SC Roll Call

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
So, wich one of you guys is the one going antenna crazy on New mecallhaney in TR. Drive by everyday and see more antennas. Good work!

jdb_br15

FIREFIGHTER/EMS
Premium Subscriber
~Your Name -- Johnny Bozard
~Location -- Orangeburg ,S.C. Town of Branchville
~Radios in your shack - Motorola XTS 2500,HT 1000,2- BCD536,2- Home Patrol II, Unication G5 and can't do with out my CB's. ~Scanner online - PROSCAN.ORG ORANGEBURG
~What do you monitor on a daily basis? State and Local Police, Sherriff, Fire, EMS, Wildlife, Forestery and ect.

NightF0x

~Your Name -- David
~Location -- South of Columbus NC. About a mile from the state line so I pick up SC and NC calls
~Radios in your shack - BCD536HP & an old BC92XLT
~What do you monitor on a daily basis? Everything that I can pick up, not dedicated to anything specific

jgiercyk

~Your Name: Jim, N2SUB
~Location: Greenville, SC
~Radios in your shack: SDS200 and a BC895XLT for scanning. I have far too much ham gear to list :)
~What do you monitor on a daily basis? Aviation, and public safety on Palmetto 800 and local conventional systems

I have recently become re-interested in scanning because my HF antenna was taken down (quite literally) due to construction. The BC895XLT hadn't seen the light of day since the early 90s, but she fired up like a champ. It's great for aviation monitoring, and my upstairs office is in the approach to a local airport. I've always been an aviation nerd, and it felt like old times. Regarding ham radio activity, I am active on the local VHF net, and I do a lot of DMR and DSTAR via hot spots. I've also started chasing the FM amateur satellites. I guess the lack of an HF antenna hasn't stopped me from enjoying the hobby, and it's rekindled an old flame; it's brought me back to my roots. So I invested (heavily!!!) in a new SDS200. I never would have dreamed of such a machine back in the 90s....it's been a great quantum leap for me and I've really enjoyed it! It says I've been a member since 2006, but I've always been the typical "fly on the wall". Now that I'm back into scanning, I will have a lot of questions, and I've enjoyed and learned from countless posts. I'm looking forward to good things from this group. 73 es all the best

Jim, N2SUB

Jlandjland

Premium Subscriber
Your name- Jeff
Location- Irmo,SC
radios in your shack: Whistler 1065,
Monitor mostly local police,fire,ems.

Just bought a uniden bearcat BCT15X for my son in law. I Had programmed it using freescan, didn't have much trouble doing that. But i don't hear anything on the Palmetto 800 for the same channels i use on my whislter. Will this uniden only pick up stations using conventional programming? Would like some input on how to best program this uniden for my area.
Love the site and the forum, great info on here.

W6SDF

AKA Scorch
~Scott W6SDF
~Savannah Lakes Village (old fart community), McCormick, SC
~Several old 2006's with Cheek mods & OptoScan 456 boards, mostly used for data channel feeds. Uniden BCD996XT. Yaesu FT-8800. Kenwood TMV-71A. ICOM 7300,
~Don't monitor anything yet, haven't unpacked radios, set up shack desks, ran cables, mounted antennas, or figured out if the 996 will receive anything or if encrypted. Gotta lot of work to do!

Xodice

Premium Subscriber
Name: Allan
Equipment: Dedicated Linux server with 2 RTL_SDR dongles acting as a calls ingest server for broadcastify
Monitor: Palmetto 800, Kershaw (Camden) tower.

