Scanner phone app vs. a real scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiowave15

Which is better? I see more pros for a real scanner than an app.

Just wondering.

Thanks,
Dan

safetyobc

Depends on what area you want to monitor. For instance, for systems not in your area that is covered by the app, then the app would be better.

But for the most part, a scanner is better. You can monitor what you want and not what the app is broadcasting. You can see the frequencies, TGID's, towers, etc on your own scanner. Typically the app is not showing that information. And at any time, the feed can go down because of power outages, supplier decides to quit or any number of reasons.

radiowave15

Thanks for the reply. Good reasons. I tend to agree. Another hang-up for just using an app is data plan caps. My plan is 4GB per month; I could see that being eaten up very quickly with lots of streaming.

Dan

safetyobc

Didn't think about that. I have the unlimited data (grandfathered in). Although they will throttle if you use too much. lol

jfhtm350

Most of the feeds are pub safety. There is much more than that. Utility, Highway Departments, Aircraft, Ham Radio, CB frequencies. FRS, GRMS, MURS. Cant think of anything else.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
The way I look at it, is buy a handheld. Same concept as an app (carry with you) and you can listen to what YOU want, and not whats being broadcasted on the app ;)

I like both

As already stated, there are reasons why a scanner is better. The app has too many limitations, but in my case I have found two situations where I use it. First, there are times when I miss my home town. I like to listen to what is going on, but distance is a problem. The app is handy for that. A one or two minute delay doesn't really matter . I have also found the app useful when I want to listen in on disaster response for other areas in the U.S. One example would be the tornadoes that hit Alabama. I have unlimited data on my phone, and I don't listen that much, so I don't have issues with useage. The limitation is that a link has to be provided, and as in all cases, there is a delay. When at home, I use this website to listen in. When away from my computer, I use the app. It works for me.

pathalogical

A scanner is the BEST way to go, handheld or desktop. You choose what to listen to and are only limited by battery power. Some users here have them on 24/7 ! Apps are what the online streamer has choosen for you to listen. Get a scanner, hmm, get two or three ! Now that'll make for some good listenin' !!!

On anther note, I like how some FRS packaging is labled: Free air time, no monthly fees, unlimited minutes...

Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
I would go with the scanner too, App feeds are delayed, You can't pick and choose what you want to listen to, and with a scanner you can listen to everything. Railroad is one I see that forgot to be mentioned. Plus you should get better audio out of a scanner VS a phone. Personaly I am against the app's as they have caused many agencies to encrypt their radio traffic. Everyone has their own preferences though. Good Luck out there!!

Status
Not open for further replies.