• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

radios4bill

Hi Group; I ordered a G5 today and i was told by a friend that you can not scan more the one system in a Zone. On my APX there is Multi Site scan and you can scan more then one site. Can anyone conform or deny this? Thanks, Bill

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I was just informed the G5 cannot scan even trunked and conventional simultaneously. I know it cannot scan two systems at once. I was looking to scan a single 800 P25 TG and a VHF conventional frequency , but that's a no-go.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
You are both correct. You can only scan one system at a time and a max of 64 talk groups on that system per knob position. You cannot scan conventional and trunked at the same time. You have to remember that the G5 was meant to be used as a pager where you monitor let's say a VHF or UHF analog conventional dispatch channel. Once alerted to a call, you can then change the knob position to monitor let's say the response and operations talk groups on a P25 trunked system. Scanner hobbyists have found that this little thing has a really great receiver and handles LSM Simulcast distortion better than any Whistler or Uniden scanner. So it's not really built for multi-system scanning or conventional and trunked scanning together like a traditional scanner or APX radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radios4bill

You are both correct. You can only scan one system at a time and a max of 64 talk groups on that system per knob position. You cannot scan conventional and trunked at the same time. You have to remember that the G5 was meant to be used as a pager where you monitor let's say a VHF or UHF analog conventional dispatch channel. Once alerted to a call, you can then change the knob position to monitor let's say the response and operations talk groups on a P25 trunked system. Scanner hobbyists have found that this little thing has a really great receiver and handles LSM Simulcast distortion better than any Whistler or Uniden scanner. So it's not really built for multi-system scanning or conventional and trunked scanning together like a traditional scanner or APX radio.

Thanks for the info. You can put and monitor multi system correct? It will only monitor one system at a time, correct!

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I have 34 systems in mine some with multiple sites like NC VIPER, Palmetto P25, SEGARRN, etc. So yes.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
You cannot scan conventional and trunked at the same time. You have to remember that the G5 was meant to be used as a pager where you monitor let's say a VHF or UHF analog conventional dispatch channel.

Personally I want to use it as a public safety pager, so I can use one pager instead of two for monitoring two adjoining towns. One is 800 trunked, the other is VHF. Which is why I was looking into it.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Hi Group; I ordered a G5 today and i was told by a friend that you can not scan more the one system in a Zone. On my APX there is Multi Site scan and you can scan more then one site. Can anyone conform or deny this? Thanks, Bill

You can program multiple sites for one system if you want. The G4/G5 will first try one of your programmed sites at random, and if that control channel signal is good it will remain locked on that site unless the signal quality degrades beyond a certain point. If you then move out of range of that site, the radio will attempt to find a different site with a better control channel signal. Works well in my area where we have two different simulcast sites, each covering a different part of the county, but carrying the same talkgroups.

Last edited:
can anyone send me a code plug for the G5V Pager so i can look at how you did yours i know i have to Import that to the Unication Software.

Last edited:

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I fee like I'm listening to NA on DMR...all these codeplug requests, LOL.

One of the biggest things about this hobby is the learning process. The software is not that difficult to use. In other forums we call this "spoon feeding." If you have questions, please ask. But I feel you have to take the time to play with the software and learn through some trial and error. Don't you all remember when we had to program scanners by hand ? Now you can just download everything. And that is why people don't understand how things operate.

never mind asking was just making sure i have the P25 Conv channel correct for monitor each one.I'm Building up a code plug so when i get mine all i have to do is program it thanks anyways

radios4bill

Dave and I are friends and are in the same area and I just wanted to know how to share mine with him. Thank you for your help.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Pm me your email and I'll send you mine. I have some conventional in their as well you can see how I have it set up.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Dave and Bill....just send you a good file to help you out. The conventional stuff is a real pain and I didn't understand it at first. I also don't like how it displays "CSQ" on the screen big when scanning and the actual freq displayed very small. I sent a request to Unication to change this also along with other suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.