Saying "over" at the end of a transmission

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
brian and stewie, over...
You’re late…

gman4661

BCG's!!!

Yeah, not army, but I know what you mean. Listened to a lot of SSB marine traffic while up on the bridge.
As I don't have a military mind, I had to look up BCGs.

Found some frames on eBay. A lifetime supply for only $19 each. What a bargain!

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Just going along with this conversation, a guy who was in my Novice Ham class in 1967 got licensed around the same time I did (took 3 months for it to arrive) to this day, says "over" when he's on Amateur two meter band, usually on our Club repeater. He sounds like he got his license yesterday, with a staccato voice, and difficulty remembering names and callsigns. Never got my name or callsign right even though we've known each other for over 50 years.

DirtyOldMan

I drive a school bus and they insist we identify ourselves as Mobile 88, not bus 88 or just 88. Other than that, they really don't have any rules regarding saying over or out.
Alan

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Hearing people still using “over” drives me crazy.

Break.

Just as crazy as when people use “break”. Yes, we know you changed topics you’re talking about. We’re all waiting for you to finish telling your life’s story and unkey so we can also use the channel. We heard you change what you were talking about. It doesn’t need to be pointed out. Now can you at least pause to take a breath?

Oh, yeah.
Over.

MarkVee

Oddly coincidental, my Niece used "over" with me (once) last weekend after taking the radio away from her Dad that was trying to talk over (interrupt) me while I was speaking. Given the circumstances I thought it very appropriate, especially since she has no formal radio training.

I've heard it used on repeater phone patches, after the party answers you advise them it's a phone call over a radio system, so "only one of us can talk at a time, over".