Scanner interfearance help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnmsales

I used to have my scanner hooked up to an outside tv antenna and it worked great. The scanner was in the same area as my PC and wireless router and never had interference problems. I have recently had to move my pc to another room and am using the car antenna for it now. I am getting a lot of interference from my pc and router with the scanner. Im pretty sure the antenna is the problem here. Im probably going to purchase a telescoping antenna for the scanner but before I did wanted to see if anyone would be able to give me feed back on if I would recieve the same kind of interference on the metal telescoping antenna as I do with the current one. If so is there anything else I can do to fix this? Could I cover the current antenna wireing in anything that would diminish the interference i am recieveing.

Thanks

Bucko

The problem is probably not so much the antenna but the router or computer emitting un-wanted RF. Using the indoor antenna just gets your scanner a larger dose of the noise as you can see. I would guess you will probably get the noise with the telescope antenna depending where your scanner is located reference to the computer/ router. Moving the antenna or scanner to another location may help or go outside again.

cnmsales

It has to be more to do with the antenna because before I had it right beside the computer and it didnt affect it at all w/ interference. Only sense using the new antenna do I have the problem. Shut the pc off and interference goes away. Hopping someone will know if a telescoping antenna will pick up as much interference as the wire antenna is. Moving it from the PC is not an option as I have it there for a live feed.

DickH

cnmsales said:
Hopping someone will know if a telescoping antenna will pick up as much interference as the wire antenna is.

YOU are the only one who can know what will work and what won't work with YOUR equipment in YOUR location. You'll just have to do what most of us do - keep trying different things until you find what works. There is no easy answer to these types of problems.

cnmsales

Well I know for a fact that coax cable is shielded from out side interference. Thats what im asking. Will a telescoping antenna have the same interference a regular wire antenna does or will it act more like a coaxed cable. Has nothing to do with my equipment really but with how thiese pieces tend to work.

hsdtech

cnmsales said:
Will a telescoping antenna have the same interference a regular wire antenna does.

Probably. It isn't shielded. I would say use an outside antenna or try a rubber duck if your signals are mostly local/strong.

k9rzz

hsdtech said:
Probably. It isn't shielded. I would say use an outside antenna or try a rubber duck if your signals are mostly local/strong.

If you have a hand held, take the duck off and sniff around to see exactly where the RF is comming from. If it's comming off a cable, you might put some ferrite clamps on it.

My PC threw RF all over the HF bands ... I ended up taking the power supply appart and putting in .01 disc caps all over the place ... all is quiet now. But that is an OLD computer.

GOOD LUCK !

John K9RZZ

Status
Not open for further replies.