Sandhills Scanning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prycer

Premium Subscriber
Howdy!

This is my first forum post for Nebraska.

We have a ranch in Brown County just south of Johnstown; my mother is spending the summer there and it crossed my mind today when she was unable to get the land line phone to work that we might need a scanner up there.

The previous owner was on the VFD so we actually have a decent size antenna tower already on site.

I would like to put a good antenna on the tower to listen to the surrounding counties activity, NOAA, and HAM comms.

If anyone is in the Sandhills can you please recommend an antenna for this region. Between the wind and winter weather I am truly lost on where to begin.

Like I said, we do have a tower, I would guess it is 30 feet tall.

Thank you in advance!

KC0QNB

Good luck, your NOAA will come from North Platte 162.550, there may be relay stations up there also, that would be closer. There is a repeater in Ainsworth 147.36
Iam guessing most of the comms in that area will be on lowband or VHF.
check here enter Brown, county of in the state box, type NE, yeah that is kind of obvious.
there is at least 4 different hits of Brown county and if you replace Brown, county of with Ainsworth, there is more all over the area. So I would see if I could find a 2 meter base antenna, stick on the tower, get some good cable and listen away. I am not in the sandhills but I don't there is anybody closer on this forum. Welcome to Nebraska!

An antenna like the ARX2B would work better than a simple 1/4 wave ground plane Also the hustler G7-144 would work as well
If you don't already have a amateur license STRONGLY consider getting one, you might need it someday. Still looking for the weather radio station for your area

Last edited:

43g70

I have spent some time out in Blaine, and Thomas counties. Have not heard much on the law or fire when i was up there.

KC0QNB

I lived in Thedford many years ago, I went up west of there to Mullen, and around the area, the reason your aren't hearing much, is simply because there is a lack of people and things are so layed back up there, things of interest rarely happen. It is a nice area and for a person used to hustle and bustle of city or even town life, it is a real change, most leave after a few months, some stay for years.
But you have a ranch, probably the nearest neighbor is probably 10 miles away, sounds like a perfect place for a large antenna farm to me lol.
Started studying for your ham license yet? In my first post I said you may need it, let me edit that statement you WILL need it, if nothing else just to talk to somebody else out side of family. I hope you enjoy it I think I would.
When ready take your technician amateur license test, if they offer it take the general while you are about it.

If you can send me a picture of the tower, so I can ID it, it may be important to know what is there and if it can be made to grow.

Last edited:

Prycer

Premium Subscriber
I may actually be heading north early next week, if so I will make sure to take a good picture of the tower.

I need to set aside a weekend to study for the Tech license, I attempted it last summer without really studying and obviously didn't pass it.

I am really eager to get into HAM; scanning is such a great hobby itself but HAM literally will double the fun! --- Two-Way---Maybe I shouldn't try to make jokes so early in the morning...

I didn't think to mention to everyone until after I made my original post that I may very well be the most confused person at a UNL vs A&M football game. My dad is from Superior, NE so I grew up yelling "GO BIG RED!!!" now that I'm about to graduate from Texas A&M I find myself wanting to make myself a red and maroon t-shirt for game weekends.

Anyway, I really appreciate the input from everyone. I'll get those pictures up as soon as I can!

Last edited:

Prycer

Premium Subscriber
Pictures

I completely forgot that one of the guys at our branding this spring wanted to climb the tower for fun! We took pictures of him so he could scare his wife!

Attachments

• Carlo.JPG
    Carlo.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Tower_Full.JPG
    Tower_Full.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Tower_2.JPG
    Tower_2.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 110

KC0QNB

Thanks well the bad part is that tower probably cannot grow any more but it will work, it held windmills for years I am sure, talk about a wind load.

43g70

Looks like there is a fiberglass antenna already on it. You might try to find the coax and hook a scanner up an see if it works. Try the weateher frequencies, and 155.49.

Prycer

Premium Subscriber
I never recognized that it was a windmill! That's hilarious because I have been thinking about putting the a wifi antenna on top of a windmill we have at our place here in Texas.

The previous owner was on the VFD and left the base unit when he moved so the coax feed into the house is already there.. Thank goodness I don't have to explain to my parents why I need to drill a hole through stuco!

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.