Scanner dealers in VA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
OK, So for the hour or so I have been working on testing things with the 436 I have been impressed.

I first started the test with the HP-1 and the 436 using their stock antennas. The HP-1 does not perform like the 436 indoors with the stock antenna.The HP-1 had a hard time getting signal and getting transmissions. Hp-1 and BCD-436HP side by side Part 1 - YouTube

I then took the stock antenna off the HP-1 and put my 23" antenna on. It had better signal but still did not bring in all the transmissions like the 436 with the stock antenna did. Hp had a little advantage over the 436 this way but not much.

I then took the 436 and installed the firmware update 1.2, Put the stock antenna on the 436 and then left the 23" antenna on the HP. Side by side the HP was getting better transmissions than the 436. The 436 was still getting signal and everything but did not keep up audio wise.

I then took and put my other 23" antenna on the 436 and ran it side by side with the HP along with its own 23" antenna and once again the 436 is kicking the HP-1 butt.

Over the next few days I will be playing and recording better videos. I will also take a try at a review for the 436.

As of right now I can say it is louder, clearer than the HP and now I am actually able to walk around the house with a true "mobile" radio and hear things like never before. So, far.

I still have phase 2 and TDMA to test out to know if I really like the new radio.

more to come.....

Dafe1er

If you are within range of Stafford, I'm sure a few of us would be curious how it handles that simulcast system.

Working on that as I type. I have heard loud and clear Stafford Fire using the stock antenna once again and located in my home. Will try to get video up today. Just need to wait until a busy time....wait here comes a short clip for ya. The audio starts around 2:48. I am about 30 miles from Stafford.
BCD436HP Doing Stafford Fire Department - YouTube

If you are on the fence, I hope my videos help you make your decision easier. I was the same way and was not happy seeing the reviews from others. But I took the gamble and so far it has worked out for me.

More to come......

Dafe1er

OK, here is another video of the 436 doing its job this morning on the Stafford County Fire/ EMS. I have all the channels in the scanner that are listed on RR for Stafford and so far I have only been able to catch Fire. I know the Sheriff Dispatch channel is listed but does show encryption in the database. So, I highly doubt I will get anything from them. We will see.

I have a date set for next weekend to be up in Loudoun County and if I make it, I will be trying to obtain video for those of you sitting on the fence about the x36 radios and how well it works on the Loudoun phase 2 system.

I think those of you having issues with STARS might need to try and restore your unit(s) to default setting and start over. If that does not work it might be your antenna. If that is not it, try formatting the SD card and redo the database. If that does not work and you have done every option you can think of, then it might just be the unit. There is no other reasons I can come up with other than user error if all else fails. The 436 has worked out of the box and now with the firmware (1.2) update with no hiccups. (so far)

There is a learning curve for those of you who never had the HP or used the Sentinel software. I did nothing more than open sentinel a week before getting the 436 and made my testing folder's to upload. I have not even tried the discovery modes or anything else the scanner has to offer yet. I just want to try and help those who are having issues with STARS first. There is something you folk's are missing or again the unit could be bad. Not like it is unheard of.

Enjoy:
Stafford Run 2 12 2014 - YouTube

more to come......

fredva

Feed Provider
Thanks for posting the videos. That sounds pretty good.

I'm not planning to buy one right away, but I might in a year or two. We shall see.

bradygrim

Loudoun County and STARS

I have had my 436 for almost 2 weeks now and here are my observations on it and receiving the Loudoun County and VA Stars Systems.

As for receiving the Loudoun County Phase II TDMA system, I am very impressed. I have had absolutely no issues at all receiving LCFR, the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office, or the Leesburg PD. The signal strength has been strong and the quality of transmissions has been really good. The reception is much better than I was expecting and I can say I am impressed.

As far as STARS goes, I have been using it to monitor VSP and other emergency management related talkgroups. Compared to my HP-1, the 436 is much better. I am receiving sites from greater distances on my 436 than I am on my HP-1. I am using stock antennas on both units, set up on a first floor apartment in Leesburg.

