Scan Sets vs. Scan List issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I must have inadvertently changed a setting somewhere, because this never used to be an issue until now.

I never used to use Scan Sets much, just Scan Lists. I just enabled whichever Scan Lists I wanted to monitor, and that was it. Now, no matter which Scan List I enable, I get the "Nothing to Scan" message. The only way I can scan anything is to enable at least one Scan Set. But, in this case, it scans everything in that set, regardless of what Scan Lists I have enabled, even if they are all turned off.

I'm sure this must be just a setting somewhere, but I can't figure it out. This is the TRX-1, BTW.

Swipesy

W4KKR, if you use the ScanList method to scan you must always have at least one Scan Set enabled. By default ScanSet 01 came with 1-200 ScanList, Skywarn. Unless you changed the default all you have to do is enable ScanSet 01 (disable ScanSets 02-20) plus enable the ScanLists you want to listen to. If you changed ScanSet 01 from the original default then just reset it up. Make ScanSet o1 - 1,200, Skywarn and enable it. That should do it.

Just remember when using Scanlist method to enable at least one ScanSet.

If you use the ScanSet Method, then enable all of your ScanLists, Disable ScanSet 01 and setup ScanSets 02 -20 with the ScanLists you want to listen to and enable them.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Under Advanced Features in EZScan, change the Scan Set Mode.

/Ubbe

Thanks; that was the problem; apparently that one setting got changed.

Is the "Scan Set Mode" available on the radio via a menu item without using the software? The closest thing I could find was "ScanSets Opt", but this only seems to completely disable ScanSets.

TAbirdman

go to Main MENU and scroll down to SCAN SETs - from there you can turn on/off the sets or assign scan lists to scan sets.

RDGDigital

Is the "Scan Set Mode" available on the radio via a menu item without using the software? The closest thing I could find was "ScanSets Opt", but this only seems to completely disable ScanSets.

That is the setting for setting the Scan Set Mode. Check for ignore and Uncheck for require.

That being said, it is not my preferred method. For me, I prefer to leave that setting unchecked (require scan lists to be enabled). Then I add all Scan Lists to Scan Set 01. Next, I can load Scan Sets 02-20 with whatever Scan Lists I desire (In my case, I load each Scan Set by County).

This way if I want to use Scan Sets to decide what I want to listen to, I'll turn off (disable) Scan Set 01, and then turn on the Scan Set(s) I want to listen to. And if I want to use just the Scan Lists, I'll turn on (enable) Scan Set 01 and use Scan Lists to decide what I want to listen to.

The only caveat is that to use Scan Sets, you need to enable all Scan Lists, and to use just Scan Lists, you only enable the ones you want to listen to.

All of this is fairly easy to do from the Scanner's keyboard just by either toggling Scan Sets (with Scan Set 01 being the toggle for mode) or toggling Scan Lists.

Hope this helps (and also hope it doesn't confuse).

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Hope this helps (and also hope it doesn't confuse).

No, that's a good explanation. In my case, I was using your method, which I prefer, but somehow the Scan Set Mode setting got checked, and that's when the issues began, and I couldn't figure out why I was getting the "Nothing to Scan" message. All good now.

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
Ease of use of Scan Sets while mobile

I'm considering the TRX-2 for mobile operations. I like the separable display head. I have a PSR-800 so I understand scan sets and scan lists though I prefer the Uniden way with Favorites Lists. The question is how easy is it to switch between Scan Sets while mobile? With the PSR-800 not having a full keyboard it is a dangerous thing to do while mobile. Is it easier with the TRX-2 since it has a full keyboard?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The only way to turn on and off list with the TRX works just like the PRO668 and PRO18 press menu scanlist up and down to turn on and off is the only way I know my TRX-2 works good mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.