Santa Rosa Police sounding different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Ok, I've got my second SDR and Unitrunker v2.1.0.51 running, but I'm not hearing anything.
I replied to you in the Unitrunker group, but I'll reply here also. The system is using TDMA voice, which Unitrunker cannot decode. You'll have to use another program such as DSD+ or SDRTrunk.

PS - I've submitted this system to be added to the database, so it should appear in Sonoma County soon.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that they're possibly using more power than originally thought. I clearly picked them up on my "handheld" scanner coming up the Cotati Grade while still on the "backside" of the hill from Santa Rosa. I then had a reliable signal all the way to the South end of Geyserville.

DSD+/SDRSharp *SAW* the signal on the data/voice channels for me but NO AUDIO came through, so I'm not sure what to say about those...SDRSharp "keyed/dekeyed" with each transmission as I heard it on UHF as well.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Gbcue

So I've got it working on SDRTrunk with two SDRs. Audio comes in and everything works. Now to try to get the audio clearer as it sounds so digital.

nokoa3116

So I've got it working on SDRTrunk with two SDRs. Audio comes in and everything works. Now to try to get the audio clearer as it sounds so digital.
Well you can't really, they use a vocoder for P25 TDMA, it's quite a bit compressed, everyone basically sounds like a robot with those, sometimes it can be difficult to understand them because of it. The SDR based programs don't decode the sound as nicely as say a scanner, or an actual Motorola radio would. But that's digital. The benefits of digital is the no static, it's always clearer. If you have crappy reception some parts of the audio may be missing or garbled but no static. I would love to get better sound with the SDRs but I have tried most programs OP25, Trunk-Recorder, SDRTrunk, DSD+ Fastlane. I think SDRTrunk gets the best sound of all. But it gives me quite a bit of garble so I mostly use OP25, it works well enough.

Gbcue

FYI, I've received TG 6005 today. So TG 6001-6005 is just like the old setup.

Gbcue

So after listening to the new system for a while, it looks like they haven't integrated the TDMA voice features, users can still talk over each other like it was an analog system.

officer_415

Database Admin
Yeah that's a system setting. Where I work, the system is set up so we can talk over dispatch, but not other units.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Seeing a TG 6006 with RID's 24855, 24900, 24917, 25175 and 25601 keying up today...Anyone around to listen to this some more?

Regards,

-Frank C.

Gbcue

TG 6006 is encrypted, so can't hear. I'm guessing it's another Tac.

Gbcue

Also seen 6005 popping up today, which is definitely an encrypted tactical channel.

What I've also noticed is that SRPD2 (records) is no longer transmitting on the analog old frequency at all.

officer_415

Database Admin
What I've also noticed is that SRPD2 (records) is no longer transmitting on the analog old frequency at all.

That's by design. The records channel is encrypted to comply with the DOJ requirement that personally identifiable information (PII) be protected. They'll probably keep the analog dispatch channel for the time being for interoperability with neighboring agencies.

Last edited:

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber

That also implies they've probably finished their transition and all SRPD radios are now talking directly on the P25 system.

Status
Not open for further replies.