SC Roll Call

stevez97

Premium Subscriber
Name: Steve
Radios: TK-290, TK-2180, TK-3180, Yaesu VX-5R, Yaesu FTM-400, Rfinder B1, Anytone 878, Unication G5, Uniden SDS100, Uniden BC125AT
Monitor: Primarily local police and fire, local amateur repeaters, DMR talkgroups; Secondarily aircraft, EMS

gegatesSC

Premium Subscriber
New Guy in Myrtle Beach area. Even though I am an electrical engineer and have worked SIGINT and radar for military applications I’ve oddly never delved into this area. After hanging with some folks I learned of low cost SDRs, and my mother wanted a scanner for Christmas. So…after she got her bearcat trunk tracker I found this site, considering I had about 30 minutes to learn how to program it to her local P25 (FreeScan and RR made that happen) I also have extensive software, networking and Linux experience so this seems like great fun. May even jump up to hosting a broadcastify stream once I see what’s missing in my local region.

I’m getting a bunch of NooElec nano threes in a few days so I’ll probably tap into local p25 to start. Who knows where I’ll go from there. Wifey might like a PI based scanner. Might chuck a 1U server in my comms rack next to my attic and pull off some work there. Anything goes!

I suffer from too many hobbies…but was only a matter of time before this happened I guess.

stevez97

Premium Subscriber
Even though I have an SDS100 and Unication G5, I've thought about jumping into the SDR area to see what it's all about. It certainly sounds like a good deal of fun at a minimal cost. I'll look forward to following your progress. Keep us updated!!!

gegatesSC

Premium Subscriber
Even though I have an SDS100 and Unication G5, I've thought about jumping into the SDR area to see what it's all about. It certainly sounds like a good deal of fun at a minimal cost. I'll look forward to following your progress. Keep us updated!!!
Certainly will! Thanks!

-Geoff

gegatesSC

Premium Subscriber
Well, got two Nooelec nano three's and SDRTrunk up and running on Horry P25 simulcast. Within minutes - listening to a vast majority of the talk groups. Easy peasy.

I plan on building a little rasberry pi to do this...probably will be based on OP25 and similar to what was done here. I plan on making a small change to allow connecting bluetooth down the road as well. Thinking I could use this in the car, wherever.

I'm not adept enough to follow two conversations happening simultaneously in stereo (which SDRTrunk can do), there is plenty of traffic that you do have to set talkgroup prioriteis carefully. Should have fired this up last night and listened to mayhem :cool:

SHULER

KF4NQN. Shuler
Monetta SC EM93eu
Mobile HF on ft-891 and atas-100
FM uhf-vhf on BTech 50 watt
DMR on pi/mmdvm and TYT md-uv390
HT - baofeng uv5r

W4RRC repeater
W4USC - little Mountain
SCHeart FM and DMR
Greenwood and Edgefield/Trenton repeaters