Scanner Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamT

Hello all,

I purchased a new antenna to monitor railroads in my area. It worked great initially, but recently I've noticed quite a bit of interference recently. It seems to only affect a few frequencies, and only during the day. Any pointers what could be causing it?

Here's a sample of what it sounds like:

AdamT

Ah, ok.

However, the power lines in my neighborhood are underground - Would that change things at all?

rsgorman

Premium Subscriber
I would agree with the electrical interference. I live in Orange County and sometimes Los Angeles comes in clear and sometimes with a lot of static. For my area, sometimes the weather plays a part in it.

a417

However, the power lines in my neighborhood are underground - Would that change things at all?
Not all electrical interference comes from the power lines themselves, there are many things about ground that conduct electricity and can create noise.

...like cheap power supplies.

AdamT

Interesting.

It might also be worth noting, its kind of a sudden occurrence.
These two clips are on the same frequency only 38 minutes apart.

01607700-NFM-200320-161832-LCL.wav

As you can see, whatever is causing the interference "turns on" after the 1st clip. Seems like evidence it could be some kind of appliance?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hello all,

I purchased a new antenna to monitor railroads in my area. It worked great initially, but recently I've noticed quite a bit of interference recently. It seems to only affect a few frequencies, and only during the day. Any pointers what could be causing it?

Here's a sample of what it sounds like:

Tell us about your antenna. Is this a portable radio with antenna, or did you install a base antenna?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If the scanner antenna is mounted outside, take a close look at all the connections. Usually when someone says "It worked fine, but they got worse", it's water getting in connections.

If it's inside, try moving it around to different locations.

Next time you need a "Traintenna", let us know, you can get the exact same thing a whole lot cheaper.

Ubbe

It doesn't sound like any electrical interference to me. It's probably another transmitter close by that interfere and you then get this easy recognisable sound. The fact that it's only during daytime indicates that it happens when people work and use their radio system.

Every user with an external antenna shouldn't be without a variable attenuator. When slowly adding attenuation and the interference suddenly disappears it indicates that the receiver are being overloaded and needs filters or permanent attenuation.

If you have a Uniden scanner with CloseCall the interfering frequency might trigger it so you can see what the frequency are.

/Ubbe

dwell1650

It may be a bad usb-charger or wall-wart somewhere in your neighborhood. Probably in your own house. Try to unplug these one by one to see if the interference disappear.

CN2434

I know it's been a while but I've tried a few things, mostly just unplugging things in the room the scanner is in. Nothing really seems to make a difference from what I can tell.

Also, would this interference be introduced in the antenna or the scanner? I could try moving my radio a few feet, however, my antenna is in a fixed position.

a417

It could be either, or both. It could also be something else on that same circuit, in another room. Try flipping breakers to rule out entire areas, rather than individually unplugging things. Rule out broad regions, then focus on what circuit gives you the biggest issues.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I know it's been a while but I've tried a few things, mostly just unplugging things in the room the scanner is in. Nothing really seems to make a difference from what I can tell.

Also, would this interference be introduced in the antenna or the scanner? I could try moving my radio a few feet, however, my antenna is in a fixed position.
When the interference is present, disconnect the antenna. That will identify if the source is being coupled via the antenna, or power lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.