SATCOM 250mhz antenna help please.....

fires999

Good Morning Forum,
Hi everyone, could I get your help please ?
I have a Trivec Avant antenna for 250mhz reception.
It is the version that breaks down into 4 or 5 components and fits snugly in a pouch/bag.
When assembled, it sits on it's own tripod - so my question is at what elevation should I be pointing for best reception ?
It sits on a circular garden table in my rear garden and has full 360° view of the sky - just wondering at what angle from horizontal it should be elevated ?
Thanks in advance,
Kevin ( UK firefighter attached to US Airforce Base , East of England)
PS..might he another basic question, but as mentioned I'm located in the East of England if that has any relevance to my above question ??!!!

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
The page below is available all over the Internet and unrestricted so no problem posting here. It shows some common orbital slots for UHF satcom satellites with degrees east and west. Then go here and punch in your location and in the satellite name section find a satellite with the same orbital slot as the UHF satcom your interested in and it will give you a look angle.

page25image2865261152

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
The N2YO site would be a good start.

Look for "Set your current location" on the right hand side down the page (when I go to the site it remembers my location, so your presentation will be different) and set your location in latitude & longitude.

Then in the "Find a satellite" field up the top, enter: UFO

For you UFO 10 looks a candidate (along with UFO 6/8/2). Click on UFO 10, and similar to the first attachment should appear.

Then click on the link "Track UFO nn (UFO nnn) Now!".

Then something like attachment 2 should appear, with the satellite's azimuth and elevation for your antenna pointing.

There are other satellites (e.g. SKYNET MUOS FLTSATCOM) but I suspect for you the UFO series are the ones that may carry plain voice, the others data/digital.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

fires999

Prcguy & VK3RX,
Thankyou so much for both of your replies - the information is invaluable and I really appreciate the time you've taken to help me out, thanks again.
Currently I get goodish reception just using a vertical antenna for UHF Miliband when listening to the " users" between 250 and 265 mhz.
Obviously alot of the traffic is non- English speaking, I'm guessing Russia/Ukraine region and Brazilian users, but every so often I still get US Mil users using FM and info I've found on the " Solarix" website.
Thanks again, will let the Forum know how I get on.
Kev ( USAF Mildenhall, Suffolk, UK)