The 436 has been a welcome addition to my many other scanners and so far, it has been well worth the investment. I will let you know if any issues pop up.

Dafe1er

Is there anyone monitoring the Culpepper MOTO 2 system with a 436?
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2285

For some reason I did not think of testing this system until yesterday. Since I have been listening to it on the 436 it comes and goes and is garbled when they are transmitting.

I was looking to see if anybody is receiving them clear or having the same issue?

If you do have it coming in clear, have you change a setting or two to bring it in better? Or is everything stock?

I am thinking it might be an antenna issue since I am using the stock antenna and the other antenna I use is a 23" mini mag mount inside my home. But want to get some input from you out there.

Thank you.

gcgrotz

I've never had much luck with them from mid-Madison county. Next time I go up that way I'll try it again but I don't normally get actually in to Culpeper.

Dafe1er

I've never had much luck with them from mid-Madison county. Next time I go up that way I'll try it again but I don't normally get actually in to Culpeper.

Yeah, I do not go out west that way much. Last time I was out that way was about 2 months ago. When I was out there I had the Hp running and all was coming in OK from Fauquier all the way down. I might take this way out to Leesburg this weekend and if I do I hope it comes in even clearer than the HP did for me then.

Thanks.

fredva

Feed Provider
Is there anyone monitoring the Culpepper MOTO 2 system with a 436?
Fauquier / Culpeper / Rappahannock Trunking System, Various, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

For some reason I did not think of testing this system until yesterday. Since I have been listening to it on the 436 it comes and goes and is garbled when they are transmitting.

I was looking to see if anybody is receiving them clear or having the same issue?

If you do have it coming in clear, have you change a setting or two to bring it in better? Or is everything stock?

I am thinking it might be an antenna issue since I am using the stock antenna and the other antenna I use is a 23" mini mag mount inside my home. But want to get some input from you out there.

Thank you.

I remember seeing a thread in which it was suggested to change the receive mode from NFM to FM to fix an issue with the new Unidens. It may have been the problem with receiving Type II systems, but I can't find that thread to confirm.

tlwaltz

I live in Culpeper and have been monitoring with both a 536 and 436 for about a month now. I rarely get any garbled transmissions from Culpeper traffic but I get a lot of broken and garbled communications from Fauquier and some from Rappahannock (both on the same system with Culpeper). I tried the NFM to FM trick from UPMAN but it didn't make any difference. I also tried messing with the P25 settings but it didn't help either. I am still trying to troubleshoot. Has anyone experienced simulcast issues with this system? That's the only thing I can think of at this point. I have tried the 436 in my car while driving around town (with an external Austin spectra antenna) and I seem to only see a slight improvement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dafe1er

I remember seeing a thread in which it was suggested to change the receive mode from NFM to FM to fix an issue with the new Unidens. It may have been the problem with receiving Type II systems, but I can't find that thread to confirm.

I live in Culpeper and have been monitoring with both a 536 and 436 for about a month now. I rarely get any garbled transmissions from Culpeper traffic but I get a lot of broken and garbled communications from Fauquier and some from Rappahannock (both on the same system with Culpeper). I tried the NFM to FM trick from UPMAN but it didn't make any difference. I also tried messing with the P25 settings but it didn't help either. I am still trying to troubleshoot. Has anyone experienced simulcast issues with this system? That's the only thing I can think of at this point. I have tried the 436 in my car while driving around town (with an external Austin spectra antenna) and I seem to only see a slight improvement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have done all the above. I am thinking since I am about 30 miles from Culpeper it is going to be an antenna issue.

Like I had said, driving through was OK on the HP From Fauquier all the way down to about Madison. I was just seeing if anyone did like me changing the NFM/FM and thresholds and now I see tlwaltz has.

I am hoping that there is going to be something to fix the MOTO 2 issue. I have seen a couple people having issues on this type of system and this is the only system to give me trouble with the 436 so far.

Well, I will have a better view of the 436 while going through the area this weekend.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.