Sarnia PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

denseglow

Does anyone know what kind of radios Sania PD use? Thanks! And do they really only have three channels?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
They use four, aparantly:

142.24500 1 Police APCO-25
142.45500 2 Police APCO-25
142.84500 3 Police APCO-25
142.62000 5 Police APCO-25

Not sure what the missing Channel 4 is, but I would suspect it's 142.770.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I know they use Motorola portables & mobiles, but I don't recall which models. I was the one who posted Channel 5 a year or so ago (happened to be listening when one officer asked another to switch to channel 5... Close Call did the rest). I have no clue what channel 4 would be, but OPC Common would be a good guess. And yes, they are APCO-25... not sure on the encryption mode.

Muxlow

Super Secret
I put in the cc's from teh datebase for the edacs system in sarnia and when was in teh city. Couldnt find any.. Was CC Scan the whole time.
Once home looked and i had the cc's programed in rite... Maybe they changed them or no longer use edacs in sarnia for the ems and fire?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
The EDACS system isn't very busy. I was there a few weeks ago and caught a little activity on it. I'll be there again this Sunday and I'll keep an ear for it.

gwtc199

Muxlow said:
I put in the cc's from teh datebase for the edacs system in sarnia and when was in teh city. Couldnt find any.. Was CC Scan the whole time.
Once home looked and i had the cc's programed in rite... Maybe they changed them or no longer use edacs in sarnia for the ems and fire?

I was in Sarnia yesterday (29th), had the TRS programmed in but didn't pick up the CC's untill I passed into the city limits. So I think the Name should be changed to Just Sarnia TRS, because it Definetly does not cover the whole county!

gwtc199

Muxlow said:

I was in Sarnia yesterday (29th), had the TRS programmed in but didn't pick up the CC's untill I passed into the city limits. So I think the Name should be changed to Just Sarnia TRS, because it Definetly does not cover the whole county!

Or I think there is another site not listed that covers the County.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Just a followup to the original question here.... Sarnia PD are using Motorola XTS portables (I'm not sure which model). Haven't had a chance to see what they are using for mobiles yet.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
gwtc199 said:
So I think the Name should be changed to Just Sarnia TRS, because it Definetly does not cover the whole county!

No, it covers most of the county no problem. Using a scanner and using a professional radio are two totally different things. I've heard people say they can't pick up the London Fire Department system throughout the City of London. On a "real" radio, you can pick it up as far away as Rodney, Strathroy, Ingersol and the like without a problem. Heck, I can get the Brantford system in Hamilton. Also have no problem with the Kitchener system from as close as Milton.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Here is a picture i took from a sarnia police car.
With my MRk i can pick up some stuff from the falls from chatham kent when i have it hooked up to the car charger and 800mhz antenna.
buut with the stock antenna i just get whats around in the area im in. say.. in melbourne i can get london edacs and conven things just fine
53fyb1s.jpg

Josh

typical Astro Spectra W4, and oh look crypto.... don't they run that full-time?

Also, the Astro Spectra does not do the county EDACs stuff, but I also know that there are two things being discussed here. I would be willing to wager that interoperability with Fleetnet is also in there.

-Josh

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm willing to bet it isn't for 3 reasons.

1) No need for it. OPC Common is the conventional vhf mutual aid channel of choice for all police services in Ontario.

2) Additional cost in purchasing the Smartzone package instead of the conventional Smartnet package.

3) System costs for Bell Mobility Radio to add the radios into their system.

When you add up the additional cost with no real need to go on Fleetnet, it just doesn't make sense.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Josh said:
typical Astro Spectra W4, and oh look crypto.... don't they run that full-time?

Don't forget the encryption button comes standard with the W4 head, unless it's specified to not be there, in place of something else. Toronto Fire has the encryption button on their XTL5000 mobiles but they don't have modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.