored radio to get onto airwaves reserved for police officers, Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said. Podgorski, who also faces two counts of reporting a false emergency, was in San Mateo County Superior Court on Tuesday for his arraignment.

Police first began looking for a possible radio pirate in June, when a strange voice dispatched officers to what turned out to be a bogus bar fight in Burlingame.

While none of the officers recognized the speaker’s voice, they went to the call anyway, unsure if maybe an officer was down and a citizen was calling for help.

After that, someone began jamming up police airwaves with broadcasts of wacky audio clips, such as recordings of crank calls, and comments made about officers as they went about their work.

Based on what the pirate said on some occasions, it was clear he was watching the officers on the street.

The wisecracking voice appeared on various police channels, including ones used by Burlingame and San Mateo officers.

Each time the pirate appeared, dispatchers would read a notice warning him that he was breaking the law and order him to stop.

The broadcasts ceased for a while, only to start up again in September. A week after they began again, a detective caught Podgorski with the radio in a Burlingame bar, according to police.

Defense attorney Steve Chase said his client was engaged in a prank that was basically an act of boredom. There was no malicious intent.

“My impression is that it was thoughtless,” Chase said. “It was done without thought.”

Podgorski is out of custody in his own recognizance and is due back in court Feb. 25, Wagstaffe said.

ssd

man i hope they put him away for a long time. it dumb a** like him that makes the cops want encryption. and ant San Mateo County. on a p25 trs. y did they not brick his radio?

cousinkix1953

Isn't this a FEDERAL offense? It sounds like the FCC can't enforce even the most serious of violations any more. DD and his pals out of the San Francisco regional office (Hayward) are a joke.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
ssd

ssd.. Only San Mateo "County" agencies are on the P25 system. The individual cities are still on their analog UHF and VHF channels. It is idiots like this guy that not only puts public safety personnel at risk, but also prevents honest radio enthusiasts from purchasing programming software for their radio's. It also gives city officials the "ammunition" they need to switch to encrypted communications. While most of the sensitive information is now being sent to the MDT's or Cell Phones, there is still interesting traffic we get to listen to... at least for the time being.

cousinkix1953

ssd.. Only San Mateo "County" agencies are on the P25 system. The individual cities are still on their analog UHF and VHF channels. It is idiots like this guy that not only puts public safety personnel at risk, but also prevents honest radio enthusiasts from purchasing programming software for their radio's. It also gives city officials the "ammunition" they need to switch to encrypted communications. While most of the sensitive information is now being sent to the MDT's or Cell Phones, there is still interesting traffic we get to listen to... at least for the time being.
A nutcase woman was jamming the police calls in Hemet last summer. A collection of modified ham radios were seized from her home. There would be fewer problems, if the FCC and US Attorneys prosecuted these morons, to the fullest extent of the law. This just doesn't happen in the San Francisco Bay Area.

One Santa Cruz pirate radio station has operated 24/7/365 since 1996. Their address and telephone number are public information. Five angry letters doesn't shut them up. The FCC and US Marshals (armed with M-16 assault rifles) couldn't get the job done in 2004. This pirate is an independently wealthy trust baby. He buys a new transmitter almost as fast as the feds can seize the one he's using.

It's another story on the east coast. The second time they get caught; it's a ticket to federal prison. I'll bet they're just as tough on idiots who jam police radios too...

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"y did they not brick his radio?"

I believe this clip from the original post answers your question:
"...using a doctored radio..."

"It's another story on the east coast."

O'Rilly? Could be you're unfamiliar with the never ending story of Glen Baxter K1MAN.

"The second time they get caught; it's a ticket to federal prison. I'll bet they're just as tough on idiots who jam police radios too."

O'Rilly strikes again, this time on the left coast. It sure took long enough for Jack Gerritsen KG6IRO to land in federal prison in L.A., another one for you to look up on Google.

I have been personally involved with a few cases of pirates jamming ham and public service repeaters, the FCC is frankly a paper tiger. In all those cases it was the police and courts to give those idiots what was coming to them. Had they known what they were facing they would have turned to the FCC for protection, the federal pen is kindergarten compared to Riker's!

For those outside the NYC area, the island is inhabited by hungry animals if you get my drift.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Isn't this a FEDERAL offense? It sounds like the FCC can't enforce even the most serious of violations any more. DD and his pals out of the San Francisco regional office (Hayward) are a joke.

It is a Federal offense. It is also a State offense. It is often easier to prosecute in state courts than Federal, where the FCC must summon a U.S. Marshal to make the actual arrest, and an overburdened (and often politicized) U. S. Attorney's office must file the charges.

SCPD

QRT
"I'm curious to know why he used it at a bar?!"

Oh boy, are you really that naive? (;->)
I guess I am. I guess I would have thought it to be better in your private home unless it has GPS activated, then somewhere else private.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Even in a bar drunks rarely think of privacy when pulling a prank, they love to show off. If you've never been in a bar watching the show, you're excused. (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.