N0ION

NØION -- David Banks, formerly G8BEX in the UK in 1965.
Lived in Colo. Springs for over 30 years, retired here 4 years ago.
Now live in Ladson, but actually very close to Summerville Medical Center.
Former Fire Chief and EMT for over 40 years (still current South Carolina, but not active).
Hardly surprisingly, listen mostly to EMS and Fire (old habits die hard), but not been active for a while.
Have a new interest in Charleston County Fire/EMS since my son (former EMT) just finished training as a dispatcher there . . .

rcheid

Ryan N4RRM
North Charleston (Dorchester County)
Uniden SDS100, AnyTone D878UVII Plus, Motorola APX4000

I enjoy monitoring amateur DMR talkgroups along with local fire, EMS, and the little law enforcement left to be monitored.

stevez97

Premium Subscriber
Steve KB2EFK
Myrtle Beach (Horry County) - moved here full time about 10 weeks ago.
SDS 100, Unication G5, BC125AT, XPR7550e, Anytone 878, Yaesu FTM-400xdr, Yaesu VX-5R, Kenwood TK-82180 & TK 3180

I primarily monitor PD/Fire/EMS for Myrtle Beach and Horry County; Just getting into amateur VHF/UHF activity, as well as starting to monitor some aeronautical bands.

jonagra

Premium Subscriber
Hi all! I'm a little new to the radio scene, hoping to learn a little more!
To answer the questions:

~Jon
~Simpsonville, SC (Greenville County)
~Two SDR tuners:
~~NooElec NESDR SMArTee (R820T2)
~~NooElec NESDR Smart XTR (E4000)
~Palmetto 800 Greenville County Talkgroups, mostly Greenville FD, EMS, Simpsonville PD

Anyone else from Greenville County feel free to PM or reply!

GKLdiy88

~Gary
~Fairfield County, SC
~Yaesu FT-60R HT (new to ham radio, first ham radio)
~no callsign yet, just passed the Technician class and General exams today and waiting on my callsign

stevez97

Premium Subscriber
No ham yet, XTS5000, APX6000 and XTL5000 listening to Horry County, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle when at the condo in MB. Scanners in storage since having portables

Is your APX6000 your daily driver for Horry County monitoring? I have a Unication G5 and Uniden SDS100, but have been considering stepping up to the APX6000.

Tobydog

Is your APX6000 your daily driver for Horry County monitoring? I have a Unication G5 and Uniden SDS100, but have been considering stepping up to the APX6000.
All 3 units set for work/ regional monitoring when in town. Monitor Horry, VIPER and adjoining NC counties. 6000 is ready radio for Phase 2 changes coming on systems. 6000 is pricey and requires someone who can program one for systems. Not sure about using one for scanner

GKLdiy88

~Gary
~Fairfield County, SC
~Yaesu FT-60R HT (new to ham radio, first ham radio)
~no callsign yet, just passed the Technician class and General exams today and waiting on my callsign

UPDATE: not only got my initial callsign, but already changed it to: N4GKL

CybeardSec

Brian
Blythewood
Currently have a BCD996XT and just got my SDS-200
Usually monitoring Columbia-Richland Fire, and local ham repeaters

I used to be a volunteer FF in Meck County until our dept closed. Shortly after that I moved down to the Columbia area, where I volunteered with CFD at Station 26 for a few years before I decided I was done with the adrenaline rushes! Getting ready to take my technician exam this Sat, so hopefully I'll be adding a callsign in the not too distant future.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
OK, getting ready for the permanent mount of the Sirio antenna. I still have it mounted low on the deck to tune the antenna. With 25 feet of RG8x I had it dialed down to a SWR of 1:1 on the lower channels and 1:1.24 un channel 40. Got the new cable, a 40 foot run of Beldon Rg213 to use to elevate the mast. With antenna in the same spot I am now between 2.0 and 2:223.. Is one of the cables bad? It because the 213 can carry more juice? I am assuming I will check the 213 cable for shorts or opens. Any advice?

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Mods please delete this reply, I had two windows open and clicked the wrong one to reply to.

kennyjax1961

Premium Subscriber
~Your Name (& ham callsign if you have one) - kennyjax61
~Location - Marion S.C.
~Radios in your shack - Uniden Bearcat Trunkertracker V BCD996P2
~What do you monitor on a daily basis? - Marion and surrounding counties