BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Scanner simulcast reception comparison & issue

Pr999

WRYF747
Premium Subscriber
Yes, simulcast. I understand what it is and the struggles as I have them myself but I don't have the budget for a 650-700 dollar scanner or a 700-800 dollar pager. SO these scanners alone were what I could afford, including my BCT15X.

I had finally bought myself a brand new 996 and I seem to be having peculiar issues with it regarding this system, of course, I know it's a typical thing that happens with all scanners including the best ones, but I decided to compare the signal issues with my 325 and it picks up transmissions way better than the 996. I do not know why this is, but they both show full bars and the cc frequency under it to know it's tracking, but one struggles more than the other.

Also, both are mostly the same programming and threshold level.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Your comparison of the 325 and 996, and the differences you experience may be a product of what antenna is used. Even if the same antenna were used, there are other parameters each radio exhibits that play into the mix. One is designed as a base radio and the other as a portable, with different sensitivity and selectability levels? Try different antennas. I’ve read where some have used nothing more than a paper clip and had success against simulcast. Others have found that avoiding all but the strongest sites will work. So, experiment with antennas and other corrective actions some have found to combat simulcast.