scanner stores Indianapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

We used to have a Ham/CB store on the eastside of Indianapolis north of 10Th street and we we able to buy used and new CB and Ham Radio Equipment.The store is now closed but they were always busy on Sat and During the week.This was ran out of a couples home.Everyone always enjoyed going there as we were able to get a cup of coffee and talk with the owner and his wife and others who came in thru the front door.

Viper43

For parts, coax and connectors there is still Kings Electronics on Southeastern near downtown. They have lots of odds and ends hidden around there.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yeah, going to King's is a trip back in time. "Yeah, we got them here somewhere," is a standard response. But, if you are in a pinch for small electrical and electronics items, they can usually help you find what you need.

bearcat991

Really no need

There's really no need for a "local" store. You can order online with a few clicks and have it delivered the next day if you want. You would have to invest huge amounts of capital to get started then there's no guarantee you would make it. Probably wouldn't with the bigger stores offering better deals than you could as a smaller business. Just ain't gonna happen folks. So order online and forget it. You can also call any of them they almost all have only licensed hams working for them so they know about anything you want to order.

Viper43

Some like a local store so they can go in and "try it on" so to speak. With radios it's how big is it, how heavy, do you like the keypress feel, how does it sound and so on, can't do that online.

bearcat991

it is nice...

It is nice to touch and feel a product first but there are a few places you can go to do that that aren't that far away. R & L is only an hour or so away and they have about anything you want and are glad to let you feel, play and drool all you want. Nice drive there and the folks are nice to deal with. I have also driven twice to AES in Milwaukee nice store anything you could want and you can touch all day..bit of a drive but I liked it. Also when I was in DC a while back when to HRO store in Woodbridge Va. again nice store anything you want. Also Universal radio is in Reynoldsburg, OH. not too far great people, been there several times nice place and if you love cats they have several lol. Like to go to scanner master store when I'm in that area. It's nice to visit all these places and see what they have and the different stores, I make that part of my hobby.

Now I wanted to say a few words comparing the BCD396XT to the "T" version. Some folks are wondering if it's worth the "upgrade". In a word YES!! If all you need or want is to scan conventional vhf/uhf and conventional trunk tracking you are fine with the T. If you want and need digital like here in Indiana...get the XT..period. I still have 2 T versions and on the Safe-T system they plain don't get the job done like the XT does. Receive is improved on the XT no it's not perfect but on the Safe-T system that damn buurrappp no longer exists. The different display colors are a nice addition and the dimmer 5 stars for that. I find the blue and red are great for low light or dark conditions, the red is best imo. The green, cyan(like baby blue), yellow and white are all good for normal and bright light conditions. The magenta or purple I find difficult to use in any light conditions your mileage may vary. Some have said they miss the orange like on the PSR 500 and others. If you have been in this hobby anywhere near as long as me then you are tired of all of the scanners being orange, but perhaps that magenta could have been replaced with orange as an option jusy my opinion as are all these comments. If you live here in Indiana and you are stuggling with Sate-T or MECA order and XT right now and you won't be sorry, but again opinion. The XT does NOT have the same memory system so you have to learn it many folks haven't taken the time and have bashed the 396XT and the 996XT. They are great improvements and well worth the money.

Blazer500

Scanner Store

There used to be a place named Bud's CB located on US 40 in Stilesville, In that sold scanners. I don't know if they are still around but it might be worth checking out. It is not far from Indy, just west of Plainfield.

Stan

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
There used to be a place named Bud's CB located on US 40 in Stilesville, In that sold scanners. I don't know if they are still around but it might be worth checking out. It is not far from Indy, just west of Plainfield.
Still there. Not Stilesville. On US 40 in Belleville just west of SR 39.

Status
Not open for further replies.