Scanner stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
What's your stats like for your programming? I generally have everything I could possibly listen to in my radio, ya just never know what you'll hear out there. I seriously can hear alot of different types of radio services across the available spectrum.

I know alot of people like the ease of the automatic type programming available to them via zip/postal codes etc. personally, I thrive on the customized programming. I tweak my programming almost every single day. Between, finding new things, editing things, new things, PL tones, systems, talkgroups, radio ID's etc....editing while listening.

I've been lucky enough the last few years to be able to travel around different parts of Eastern Ontario and get an idea as to what's out there to listen to as well as try and contribute to the database here as well whenever I can.

Once you figure out the ease of customized programming to your liking, you can almost guarantee you will be able to listen to something no matter the type it is.

Whether it's Police, Fire, EMS, Airplanes, Public Works, Hydro, FRS radios, Ham radio, Business radio, Taxis, Buses, Military, Transit systems, Railways, Marine, Satellite radio, FM broadcast, Racing, Conventional, Trunking scanning, Digital, Analog, DMR, P25, NXDN, MotoTRBO etc etc etc... I could go on and on, but seriously there's still lots to listen to out there.

I may have a lot of programming that I don't always hear, but at some point I can hear something somewhere, but at
least I'm prepared for many parts of the province and it's not hard to continue to edit this as needed.

A lot of people say there's not a lot sometimes to listen to. I beg to differ, there's plenty of different things to listen to. If you can customize your programming, you'll have something to listen to all the time at your finger tips.

My favourites list looks like this and it just takes off from within them.

Ontario Public Safety - (Police, Fire, EMS, Search an rescue, MNR, security, etc)
Quebec Public Safety - (Same thing, only in Quebec ;) )
Public Works & Utilities - (public works, roads, highways, hydro, road construction)
Transportation - (Planes, trains, boats, buses, taxis, transit, you get the idea)
Business Operations - (Anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else, generally the dull business operations hence most of the widely used business trunked/conventional, digital/analog stuff)
Mutli Service Public Radio - (FRS, GMRS, Ham Radio, CB Etc...you get idea)
Recreation - (Racing, ski resorts, sporting activities, recreational activities)
Conventional Discovery
Trunking Discovery
Quick Save Favourites List

What's your stats like?

Scanner Type:BCD436HP

Statistics

TypeQuantity
Favorites11
Conventional Systems38
Trunk Systems125
Conventional Groups197
Trunk Groups429
Sites692
Conventional Frequencies3049
TGIDs3720
Trunk Frequencies2884
UIDs2385

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
57 Systems
116 Sites
1949 Channels / TGIDs
BCD325P2

Mostly Fire/EMS/Police, with some talkgroups duplicated to systems but with different sites or purposes. But overall, there's always something to listen to for me as well.

Would love to eventually be able to do more searching and contribute more, but still new and broadening my knowledge of things.

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
I take a regional approach on my BCD536HP.

1. First favourite list is Ontario. Starting with towers I can receive for FleetNet. Ten towers from Skylon to Pontypool. Then come all the Ministry agencies. Next is Metrolinx, CN Rail, CP Rail, Coast Guard and Marine.

Then I start local with downtown Toronto Emergency Services, Hospitals, Billy Bishop Airport. Now come all the Regions and counties fanning out from Toronto ending up with Niagara,Wellington, Simcoe County and Northumberland County on the perimeters. Also, I added FleetNet Zone 2 towers in Cobourg, Peterborough( for when conditions are good). Each area starts with the emergency services and ends with business or retail.

Next Areawide Business: OnQ, FleetConnect, FastNet. I enjoy listening to ERU from the IMOS guys. They are fairly blunt when it comes to what they witness on the 401. I also laugh at some of the subscriber radios illiteracy on OnQ with the NXDN aliases like: "Withby" or "Torontoto"

2. Next Favourite list is New York State.Sorted the same way. Border stuff first. New York State Police, Thruway, some bigger Western NY trunk systems. Then the nine counties I can receive with good propogation from eastern Lake Erie to eastern Lake Ontario. (Chautauqua to Jefferson)

3. Third Favourite is what I call Digital Test. Here I put frequencies from threads on RadioReference, then things I discover on my own, or from Search.

