Scanner recommendation for the wife

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB7MIB

My "newest" scanner is a GRE PSR-500. I have no experience with anything newer.

Some people have little trouble with simulcast. Others have moderate trouble receiving it. Others, myself included, have great difficulty. Uniden seems to be better than GRE/Whistler by most accounts, but some Whistler owners have had near equivalent experience compared to Uniden owners. YMMV, and you won't know until you try.

John
Peoria

eg153wftx

I have a HP 2 and it monitors Mesa Topaz well. using a PC and and customizing a favorites list you can hear all that is not encrypted...In West Mesa with the HP2 I monitor Mesa Gilbert AJ PD and FD on one favorites list then when I am out and about I have other favorites list for what part of the valley I am in, you can download HP sentinel software from Uniden and get a look at how the programming works.

baj76

Uniden fanboy
SDS took care of my simulcast problem...and with the Sentinel software, it's real easy to program, if I can figure it out, anybody can

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I would download a police scanner app to her cell phone FIRST before plunking down $300-$1,000 for a digital scanner.

That would be my advice.

If she is super elated and really wants a scanner you would not be the one posting here asking for advice for your wife. She would be the one posting here. Therefore, get the app. Savvy?

Or get a Uniden BC125AT to test the waters.

AzTac

I would strongly urge you to consider the Unication G4 receiver. Outstanding radio.

I listen to TOPAZ (Mesa PD's system) and RWC (Phoenix and most all other Valley agencies.) I gave up the hobby trying to listen to these simulcast systems on a Uniden HomePatrol 1. The systems simply are not "scanner friendly" for most scanners despite what the scanner manufacturer may claim. I was hearing maybe 20% of the traffic out there on the HP-1. I'm quite certain the HP-2 is no better (since it's only major difference is Phase 2 coverage.) Don't waste your money unless you like expensive paperweights...

The Unication receiver is a professional grade radio that actually handles the Phoenix/Mesa area traffic flawlessly. I could not be happier with mine. It has reinvigorated my interest in the hobby. The G4 cost is the same as a scanner and is programmed through software that is very easy to learn. (Trust me - I found Windows for Dummies to be over my head...)

Do yourself a favor before you plop down $500-600 for a scanner and do a little research on this site about the Unication radio. You'll be glad you did. I certainly am.

K7MFC

WRAA720
I would download a police scanner app to her cell phone FIRST before plunking down $300-$1,000 for a digital scanner.

Great idea - I often recommend the same to people who ask me about getting into scanners. An app is super easy for the non-technically inclined person to use and start listening immediately. The HomePatrol would be my next suggestion if they love the scanner app but want to hear more and want an actual radio. It has an app-like and intuitive interface perfect for a beginner user. I had the first HomePatrol and enjoyed it very much, but it was meh on some simulcast systems. A good antenna can go a long way.

thr33c

Thank you all for the info and input. I have a lot to consider and look into. The app idea is a good one and I will check it out. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.