Scan125 software plus 800 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

compuscan

The BC125AT does not cover 800 MHz but I see in the software on it's main page Scan125 Control Program that it has an option for 800 MHz.

Can this enable 800 MHz on this scanner?

What is the purpose of this option in the software if the radio don't have 800 MHz?

How does this software compare to the ARC125 & Uniden's own software when used with the BC125AT?

Gpmorris62

Premium Subscriber
If you look at the screen shots of the software, you'll see that the 800 Mhz option is only for the European & Australian versions of the software.
Even if the American version of the software had that option, it won't change the fact that the scanner firmware won't do 800 Mhz.

Dog

The UBC-125XLT and UBC-126AT covers 806-960MHz. It is not a scanner sold on the American market. The American model is BC-125XLT. So no the softwares doesn't enable anything that doesn't come enabled with the scanner.

I use Scan125. However it has been so long since I tried all 3 I don't remember why. It was the one that I worked the best when I tries them all. Try all and see which fits you best.

Last edited:

pb_lonny

I use Scan125 almost daily and am in regular contact with the creator. The UBC126AT does support 800MHz which is why it is listed.

Scan125

Well as the author of Scan125 I think I can safely chip in here a little.

Firstly my Scan125 Control Program does not enable any otherwise lacking functions in any of the 125 series of Uniden scanners.

Scan125 was originally written based on the publicised BC125AT api. A lot of reading, detailed specification comparisons helped me, with the help of my UBC125XLT scanner work out what the Scan125 could support in each of the US BC125AT and European UBC125XLT scanners.

Then with the help of Paul (pb_lonny) and his Australian hemisphere UBC126AT scanner I could then make Scan125 support this scanner as well.

Why???????? Uniden chose to create diverse variations of 125 series scanner firmware I have no idea. I suspect that "under the covers" the base 125 hardware is capable of supporting all of the regional variations and it is only the loaded firmware that differentiates them.

I also note that the US BC125AT scanner has received firmware updates BUT the UBC125XLT and UBC125AT scanners seem to have only ever shipped with just one firmware version.

I continue to develop Scan125 with user requests but I'm bounded by each of the regional 125 firmware support command sets.

Finally, as yet I have not discovered any way to make the BC125AT / UBC125XLT / UBC125AT scanners support any of the bands/frequencies/etc. of another 125 scanner that they lack.

What Scan125 can do with regards to each scanner is defined/documented in this table:

http://nick-bailey.co.uk/scan125/manual/Scan125-Manual.html#4

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I suspect that "under the covers" the base 125 hardware is capable of supporting all of the regional variations and it is only the loaded firmware that differentiates them.
The US version does not have the circuitry to receive 800 MHz. As most 800 MHz is trunked and much is digital, it is not worth the (significant) cost to add that band to the scanner.

Dog

Well as the author of Scan125 I think I can safely chip in here a little.

Firstly my Scan125 Control Program does not enable any otherwise lacking functions in any of the 125 series of Uniden scanners.

Scan125 was originally written based on the publicised BC125AT api. A lot of reading, detailed specification comparisons helped me, with the help of my UBC125XLT scanner work out what the Scan125 could support in each of the US BC125AT and European UBC125XLT scanners.

Then with the help of Paul (pb_lonny) and his Australian hemisphere UBC126AT scanner I could then make Scan125 support this scanner as well.

Why???????? Uniden chose to create diverse variations of 125 series scanner firmware I have no idea. I suspect that "under the covers" the base 125 hardware is capable of supporting all of the regional variations and it is only the loaded firmware that differentiates them.

I also note that the US BC125AT scanner has received firmware updates BUT the UBC125XLT and UBC125AT scanners seem to have only ever shipped with just one firmware version.

I continue to develop Scan125 with user requests but I'm bounded by each of the regional 125 firmware support command sets.

Finally, as yet I have not discovered any way to make the BC125AT / UBC125XLT / UBC125AT scanners support any of the bands/frequencies/etc. of another 125 scanner that they lack.

What Scan125 can do with regards to each scanner is defined/documented in this table:

http://nick-bailey.co.uk/scan125/manual/Scan125-Manual.html#4

Thank you for all your hard work. I have used your software daily for several years now.

Scan125

The US version does not have the circuitry to receive 800 MHz. As most 800 MHz is trunked and much is digital, it is not worth the (significant) cost to add that band to the scanner.

Thanks for the clarification. I would have thought Uniden could have saved on production and design costs by having a common/uniform hardware platform and then offered the regional variations and any required compliances by means firmware.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The international versions came out quite a bit after I made the BC125AT. I don't know what changes might have been made to accommodate internationalization, but I do know about what it would cost to add the parts necessary for 800 MHz coverage, and I am certain that I'm not paying for those parts.

Scan125

Thanks for the interesting and informative reply UpMan (a.k.a Paul :))

You obviously know what you are talking about.

As we are talking about 125 series of scanners is there any particular reason the full API was not published? I had to do a lot of research, cross referencing and trying other Uniden scanner commands to be able to make Scan125 do what it does.

In hind site I'm quite pleased I had to dig deep as Scan125 is the only program I know that can do what it does and more importantly has kept my aging brain cells alive and well.

Nick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.