4. Fourth, is Toronto Pearson.
5. Fifth list is for ACARS.

I don't have a statistical break down such as yours. Sentinel doesn't seem to give those details.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, all the systems and what not are all broken down into the separate regions as well, including the conventional stuff broken down into counties etc. Once you figure out how to organize and program these radios properly and name your Systems, Departments, Channels , Quick Keys and so forth. They work very well.

I use ProScan now mostly because I figured out how you place your files in order helps dictate the proper order for which it shows up and scan and you can find each thing properly while using it manually. In the ARC program, you can still put it in the right order, but it may not actually be available on the radio scanning in that order. Not sure why that is, but it's very easy to program now with Proscan for myself.

And to think, over the past 20 years I've owned 10 ch, 100 ch, 200 ch. mix of portable/base radios. Then eventually moved on to the models that had at least PL tone capabilities...Boy, have we ever come far with the radios out here now on the markets. Pricey sure, but once set up properly you can ensure a great hobby for yourself.

I've enjoyed all this stuff this whole time. My current model is the 436HP and I use it for base, mobile and portable use. It's a great scanner for what it is. I do like the newest ones out there, but time will tell. So far so good.

Propagation was great this morning and pulled in stuff from all over today including Southern Ontario and I believe into NY State. This hobby is wonderful. :p

You can't fit today's hobby into a 200 channel radio like you could 20 years ago. But at the same time, I've been able to successfully condense everything I could possibly do with this radio and do it in only 11 favourite lists.

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
Another tool in the box while not a traditional scanner is the SDR with DSD+ on my laptop. It's the only way for me to monitor TETRA on the TTC.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I love this question!

On my Home Patrol I have the following faves:
London P25 with Brantford and Woodstock towers,
Almost all of zone 1 tg

A fave list for Charlton P25
GTA FAVE list P25
Halton P25
MOH SW
MOH local
Surv/CiISO P25
Toronto Fire and EMS
Fire local
Conventional OPP
CISO/Surv conventional
Local stuff
Air for XHYM
Air for YYZ
WATERLOO Region EDACS
FleeNet for Guelph, Waterloo P25
FleetNet for Guelph /Waterloo MOH

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
396T

Halton Region P25
Charlton P25
CISO/Surv FleetNet
Mowat
Brantford
MOH Charlton
Fonthill
SW MOH CACCs
Local MOH CACCS
P25 FleetNet
FleetNet Cayuga /King City
MOH conventional
FleetNet swarch
Waterloo Region
Waterloo FleeNet
Guelph FleetNet
Air local
YYZ
Fire
Woodstock FleetNet

I'll try to remember what I have on my 436, a great friend gave me one recently and I use about 15 quick keys on it and saved the rest

E

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
On my 436:

I have well over 100 diff systems but I use the following ones:

Charlton MOH
Charlton P25
FleetNet GTA P25, local towers
London Disp OPP-Using Brantford and Woodstock to monitor while at home
ONQ
Halton P25
FleetNet Mobile, (Brantford, Mowat, etc) MOH
Toronto Emergency Fire
FleetNet Waterloo/Guelph
Waterloo new system
Hydro
FleetNet for Brant and Grey
Peel Region FleetNet
Peel Region P25
FleetNet CISO/ROPE
FleetNet Niagara/Fonthill

When I head east towards Toronto I Have Charlton P25, Halton P25 on with Niagara FleetNet

My ex lives in Oakville and If I stop at my ex's I use my GTA FleetNet and my Niagara FleetNet. Heading east I'll turn off Charlton.

If in Toronto I'll put on my EMS and Fire P25 systems. If I am going to friends in Mississauga I have Peel P25 and Brittania tower and King City also. I turn on and off towers for My FleetNet if I head further than Six Nations and I have a route to Grey Bruce Co when we go there

Status
Not open for further replies.