Sarnia's EMS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellotor

You believe incorrectly. The Ontario government downloaded land ambulance service to the municipalities some years ago, which means the Ministry of Health oversees the standards by which the municipalities must abide. In other words, the municipalities run the day-to-day operations (scheduling, hiring, vehicle maintenance and so forth) while the MOH looks after the bigger picture...such as radio systems.

Some land ambulance services are grouped in with (organizationally at least) fire departments but that isn't necessarily the norm. Here in Hamilton the EMS has a different organization within the city staff hierarchy...same thing with places like Niagara and Grey and Bruce counties.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
From http://www.lambtononline.ca/emergency_medical_services :

The County of Lambton's Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Department offers land ambulance services to the residents of Lambton County. Paramedics work at nine different stations located at Brigden, Corunna, Forest, Grand Bend, Petrolia, Sarnia (2), Thedford, and Watford. In 2005, paramedics responded to approximately 22,000 calls for medical assistance.

Outside of the city they are on Fleetnet. Within the city the are on the Sarnia EDACS system. They may also use Fleetnet within the city, I'm not sure (haven't been down that way in a bit).

Also take a look at http://frontpage.sarnia.com/paramedics/

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
Jellotor not all municipalities run their own EMS depts. Here in Southwestern Ontario more specificially in Middlesex(London) and Elgin counties the EMS depts are provided by a private company. It was left up to each county as to which way the wanted to go with their EMS keep it a county dept or privitize it.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
The ambulance service in Waterloo Region was privately run up until aprox. 5 years ago or so when the Region took it over.

jellotor

I stand by my previous comment. Once land ambluance services were downloaded, it was up to the upper-tier governments (counties & regions & cities) to determine how they would provide the service. If they wanted to contract a private company to provide that service, the legislation provided for that option.

Just like when the OPP assume the policing duties in smaller areas that once had their own police services, the paramedics are usually grandfathered in/out of whichever organization is providing land ambulance services. I'm sure that was the case in Waterloo, Terry.

The bottom line is that EMS is no longer the sole responsibility of the MOH...it's shared by all the upper-tier municipalities in the province.

gwtc199

X1536,

Lambton County EMS uses Bell Fleetnet towers in Sarnia (tower 31) and Ipperwash (tower 27), it might also be a good idea to program London(18), Chatham(16) and Wardsville(19) since they are close. For the TG numbers use the ones listed under Wallaceburg CACC, they control ambulance dispatch for Chatham-Kent and Lambton Counties.
For the City of Sarnia program the Sarnia-Lambton EDACS system, that will also give you FD for the City and County.
With that setup you should get every communication for EMS in Sarnia-Lambton and maybe Chatham-Kent, Since I can pick up Lambton County from Chatham.

Also here in Chatham-Kent, Sunparlour Medical Services handles EMS, it might be the same there.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Whats the edacs site number for sarnia?
I tried 1 and all i get is CC Scan... Perhaps its something other then 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.